• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCD-301 sonic quality?

The 301 will continue this with a higher end transport. Same feature-function set.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I guess that answers Serge's question, i.e. only difference is transport, which to me is no bad thing since the 201 sounded pretty decent anyway.
 
I guess that answers Serge's question, i.e. only difference is transport, which to me is no bad thing since the 201 sounded pretty decent anyway.

"feature-function" does not mean same circuit design, power supply or DACs. Mike @Audio Classics told me that the 301 weights a lot more.
 
"feature-function" does not mean same circuit design, power supply or DACs. Mike @Audio Classics told me that the 301 weights a lot more.
Ron has stated elsewhere here that the 301 is entirely new. Only the front panel, which encompasses the "feature-function set" is virtually the same.

To me, this makes perfect sense. Between the time that the 201 came out and now, other mfrs have made significant advances, at higher prices. Time for Mc to replace the 201 with a more advanced unit, and at the same time, eliminate all possible gripes from the 201. Seems like they succeeded on paper, and Ivan will tell us if they did in real life.
 
Mine is on it's way too. unfortunately it has to make its way over the pond first so i have to stamp my feet in anticipation for 2-3 weeks just yet. I'm thinking it will all be worth the wait though :yes:
 
New Mac301

The MCD301 sounds real good. I had a MCD201 on loaner while waiting for my new purchase. My neighbor is an authorized dealer:banana:. In every way the 301 is superior. The transport, the feel and quality of the knobs and best of all........... the sound. I like that the display is different than others in there line-up. The 201 shared there display with DVD player. I thought that was cheeeezy.
Again while waiting for my new family member, I had a chance to audition the Classe' 102 and 202. The classe' 202 is a better component. You can hear the Burr Brown Dac's x3 doing there thing. It cost $6500 - 7000 at your local dealer. My neighbor does not deal with Classe' so no discount for me :no:. Anyway back to the Mac. The Burr Brown Dac or Dacs measure right there with the Classe 202 (I am trying to get Mac to give me the low down on the amount of Burr Brown DAC's they are using). Now I would have to borrow the Classe and put it in my system to really listen to the subtle differences. I always use the same test disc when evaluating (Holly Cole, "Don't Smoke in Bed" Track 1 "I can see clearly now"). The Classe' 202 and the MCD301 share the same ability to detail the echo of her voice in the studio, and finger picks on guitar strings. Again great DAC's:music:. This echo and detail is absent in the Mac mcd201, and slightly there in the Classe' 102. The MCD301, takes hard rock and removes the bright or edgy sound. Meaning, I feel the player has a warmer, yet more detailed and refinded sound. A great player for the price. Great job Mac. By the way, I have only about 36 hours of play time. It is getting better with every couple hours.

I am new to this site and look forward to reading and corresponding with you all. I own the following if anybody wants to talk about system compatibility.

Equipment (3) MC501, (1)MC252, (1)MC402, (1) MCD201, (1) MCD301, Anthem D2 pre-pro, Yamaha tx950 tuner, Toshiba HD xa2 player, Sony multi SACD NS999es, PS audio Power Plant Premier Regenerator, Sony bdp-s1 blu ray player, Sony XBR2 60in monitor, Paridigm Signature S8 v2 speaker. Paradigm Signature C5 v2 center speaker, Vienna Acoustics Hayden rear speakers, Definitive Sub 1800TL, Definitive Super Cube II, Shunyata Hydra 8, Shuyata Anaconda/Python Helix Alpha power cables amps and components, PS audio and Shunyata Reaserch outlets, MIT Shotgun S3 interconnects to amps, PS Audio UPC200 for subs w/ shunyater power cables, Monster M1000 HDMI, Monster M1000 interconnects for SACD. Monster M 2.2 bi-wire speaker cable L,C, R (still love them). Shunyata Antares XLR interconnects for MCD301 player. Special dedicated high quality circuit for Audio amps, video and subs.
Also own: Mirage OM6, Mirage BPS 1501 sub, Mirage OMR2 (rear), OM2 (center) Sony PS3. PS audio power cables plus/premier, PS Audio UPC200, panasonic 42 plasma 720p. Did I forget anything?:scratch2:
 
Mike,

Every manufacturer says their product sounds best and blows away the competition. So I will not go there.
We are not bringing out new models that do not perform at or above the level of the previous model. I do agree with the advise given that you should go listen the MCD301 with your own CDs and make your own personal evaluation.

thanks,
Ron-C
Ron,

May I ask what DAC's are used in the MCD301? :music:
 
I hear no noise. The CD transport drawer is very thin, so be careful to load CD carefully. I mean, make sure it is flat and in place. Otherwise it will cause a the drawer to get stuck or scratch you CD. It happened to me.
Also, test other player for yourself. Don't just listen to people who only love MAC's. If anybody knows how many Burr Browns are in the 301 let me please know.
 
It is totally unrealistic to expect any loyal employee to give any other answer
to a subjective question like that in a public forum such as this one.



Carl

Total candor could only be realized within the context of a private e-mail or pm. To expect otherwise would be naive.
 
Is the MCD301 able to decode 20 bit HDCD discs like the MVP871:scratch2: I can hear the sound difference compared to 16 bit cds. HDCD properly decoded sounds better than cds played on the MVP871 which can decode HDCD. The MVP871 is also great cd player. HDCD to me sounds like it has more dynamic range and wider soundstage compared to cds. HDCD 20 bits compared to 16 bits for cd. The 4 extra bits of info on HDCD makes a noticeable improvement in sound playback.:music:
 
If anybody knows how many Burr Browns are in the 301 let me please know.

In the case of the 201 the answer is NONE. It has one stereo Cirrus Logic chip, but no one said anything bad about the 201's sound.

I wonder if the 301 has the same dacs and pre-amp circuit as the 201?

And I agree that the 301 should be compared to other players in it's price range since it costs more than the previous model.

Thank you mac68.
 
Clock is ticking, the 301 arrives this Thursday ! Gonna have it side by side the MCD1000/MDA1000 for a comparison.

Initially I was gonna go with a Prima, or a Cary 303, then I thought may be an Accuphase, or a Meridan, or a NAIM....

Ah, what the heck, wasting time here and there. 301 it shall be !

:smoke::smoke::smoke: :banana:
 
Interesting that Mc chose to switch from Cirrus to Burr Brown DACs for the higher end model. I wonder if they're differential, and thus the 301 is balanced all the way?
 
Back
Top Bottom