• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lifes little mystery box

It's a Rat Shack Model 30 (dimmer switch box).
I remember my dad had about six of these throughout the house!
 
The curcuit borads remind me of a Lafayette or HK kit.

I'm assuming that's a phono/microphone input board closest to the camera, are you sure it's pre '69? as i see what i believe to be a 16 pin IC on that board.
 
Oh Duh, it looks like a pocket transistor radio from that period. :D Weren't those first ones powered by car batteries? :scratch2:
 
It is neither RS, Heathkit or Lafayette. In fact it isn't a kit of any brand.
The manual I have is stamped 1970 but when I esearched it, I found that it went back a bit farther than that. Which leads to todays clue which may or may not be too obvious so I think I will sand another side of the painted KLH and stew on it a bit longer. Besides to answer Bowties query is a clue in and of itself albeit perhaps a bit obscure.
Nope not a transistor radio and although I will have to look up a clear definition of parametric EQ in relation to audio, I don't think it is in that category.
I will have to classify that as a clue also so until I finish sanding for the day, that's all you get. Then I will pop a few more images of the unit in question and post 1.
Have a wonderful morning everyone.:smoke: :smoke:
 
Oh by the way, I have at least 2 more items in the wings awaiting the mystery post. I will try and keep it interesting with my choices and stay away from the obvious or commonplace.:smoke: :smoke:
 
Unlike Jessica Simpson, Yes. I think it is a preamp of some sort though I have never seen a hinged design like that. Definitely old build style with some thought behind it.
 
A little confused.
My best guess would be a Ham Transceiver from the controls on the front.
Could also be Military receiver.

But it's cool that we're all looking at it and can't get it..
 
Aye, just doing this with it makes it worth what it cost me. It powers up and I found manuals for it so once my current cabinets are done, I will have some time to tinker with it and find out how well it works unless I get wrapped up in another piece that is sitting on the bench. The unit I opened up tonight alternately crys out "Fix me and keep me" and "Fix me,clean and polish me then flip me." I won't say any more about that one as it is a candidate for the next mystery unit.
Sorry I didn't get another visual clue out today but I sent the wife on a "Wild Kabuki" chase and had to guide her into the landing zone so I didn't get a chance to pull the piece out and get some better pics to work with. I won't have images of what she bagged today until Sunday but I am sure there will be a wide variety of opinions on it. I have a few serial numbers torecord as images tomorrow so I am sure I will get at least that deep into the curiousity cabinet.:smoke: :smoke:
ROFLMAO.. Almost forgot.
Preamp and transceiver are both incorrect.:smoke: :smoke:
 
Here's a WAG!

Hi Cheon57,

Its not a preamp, tranceiver, or amplifier, its not a parametric EQ, it's not Marantz, Phase Linear, etc.

But it is short and wide, has a lot of controls on the front panel, and has relatively early phenolic style boards with mostly discrete components and a signal bus with plug in connectors.

From my research, it is a type of Equalizer device! It is something that works at multiple frequencies and at high frequencies - the right most circuit boards with the IF type can transformers and a very early version of an inline integrated circuit, simplifying a very complex set of circuitry.

And it was the forerunner of something pretty much all of us have heard of, used, and may even have in our homes right now, although in a very modern, simplified and automated sense (literally switch in, and switch out). It gave rise to a number of variations, most of which were successful.

Also, you were given hints all along while sanding those KLH Speakers!

Just "B" very certain during this Advent season that you have at least 100 reasons to check out the latest Santa Kloss movie in that Dolby equipped movie theatre, otherwise the reduction of noise will be to no avail!

Regards,

Bart
 
OK, here's the photographic evidence:

Regards,

Bart

attachment.php
attachment.php


My Guess:
The Advent Model 100 Dolby B Noise Reduction System. It has a wider faceplate than chassis like most Marantz units of the day, circa 1970-72 when it was introduced by Henry Kloss.

Description from 1972 Editions of Stereo Directory:
"Tape recording noise reduction unit with Dolby "B Type" for home tape recording/playback of "Dolbyized" prerecorded commercial tapes; operates on both recording and playback of stereo material; separates input level controls for line and microphones, separate output level controls each channel; multiplex filtering for suppression of pilot frequnecies; headphone monitoring output; sold pre-calibrated; S/N improvement 3 db at 600 hz, 6 db at 1200 hz, and over 10 db above 4000 hz. 5" x 12 7/8" x 8 3/4" Cabinet extra, $250."

Photo taken from a recent auction:

b3a6.jpg


What do you think?
 
Very good Bart. It is in fact an Advent Dolby unit. Only difference I can find in your description is that according to the owners manual it might actually be classified as Dolby "A" if I understand the difference between "A" and "B". Come to think of it, I don't have any images of that box in the wood case or even closed for that matter.
The speakers are coming along nicely. 1 set of boxes is ready for a finish sand so I am going to break the other set down and get them ready. The case for the 55 is also painted so before I apply any finish to any of it I will prep that as well. I hope to have everything ready to finish sand by Friday and start oiling on Saturday.
More speakers arrived today. They aren't traditional shaped boxes. Pioneer CS-05's. I broke 1 down today and took a few pics. 1 sounds like only the LF driver is working. Figures it was the one I DIDN'T break down and I opened the one before I ever plugged them in. That'll teach me to get in a hurry. I will post observations and images on those tomorrow. I have a feeling these will make the "Classic Kabuki" list when they are viewed.:smoke: :smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom