• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Member's DIY audio rack pictures, post 'em!

audiozaz

rtfm!? - tl;dr
I'll start this show...

Two flexy racks I made in the last couple of years.

First one is four tier, made of pine and ½" hardware.

Second is five tier, made of recycled (free!) oak and ¾" hardware.

az
 

Attachments

  • flexy1.jpg
    flexy1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • flexy2.jpg
    flexy2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 682
  • flexy3.jpg
    flexy3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 722
  • flexy4.jpg
    flexy4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 909
Register to hide this ad
Here is the flexy I built for my main system and a flexy I built for my father to go under his projection screen.

SDC10699.jpg


SDC10506.jpg
 
Newb question - flexy rack?

So I gather this is a DIY project - any links, etc. that explains it's construction? I may be in need of a rack soon and this could work well. Thanks!

Tiga
 
So I gather this is a DIY project - any links, etc. that explains it's construction? I may be in need of a rack soon and this could work well. Thanks!

Tiga

People often link to TNT audio, which seems to be a good source for the flexy build.

Basic build is pretty self-explanatory: shelves of any number of material held by threaded rods, nuts and washers. You can get quite fancy after that: rubber washers, sand-filled tiers, spikes...

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

az
 
This is my old DIY rack from a few years back. The frame was red oak. The middle shelves were 3/4" MDF, painted matte black, with iron-on oak veneer applied to the edges. The top and bottom shelves were made of two pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together, floating on spikes, which in turn sat on a recessed lip. It was replaced by a Salamander Synergy S40 rack. The Salamander rack was just more rigid, and the shelves were easier to reposition.

2ch_rack.jpg
 
Last edited:
Cool.
I like these threads. Keep 'em coming!

Does anyone use bracing for their flexi-rack?

Anyone used Particle board or MDF for shelfing?
If so, how did you finish it?

Danny.
 
Cool.
I like these threads. Keep 'em coming!

Does anyone use bracing for their flexi-rack?

Anyone used Particle board or MDF for shelfing?
If so, how did you finish it?

Danny.

The shelves on my Flexis are mdf and I routered the edges to make them round. I did not use any bracing and I have not experienced any sag at all with my components on them.
 
I now remember the flexi, I built a few years ago for friends, just got some nordost pulsar points for the bottom, just need to get some mdf, found in the past it got dirty quite easily, anyone paint theirs?
 
I now remember the flexi, I built a few years ago for friends, just got some nordost pulsar points for the bottom, just need to get some mdf, found in the past it got dirty quite easily, anyone paint theirs?

Not only does painting it makes it look nice and protects it, but bare MDF slowly evaporates urea-formaldehyde, which is not a good thing. Ok, so there is no reason to actually panic about it, but it is recommended to seal MDF and to to wear protective breathing apparatus when working with it.

az
 
Anyone used Particle board or MDF for shelfing?
If so, how did you finish it?

Danny.

Bullnose 3/4" MDF, top and bottom painted matte black. On the front and side edges, I applied 3/4" iron-on real oak veneer tape from Home Depot, followed by a coat of clear polyurethane.
 
Racks

I have built a couple
 

Attachments

  • IMG00033-20100103-1653.jpg
    IMG00033-20100103-1653.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG00057-20100125-1216.jpg
    IMG00057-20100125-1216.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 348
Back
Top Bottom