• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need Advice ASAP !

Nice grab !...:thmbsp: that's a beautiful console.....:yes:



Pretty much how my wife acted when she saw - I bought it before she had seen it and when she did - she already picked out a spot for it and NOPE - it ain't in my cave !:tears:

This is an opportunity....you could slide some nice solid state stuff in there,speakers with nice wood cabinets and have a nice living room system.
 
Wow! congrats on just an absolutely gorgeous looking cabinet and a real nice looking Dynaco kit as well, also diggin on the Gerrard turntable as well.

Man what a score for you! you mentioned being a novice to tubes, i hope you don't let this keep you from being able to use these and enjoy them, you just acquired a real nice setup to start your journey into tubes :yes:

Chris
 
Oh, is that gorgeous! If that console isn't worth a thousand bucks, it should be. Between that and the sweet tube gear, you gotta be in stereo heaven!
 
Congrats on a nice acquisition - good start into tube world. The cabinet looks splendid as well.

Only one question: Why do you keep referring to your wife as "the boss"? Do you both work at the same place and she's above you in rank or something? :scratch2:

:thmbsp:
 
Max, is that even a question? :D WAF is an acronym for a reason.

Hey man, she took interest by picking out a spot, mine would as me when I was getting rid of it.
 
Wow! congrats on just an absolutely gorgeous looking cabinet and a real nice looking Dynaco kit as well, also diggin on the Gerrard turntable as well.

Man what a score for you! you mentioned being a novice to tubes, i hope you don't let this keep you from being able to use these and enjoy them, you just acquired a real nice setup to start your journey into tubes :yes:

Chris

Thanks Chris - I really love it already - I'm ready to learn about tube gear. It's really peaked my interest just lately, so this was good timing. I look forward to diving in, but I'm in no rush ! I sure wouldn't want to screw something up out of stupidity !
 
You weren't lying about the cabinet being a nice one. Conrgats on the score!


Thanks Buddy -- I tell you - it's one heavy sucker -- took 2 big old country boys to get it in the house -- I paid them for helping - still came out dirt cheap.
 
Congrats on a nice acquisition - good start into tube world. The cabinet looks splendid as well.

Only one question: Why do you keep referring to your wife as "the boss"? Do you both work at the same place and she's above you in rank or something? :scratch2:

:thmbsp:

I'm hoping to make a good start into the tube world.

Yep, I call her " The Boss " - the REAL TRUTH - I'm the damn boss in this castle - I'm 6' tall and high energy - she's 4' 11" and high energy to. I'm also a full time self employed professional photographer ( you can't tell by the snapshots I posted here - I mainly shoot people pics ) I have NO BOSS - This last January we had been married for 32 years and that was after going out for 5 years. Heck, she knows me better than I know me. Seriously, I couldn't have a better one - I do pretty much what I want to do - even though the bulk of - she considers silly. April 10th my son and I are heading out on a 2-3 week motorcycle road trip. We'll end up around Deal's Gap in the Smokey Mountains and by the time we get back here, we'll have gone around 2500 miles - we also plan on getting a hotel room every 3rd night and the rest, we're camping out. What wife do you know of that would encourage something like that ? Like I said - I've got a good one - I call her Boss for her to get over the short person syndrome ! :no:
 
Last edited:
Well it was meant to be, but you didn't say that the thing was almost as big as a condo! I am no expert at types of wood, but have collected antiques for over 30 years, and based on most of my objects my first guess based on the grain its walnut, my second one would be mahogony only because of the reddish tint. But for the most part Mahogony doesn't have as large of a grain pattern as yours so I am going to stick with the Walnut and the varnish has aged giving it a redish tint. I would almost be willing to say for sure, its not teak.

I also want to commend you and your actions regarding the fashion in which you seem to have great respect for your wifes opinion, it probably goes a long way on why your marriage has been successful for so long. My wife has always been very supportive of my continual obsessions and unlike you I have many times purchased big items without her knowledge or consent, sometimes when it affected our budget. Your statements make me feel a bit guilty now as I should have requested her approval proir to my purchases. But as I said, I am a bit compulsive.

I just looked at that again, others can chime in but thats walnut!
 
Last edited:
I'm hoping to make a good start into the tube world.

