• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2275 how much

All this “tax” talk is silly. The value is what it is. All major brands hifi Audio is expensive.
 
All this “tax” talk is silly. The value is what it is. All major brands hifi Audio is expensive.
Just talking $/watt or whatever and many brands are a buck or two and Marantz is at ten. Seems like a serious tax. When new most brands were within a hundred bucks for the same power.
 
Just talking $/watt or whatever and many brands are a buck or two and Marantz is at ten. Seems like a serious tax. When new most brands were within a hundred bucks for the same power.
Most new brands being who? All the highly regarded brands I know of are expensive.
 
Most new brands being who? All the highly regarded brands I know of are expensive.

You're mis-quoting him, he said:
<<snip>>When new most brands were within a hundred bucks for the same power.

... which is true, in '76 there wasn't much difference in price between a Kenwood or Yamaha (for example) 50wpc receiver and a Pioneer/marantz 50wpc receiver.

However, "marantz tax" is just a figure of speech, it's the phenomenon created by more people wanting to collect marantz receivers from the era than (again for example) Yamaha or Kenwood's comparable models.

The nice part is that currently they are appreciating so buy a nice one for today's market price and likely it will hold its value against inflation as long as the market continues this path.
 
You're mis-quoting him, he said:

... which is true, in '76 there wasn't much difference in price between a Kenwood or Yamaha (for example) 50wpc receiver and a Pioneer/marantz 50wpc receiver.

However, "marantz tax" is just a figure of speech, it's the phenomenon created by more people wanting to collect marantz receivers from the era than (again for example) Yamaha or Kenwood's comparable models.

The nice part is that currently they are appreciating so buy a nice one for today's market price and likely it will hold its value against inflation as long as the market continues this path.
Actually I didn’t quote him, I replied to him. And I’m pretty sure my comment didn’t confuse anyone.
 
Just talking $/watt or whatever and many brands are a buck or two and Marantz is at ten. Seems like a serious tax. When new most brands were within a hundred bucks for the same power.

Most new brands being who? All the highly regarded brands I know of are expensive.

We have established that the units from different companies sold new for about the same money.
I have mentioned that the Marantz gear from back then is expensive compared to all other brands. It was mentioned that this is because of supply and demand which is how a free market works.
You ask which new brands as you see them all as expensive. Well back then there were Akai, Nikko, Kenwood, Yamaha, Sansui, Pioneer, Luxman Denon and on and on.
If I didn't understand and you mean new brands today, the Yamaha line has a pile of different components that would fit the bill to be less expensive than the vintage Marantz. Onkyo, also and there are others. And these are well regarded.

The highly regarded lines of Luxman, Accuphase and all those separate component companies are making gear that is not in the same class as a 40 year old Marantz receiver.
 
Last edited:
I think that marantz and Pioneer are running pretty close currently on the "tax", compare the top SX-xx50 and SX-xx80 receivers to the marantz 23xx and 2500/2600, add in the Sansui 33000 for another price-point at the top of the receivers and you've rounded out several of the five-figure price units. It's not just marantz.

The interesting thing I've noticed is that the mid-line receivers seem to be appreciating faster lately and joining their big brothers' new-now ratios.
 
Would you pay for a nice working condition 2275 . Asking is $800 . As in the past while asking value I really hate using eBay as a comparison. Thanks
What did you end up doing? Evidently, that's considered a fair price. Myself, I'm shocked by the inflation of these units. Don't get me wrong, I do like Marantz. About 12 years ago I purchased a mint 2270, freshly cleaned & aligned for $350 on eBay, and I thought that was high. Today they're commanding the prices similar to the 2275. It is a fine sounding unit and is holding up well. That said, if I were in the market to spend that amount of money on a vintage receiver, I'd probably look for a restored McIntosh 1700 or 1900. They're probably at a similar price point for arguably a higher quality unit.
 
A local Marantz restorer says he could make a living just rebuilding the 2270. Bought for a fair price, LED that thing so it glows radioactive hot when lit up and recap the thing and off if goes for big coin and he goes to the bank.
 
In 2018 I finally decided to take a 2275 unit I bought for $100 give years before to be restored. I put about $700 into a recap. It sounds wonderful and I use it to power my JBL L100T. Is it enough power for those speakers? Maybe not but I don't go much past a quarter turn and they get plenty loud while still sounding good.

My next order of business is to get a reproduction case from one of the members here.

I put the Marantz into my system to replace a Pioneer SX-1080. Also a good sounding unit, but I don't have room for everything.
 
I think that marantz and Pioneer are running pretty close currently on the "tax", compare the top SX-xx50 and SX-xx80 receivers to the marantz 23xx and 2500/2600, add in the Sansui 33000 for another price-point at the top of the receivers and you've rounded out several of the five-figure price units. It's not just marantz.
?
There are no 5 figure cost units . And Marantz is still way too expensive for non restored units. I’ve bought restored Pios for what these unopened Marantz units ask or sell for.
 
You've not seen a 33000 go for over $10k? It has happened on evilbay, I watched one that was (supposed to be) NIB go well over that mark a couple of years ago, currently one on there asking $19 (although who knows if he'll get it).
 
I put about $700 into a recap. It sounds wonderful and I use it to power my JBL L100T. Is it enough power for those speakers?
Wow, what kind of caps did you use? My last 2270, spent roughly $150 and I thought I used pretty decent caps. :idea: You could use a bit more power for the L100t's but 2270's can push them good enough. Nice combo.
 
Wow, what kind of caps did you use? My last 2270, spent roughly $150 and I thought I used pretty decent caps. :idea: You could use a bit more power for the L100t's but 2270's can push them good enough. Nice combo.

Your $150 cost was for parts only. If you don't do the work yourself, there's a thing called "labor" that you have to pay someone to do...I can see the $700 for parts and labor.
 
Your $150 cost was for parts only. If you don't do the work yourself, there's a thing called "labor" that you have to pay someone to do...I can see the $700 for parts and labor.

This. Pretty much every board was rebuilt. I have the document somewhere but the bag of old parts I got back was pretty hefty.
 
I just sold mine to a stereo friend for $550. I got it for $450. Deals are out there. Patience is a must. For me the 2275 just didn’t do it. We all hear differently. It was an extremely clean specimen. My friend is now trying to get $800 for it. Pic is before I installed new FM scale LED’s even had the plastic cover for the faceplate 908CCB88-354A-4694-B7EF-C87CD2E4350C.png
 
I just sold mine to a stereo friend for $550. I got it for $450. Deals are out there. Patience is a must. For me the 2275 just didn’t do it. We all hear differently. It was an extremely clean specimen. My friend is now trying to get $800 for it. Pic is before I installed new FM scale LED’s even had the plastic cover for the faceplate View attachment 1731119
That doesn't sound fair, is he going to split the profits with you?
 
That doesn't sound fair, is he going to split the profits with you?
Lol. Life isn’t fair is it. I’m fine with it. I sold it to him with 1 text message. He’s had it on a social media forum for 3 weeks now and has to deal w/general population which is why I prefer to use a network of likeminded people I have met on this journey. Easiest way to find the next owner of pieces I end up with.

Time is money at my age (53) so In my opinion I’m ahead of the game on this one.

I see you also share residence in the same State as us. If by chance you are familiar with the other player in this case, do know I think he’s a good guy. Not bashing him by any means with my story here.
 
Back
Top Bottom