• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mission speakers?

Just connected my almost 30 yrs old 770. Bought a vintage Kenwood receiver (KR-5400) and the setup sounds really great. I would never part with these speakers. Still sound captivating as on the first day. A timeless design.


Glad to hear. My 707's will be with me til the grave. They have been ousted from the reference system, but the 3A's hardly made short work of 'em. Indeed the imaging of the 707 defeats anything my Apogees can do, and that's without any real effort in terms of set up.

For now, the 707's are in my H/T system as mains. Just the addition of this pair alone has made things much more musical.

They are not perfect, but for the price you can find them at used, damn near close. One thing is for sure...very, very musical with a fun and lively presentation.
 
Reviving an old thread, since I just acquired a pair of Mission 707 speakers. So far, so good. Question: are they vinyl or real wood veneer? Looks like walnut vinyl to me, but just wanted to be certain.
 
I have had my Mission 765i speakers for about 15 years now and will never get rid of them. They sound so sweet and image like crazy and can get LOUD and CLEAN! Dual 8" woofers and dual front ports and 4ohm. Got them from a friend of my Brother for $75.
Right now they are hooked up to my H/K hk550 Vxi reciever at 110w.

Opus
 
I modded the XO of a pair of 770 Mission Argonauts awhile back and probably could dig up a schematic if anyone is interested.
They were bright sounding before and smooth as silk afterward after the mod/upgrade.
Let me know here or via PM if any interest.
 
I have a pair of Mission 707 speakers and I don't believe they are real wood veneer.
The corners of the veneer wrap around to the back face of the speaker.

Mark
 
Fairly new to all this audiokarma world but such a delightful and resourceful wormhole to dive into.

I just scored a pair of Mission 707's at GW last friday for $9.99.

The woofers had no foam but they look so stinkin cool... figured an extra $20 for new foam is a worthwhile investment if I can revive them.

I have never refoamed surrounds before so I am a tad nervous and while I've been waiting on them to come in from simplyspeakers.com I was hoping to glean any wisdon or insight?
 
I have the 770 mk2 made in 1981. There the only part of my system that hasn't changed over the last 16 year.
 
I picked up a pair of 731i's a few weeks ago and I find them to be very well balanced with outstanding low end response for such a small speaker. Stereophile had very good things to say about them back in '96. I'll definitely be on the lookout for other Missions.
 
I am a fan...have four of the original Mission 700 Leading Edge speakers and one of the newer Mission 700 speakers with the white woofer cone. Haven't listened to them in years and they need to be used....thanks for the reminder.
 
Mission 737R speakers.jpg Have a pair of Mission 737R's. Recapped them with Dayton 1% film caps. Great speakers. After that long the lytic caps needed replaced. Will keep them. generic photo of the speakers.
 
Last edited:
I scored a pair of 780se ( early 90s version) a few months ago having wanted a pair for years. Great little bookshelf speakers that deserve careful placement , some clean watts and a very good source. Wouldn't mind finding a pair of 751 , 750LE or a pair of 771 aerogel models.
 
I bought a pair of M71's 16 years ago as my first "real" set of stereo speakers for my first stereo system. Still have 'em too. Good little speakers they are. They received high praise and excellent reviews back then. Overall they are decent little speakers. While they are no longer my main speakers, I did recently bring them out of hibernation and was reunited with their sound again. In fact, I was listening through them again today. They still sound the same to my ears as they did back then. Technically better now that I have better associated gear, but the same sonic character is there.

I am always surprised at how large these little speakers sound, especially in a smaller room. Those little 4" fiberglass cones can really kick. In a small room they can sound more like 10"-12" drivers. Crank it up with the right music and they will literally make the walls shake and cause the house to make odd noises. lol They don't go as deep as the big boys, but the bass output is certainly there! I always felt they went deeper than their 65Hz rating though. I've enjoyed reminiscing with them in my system, and it's been fun going down memory lane again. :)

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 7.25.12 PM.jpg

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/511/#V7IdveS9faDQzMxE.97
 
for small bookshelf speakers, the Mission 751 freedom speakers are an absolute bargain .... a pair in rosewood sells for under £150 in the UK on ebay .... these were in excess of £450 several years ago ... these are front ported and weigh approx 6 kg each ... make superb speakers for a desktop pc music system with a budget amp and dac

the older 751 (not freedom model) are rear ported ... these sell for peanuts and are really good .... They won several awards when introduced several years ago

Mission 753 are really good .... a pair in rosewood sells for approx £200 on ebay UK ... I stand to be corrected, but think they were in excess of £800 several years ago ... they also still look good compared to more modern speakers

Do you still have your pair of Mission 751 Freedoms? Do you recommend them compared to the regular 751s? I have a chance to get a pair in mint condition but worried about detail loss in the transition from the metal to the silk tweeter. Is that the case? Also have a chance to get newer Kef Q 100 in mint same price but vinyl clad vs wood for the missions which is really nice looking.
 
Back
Top Bottom