• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most CRANKABLE Speakers

3 10 inch woofers on each side of the cabinet and one on bottom.
 

Attachments

  • +.jpg
    +.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 63
  • 12m.jpg
    12m.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 70
  • rtr y.jpg
    rtr y.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 62
  • rtr3.jpg
    rtr3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 63
Power output: 160 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz

Damping factor: 30

:dunno:
 
  • Like
Reactions: t j
The Dentist's dream... Cerwin Vega 217r's. I had a pair, that would loosen fillings with about 5 watts. First pair of speakers I owned that I actually was afraid to turn the volume up. Heavy beasts, 80lbs. each, a 10" rear firing horn. Placement was critical due to the horn, but not a delicate setup. I had no room in the house, so down the road they went.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: t j
Can anyone suggest a mid priced speaker good for ismply cranking Metal? I have a Pioneer Sx-1250 and a Technics TT. I need some durable loudspeakers that can take some abuse. All suggestions are appreciated...

Although this is totally not what you were looking for, if I did not have an amp as you do already I would seriously consider a set of Alto TS212 with a preamp.

They sound great on just about anything I threw at them and they crank. Oh man do they crank. (Maximum SPL: 127 dB peak, 124 dB continuous (dB-SPL @ 1 m)

https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts212


alto-ts212-3.gif
 
11 just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm in search of 12+...

Ah, my kind of customer when I was working on a repair bench. I know you'd be back again and again - until you learned that just because you have a big, honkin' receiver doesn't mean that you will not drive it into clipping and blow drivers and, ultimately, the receiver.

Kept me in date and tuition money for my years through college.

Cheers,

David
 
Ah, my kind of customer when I was working on a repair bench. I know you'd be back again and again - until you learned that just because you have a big, honkin' receiver doesn't mean that you will not drive it into clipping and blow drivers and, ultimately, the receiver.

Kept me in date and tuition money for my years through college.

Cheers,

David
Bingo:thumbsup:
 
The Dentist's dream... Cerwin Vega 317r's. I had a pair, that would loosen fillings with about 5 watts.
How much you wanna bet that half the people that read your post will find themselves rescheduling (or cancelling) upcoming dental appointments? I've been putting off the replacement of a worn filling (due to natural wear and tear) for a few weeks now :no:. Now that you've provided info regarding something that would hasten a visit, I'll see if I can demo a pair and call the D.D.S. on Monday. Thanks :mad:.
 
  • Like
Reactions: t j
I like to feel it as much as hear it. Don't mind distortion, but I tend to blow drivers.

I love to feel it too! But here's what is going on. As you reach distortion levels (dc on the outputs) because your amp is clipping, you feel it more. So as has been said a few times already, your amp isn't powerful enough for what you want to do, and as you crank it up, you are putting distortion out which in this case is clipping which your speakers see as DC = Blown drivers.

You can feel it a lot without distortion but you will have to pony up with a big high current amp and some capable speakers. Just keep in mind that although 160 watts per channel seems like a lot, it really isn't all that much. My Bose 1801 can put out up to 400 watts into my Kef 105s. Do I ever push it to 12+? No, I don't want to blow my eardrums.

Good clean power is deceptive because it is loud, but there's no distortion, so you think you need to turn it up more.

Put on Avril Lavigne's Sk8tr Boi, and I guarantee you will feel it, if your equipment is capable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: t j
No disrespect to my boy the 1250, but it sounds like you need a couple of Crown 2500s and some pro speakers. My Jbl stack will knock empty glasses off a table. Definitely suggest going the DIY route.
 
  • Like
Reactions: t j
I would go with jbl pro if possible. The 4738 or 4735 models with the loudness on your pioneer engaged. You would be shaking the foundation and with the 600 watt rms power handling your horn drivers will last longer without blowing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: t j
I just got back from Berlin, and I was at the amazing club Berghain. They have the most massive Funktion one speakers. They are at least 15 to 20 foot tall horn speakers that are on another level of size, power and frequency response. I love techno, and now I want some Funktion one speakers, even though they are technically pa speakers. It is worth going to this club just to hear the speakers (even at the expense of ones hearing )

There are no more crankable speakers than these :banana:
 
  • Like
Reactions: t j
Actually I should add, that not only am I glad I don't live near anyone blasting their choice of music upon my ears, I am also glad I don't have to listen to it on most the speakers that this thread listed. If your going to listen to music at least do it with speakers that produce it well, not some crappy speakers that are noted for being harsh driven at levels where the harshness is also distorted.
 
Actually I should add, that not only am I glad I don't live near anyone blasting their choice of music upon my ears, I am also glad I don't have to listen to it on most the speakers that this thread listed. If your going to listen to music at least do it with speakers that produce it well, not some crappy speakers that are noted for being harsh driven at levels where the harshness is also distorted.
SNOB ALERT!
 
Back
Top Bottom