Yep, I call her " The Boss " - the REAL TRUTH - I'm the damn boss in this castle - I'm 6' tall and high energy - she's 4' 11" and high energy to. I'm also a full time self employed professional photographer ( you can't tell by the snapshots I posted here - I mainly shoot people pics ) I have NO BOSS - This last January we had been married for 32 years and that was after going out for 5 years. Heck, she knows me better than I know me. Seriously, I couldn't have a better one - I do pretty much what I want to do - even though the bulk of - she considers silly. April 10th my son and I are heading out on a 2-3 week motorcycle road trip. We'll end up around Deal's Gap in the Smokey Mountains and by the time we get back here, we'll have gone around 2500 miles - we also plan on getting a hotel room every 3 night and the rest, we're camping out. What wife do you know of that would encourage something like that ? Like I said - I've got a good one - I call her Boss for her to get over the short person syndrome ! :no:

I've always fantasized about buying a motorcycle (BMW R 1200 GS) and going on a long tour. Kudos. I get the irony of "the boss" thing now. :thmbsp:
 
Well it was meant to be, but you didn't say that the thing was almost as big as a condo! I am no expert at types of wood, but have collected antiques for over 30 years, and based on most of my objects my first guess based on the grain its walnut, my second one would be mahogony only because of the reddish tint. But for the most part Mahogony doesn't have as large of a grain pattern as yours so I am going to stick with the Walnut and the varnish has aged giving it a redish tint. I would almost be willing to say for sure, its not teak.

I also want to commend you and your actions regarding the fashion in which you seem to have great respect for your wifes opinion, it probably goes a long way on why your marriage has been successful for so long. My wife has always been very supportive of my continual obsessions and unlike you I have many times purchased big items without her knowledge or consent, sometimes when it affected our budget. Your statements make me feel a bit guilty now as I should have requested her approval proir to my purchases. But as I said, I am a bit compulsive.

I just looked at that again, others can chime in but thats walnut!

Ken - I had 2 guys there when I was loading it up that were SICK that they didn't get this -- one is a local custom home builder and the other guy is a carpenter that works for him - they both said it was black walnut without a doubt. Either way, it looks darn good and I can't wait to get it setup in our main living area where I have my JBL's - and they are FOR SURE walnut - have the brochure on them and when I have them sitting beside this cabinet, I'm pretty sure it'll confirm it's walnut - the color, grain, everything is exactly like the JBL's

Nah, don't feel guilty about not telling her EVERYTHING - we all have our secrets - it's just bigger ticket stuff mainly right now with the economy the way it is ! And the other truth is - if I get my mind on something - she might as well give in - she'll get sick of hearing about if not ! And I think anyone in this particular hobby almost has to be compulsive - how would you ever land great deals like this if you weren't ?
 
I've always fantasized about buying a motorcycle (BMW R 1200 GS) and going on a long tour. Kudos. I get the irony of "the boss" thing now. :thmbsp:

Quick story about the motorcycle situation. I have always loved them - rode them from the time I was around 9 or 10 until - yep, you guessed it - when I got married - Becky always said she hated them and was scared to death of them. SO, I sold the one I had when we got married. For the past 30 years, she has heard me whining relentlessly about wanting another one. A couple of years ago I guess she heard enough and said " Darn, why don't you just go get one and be quite about it " that following weekend, she went out of state to her niece's wedding - came back and my Triumph was sitting in the driveway. She almost stroked out on me. That was two years ago - since then, she has decided that I must have worked most of the STUPID out of myself and has said many times - that's she never seen me happier than when I take off on the bike. I owned a 68 Triumph Bonneville back in high school and loved that bike more than anything - so here I am almost 40 years later with this HUGE grin on my face just thinking about that Triumph on the back porch. So, I own a Triumph in a Harley world.

Oh, and I love BMW's, Aprillias, etc... great bikes !

P.S. My avatar is a Triumph Speedmaster - that's what I own and ride and they're still made in England. Triumph started building bikes 2 years before Harley and have never stopped !
 
Last edited:
Guy at work has a burgandy speedmaster, I rode it around the lot, nice and smooth machine and it wasn't cheap. I took my gixxer out 2 nights ago, big mistake, my clutch hand hasn't been the same since, must have been the cold.
 
Back
Top Bottom