• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most CRANKABLE Speakers

I would go with jbl pro if possible. The 4738 or 4735 models with the loudness on your pioneer engaged. You would be shaking the foundation and with the 600 watt rms power handling your horn drivers will last longer without blowing.
Good advice. I must say that the Stadiums that I picked up for $75 are holding their own. A little tinny, but my room is bare walled with hardwood floors.
 
No disrespect to my boy the 1250, but it sounds like you need a couple of Crown 2500s and some pro speakers. My Jbl stack will knock empty glasses off a table. Definitely suggest going the DIY route.
WOW! You guys are way beyond my level. I might have to get a new house in the country where I can go crazy. It might be easier than constantly replacing my speakers
 
I love to feel it too! But here's what is going on. As you reach distortion levels (dc on the outputs) because your amp is clipping, you feel it more. So as has been said a few times already, your amp isn't powerful enough for what you want to do, and as you crank it up, you are putting distortion out which in this case is clipping which your speakers see as DC = Blown drivers.

You can feel it a lot without distortion but you will have to pony up with a big high current amp and some capable speakers. Just keep in mind that although 160 watts per channel seems like a lot, it really isn't all that much. My Bose 1801 can put out up to 400 watts into my Kef 105s. Do I ever push it to 12+? No, I don't want to blow my eardrums.

Good clean power is deceptive because it is loud, but there's no distortion, so you think you need to turn it up more.

Put on Avril Lavigne's Sk8tr Boi, and I guarantee you will feel it, if your equipment is capable.
Great advice. Thanks. I'll probably stick with my 1250 for now due to the retro phase that I'm in, but what's good as far as modern amps go? Under $1000...
 
Since you don't mind distortion and apparently know your going to blow them, why not just build your own boxes, XO's and keep some cheap drivers on hand for when you do blow them? Or, Blast Headphones?
I'm still trying to find my ear as far as good sound goes. I grew up on boom boxes with all the speakers blown. If I built my own, I'd be spun out. I'm really trying to find a good reference point to work from. I just threw a woofer in my Mitsubishi DS-36BR's. I'm actually pretty lost here. I hope to find some rugged speakers that match up with my vintage receiver. I'll be researching all these suggestions for a while. These $75.00 JBL Stadiums are great sounding but history is not in my favor. I'll surely blow them at some point...
 
Two pairs of HPM-100, stacked, will give you a VERY large soundstage, recordings like The Who`s "Live At Leeds" sound nice with this setup....
Yes, that's my wheel house. The Who is a band that I cannot listen to at civilized levels!
 
Because your amp is to weak.


Your amp is to weak.


Because your amp is to weak.

You need to learn about power vs. speakers.
I'm trying man, but I get questions instead of answers so I'll just shake the walls until it hits me...
 
Great advice. Thanks. I'll probably stick with my 1250 for now due to the retro phase that I'm in, but what's good as far as modern amps go? Under $1000...

FWIW, clipping is not DC on the drivers...

Far as good modern amps, for way less than $1000 you can get a pro amp that will melt most speakers if you wanted to. You want loud and proud? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Recall that stack back in my photo? That's capable of 9kW, give or take, of clean, clear power. Neighbors a block away report ripples in their beer. LOL.
 
Last edited:
It would help, a lot, if you told us the application, party room, are you a DJ?
Size limitations, if any?
Budget?
Just an aging headbanger from the burbs. My entire downstairs is my club. I have bare walls and hardwood floors with 8' ceilings. My setup is in a room about20' wide and 40 feet deep. Not too picky about reproduction. I just like to play it loud and feel it flow through me...
 
FWIW, clipping is not DC on the drivers...

Far as good modern amps, for way less than $1000 you can get a pro amp that will melt most speakers if you wanted to. You want loud and proud? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Recall that stack back in my photo? That's capable of 9kW, give or take, of clean, clear power. Neighbors a block away report ripples in their beer. LOL.
Any "Pro amp"? Name one so I can get my bearings. I might have too much consumer type equipment blazed into my sub-consciounse...
 
Back
Top Bottom