• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your cans!

I don't use headphones much, but when I do, this is my rig: Audio Technica ATH-A900, Millett Starving Student amp I built.

ATHA900_MSS.jpg

I just built one of those, such a wonderful little amp!
 
I forgot to post this earlier....

The old communist HOK-80 orthodynamic from east germany (I've sold it now. Still amazing what they had over there back then.)
kwhhok80v2photo1.jpg


VS

The new capitalist Audeze LCD-2 planar magnetic from the united states (A keeper. Amazing what we can have right now for just $1K + import taxes etc....)
lcd21q.jpg
 
Made some changes to the bedroom setup. Moved the old setup to the living room. I doubt that I will be making any other changes in the near future.


4773067954_27fa7ef0bc_b.jpg
 
... iPad?!
I have had the iPad. The litte dot amp and dac are new.

I have an airport express hooked to the dac and I can control iTunes with the iPad. Also, the iPad camera connection kit allows for a digital out via USB that I also have connected to the dac. :music:
 
I've been using some Sennheiser HD420s I got at a yard sale ($0, they came with some advent loudspeakers I was buying), but the other day I found an old set of Koss Pro/4AAs at a thrift store for $10 (labeled "pilot headset"). The sound quality is amazing, even compared to the Sennheisers, but the pads are pretty much gone, so they're extremely uncomfortable. For more portable headphones I use some cheap Technics RP-HT300s. They're really comfortable, the sound quality is OK, and they're the only decent headphones I have with a 3.5mm plug.

Maybe I'll take some pictures later.
 
I've been using some Sennheiser HD420s I got at a yard sale ($0, they came with some advent loudspeakers I was buying), but the other day I found an old set of Koss Pro/4AAs at a thrift store for $10 (labeled "pilot headset"). The sound quality is amazing, even compared to the Sennheisers, but the pads are pretty much gone, so they're extremely uncomfortable. For more portable headphones I use some cheap Technics RP-HT300s. They're really comfortable, the sound quality is OK, and they're the only decent headphones I have with a 3.5mm plug.

Maybe I'll take some pictures later.

Nice:thmbsp:. As mentioned in several other threads, Koss will repair the pro/4aa's, with new pads, and sometimes wires for $6, including shipping, I believe. The original pads are/were air-filled, I think. Great set, with a great warranty:yes:.

And I love the fact that they were "pilot headset", they do look that way, as do many old headphones.
 
Nice:thmbsp:. As mentioned in several other threads, Koss will repair the pro/4aa's, with new pads, and sometimes wires for $6, including shipping, I believe. The original pads are/were air-filled, I think. Great set, with a great warranty:yes:.

And I love the fact that they were "pilot headset", they do look that way, as do many old headphones.
According to the Koss website, only the original owner of the headphones can send them in for repair. Do they actually care (or have to know) though?
 
The amp was more difficult to build than the phones. Mostly because a friend of mine in Thailand milled the stators and stator housing. I just had to stretch the diaphragm, coat it with a graphite solution and install the cable. I used an old donor pair of headphones for the frame.

I'll post a thread in the DIY section about them within the next couple of days as I think there might be a few people interested.
 
I've been using some Sennheiser HD420s I got at a yard sale ($0, they came with some advent loudspeakers I was buying), but the other day I found an old set of Koss Pro/4AAs at a thrift store for $10 (labeled "pilot headset"). The sound quality is amazing, even compared to the Sennheisers, but the pads are pretty much gone, so they're extremely uncomfortable. For more portable headphones I use some cheap Technics RP-HT300s. They're really comfortable, the sound quality is OK, and they're the only decent headphones I have with a 3.5mm plug.

Maybe I'll take some pictures later.

Pictures are attached.
1) Koss Pro/4AA
2) Koss, showing disintegrated foam, etc.
3) Sennheiser HD 420
4) Technics RP-HT300

And yes, I am a big fan of putting legos and k'nex to serious use. My PlayStation 2 vertical stand is made out of k'nex, for example.

Also, does anyone have an answer to my previous question?
According to the Koss website, only the original owner of the headphones can send them in for repair. Do they actually care (or have to know) though?
 

Attachments

  • SDC10507.jpg
    SDC10507.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 136
  • SDC10508.jpg
    SDC10508.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 96
  • SDC10509.jpg
    SDC10509.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 110
  • SDC10513.jpg
    SDC10513.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 98
And yes, I am a big fan of putting legos and k'nex to serious use. My PlayStation 2 vertical stand is made out of k'nex, for example.

Nice:thmbsp:, big fan of legos here, I like knex a lot too, under-rated building tool, in my opinon. I liked building the giant ferris-wheel the most, that and the tractor. Hadn't thought to use it for stands, makes perfect sense...I use a bannanna stand right now. I'll have to try it out.*

*nice looking clip on the desk, out of lego...i'd almost think you could use a couple select technics pieces and do a little desk clamp. I'll have to try it, and post the results:yes:.

Also, does anyone have an answer to my previous question?

Whoops, sorry about not getting back to you:o. I do not believe koss cares if you have a receipt, so to speak. I believe many members have bought a second-hand set, and koss still honored it. They have one of the best warranties in the buisness, and stand by it. Give them a try, if they don't, well, you are not out much. I can almost guarantee they will take them:yes:.
 
Thanks for the reply. :)

Btw, if you decide to make a headphone stand under the desk like I did, don't use packing tape like I did. It held my Sennheisers fine, but when I put on the Koss headphones it only held them for a few days before the tape came off (you can see the strain on the tape in the picture). Now it's held on with gorilla tape, and it's not going anywhere.

New question: I'm currently running my headphones off the headphone jack on my relatively cheap kenwood integrated amp, the same one powering my speakers. How much of a change would I notice if I got an inexpensive headphone amp instead?
 
Thanks for the reply. :)

No problem, I just wished I had gotten back to you sooner.

New question: I'm currently running my headphones off the headphone jack on my relatively cheap kenwood integrated amp, the same one powering my speakers. How much of a change would I notice if I got an inexpensive headphone amp instead?

You could potentially get much better sound. Which kenwood are you running off of?, headphone outs are almost always an afterthought, but can sound okay sometimes...depends unit-to-unit. If you do a lot of headphone listening, or use it quite a bit in one spot, I would recommend an amp. It doesn't have to be too expensive for good quality sound. You can always start with a cmoy, which is a simple op-amp drive, that many like, for about $20 diy, or around $30-$50 built. Tons of other options, though. Check some topics around this board, and you'll have plenty to think about;)

Oh, and head-fi, another forum, is great. They deal with only headphones, though...tons of info:yes:.
 
Back
Top Bottom