• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most overrated band

Allow me to slaughter another sacred cow:

The Velvet Underground.
I don't care if you "launched a thousand bands", outside of a couple of great songs, you suck.
Lou Reed solo? Why?:no:

Jeez, there goes your hipster cred, right out the window! They're like Elvis for people who dress in all black! (Have to confess a similar sentiment, though... But I like Lou Reed's work a lot, esp. the later stuff like "Magic and Loss")

What's next, dissing other seminal bands who sold 17 records but are now enshrined in the Underground Hall of Fame? 13th Floor Elevators? Big Star? The Charlatans?
 
All in good fun.

Sonic Youth - married, socially conscious, and dull
Replacements - non-charming drunks
Elvis Costello - by virtue of his marriage to that Krall chick
Pink Floyd - I have become... comfortably dumb
Rush - a band without chick fans is just plain creepy
Beach Boys - chug-a-lug bull session with big daddy and later acid Smile dada
Rolling Stones - Faces wannabees
Beatles - ripped off the Everly Brothers then took too many drugs
The Clash - did not even understand their own lyrics
The Jam - time to lose the shag haircut
Nick Cave - his movies are pointless too
Tom Waits - pure shtick
Nick Drake - wash your hands
Clapton - "darling, you look wonderful tonight"
Kinks - too English
Ramones - gabba gabba boring
Hendrix - wrote and performed "Machine Gun"
Bob Marley - ripped off the Banana Splits
VU - PU

Haha, excellent, I laughed at these. And "Tom Waits - pure shtick" is just plain accurate.
 
I've never cared for Steely Dan, but what bugs me the most about them is when the one song comes on the radio, and it sounds exactly like the opening to Horace Silver's "Song For My Father", but then I realize it's just that crappy Steely Dan song again, and I'm pissed. I think I'll go play some Horace Silver now.
 
A genre that should never have been started. Oh well, without King Crimson, Yes, Kansas and ELP we might not have had the Ramones.

Hmmph! I might just stop looking for horns after that.

On another tack...
I've already kicked the Moody Blues once, so I have to say there are two of their songs I find myself playing for pure enjoyment, so I guess I like them a bit after all.
 
Munford & Sons

THANK YOU! And I'll toss up another vote for U2. I'm going to vote for the Police and Led Zeppelin too. The Beatles. Pink Floyd. The Dead. Have I insulted everyone yet? :D

Although I really think everyone is overrated at a point. All of those groups above (except those motherf*cker and sons posers) definately did have some good tunes. They just shouldn't be revered as the best group EVER or thought of as total musical geniouses.
 
Here goes...

Eric Clapton
Bruce Springsteen
The Rolling Stones
The Eagles
Jackson Browne
Tom Petty

And on and on and on...

S.J.
 
Back
Top Bottom