• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New version of Jico SAS stylus July 2016

IME I thought mine lost that magic 3D effect way too soon. Don't think I would pay over $200 for one.
 
^^^ I really like the HE stylus for the Shure M91. IME it gives a nice boost in resolution and is quieter in the groove. YMMV
 
I am bumping this thread in hopes that someone has a new version SAS stylus and make some comments about it. I know its expensive but there must be someone out there with deep pockets and an inquisitive ear :)
 
I'm interested as well. I've found that my mid-fi Marantz 6300, with a M91ED/JICO SAS sounds really good. REALLY good. Good enough that, when I read of the discontinuation of the SAS, I bought a backup. Maybe these sound as good or better...but the $211 price tag makes me wince.
 
Had a M97xe sitting around. Ordered up a Neo-SAS Sapphire for it tonight on a whim. Should have it in around 4 weeks and will report back. LOVED the original SAS on this cart - one of the best rock and roll carts ever. Suspension crapped out on it and went back to the trusty ATs. We will see if it's worth double the original.
 
IME I thought mine lost that magic 3D effect way too soon. Don't think I would pay over $200 for one.
I had the same experience. When it was really good, it was fabulous. Then the magic 3D soundstage faded and it sounded just "good".

I have another original SAS for the v15-III in storage. When the time is right I'll use it again.
 
I absolutely adore the V15RS and need a new stylus for it; unfortunately, while I would have been more than willing to pay old SAS prices, $244 is just out of my comfort zone. Looks like it'll be the LP Gear VividLine for me!
Turntableneedles.com has the JICO non-SAS, HE replacement for $140. I got an MR version a few month ago for $95, about $30 less than from JICO direct, at the time. Also, there was a lot of confustion on JICO's part as to the correct model. It is the VN5xMR. They told me the the VN5MR was the only fit. The HE was the original equipment in the V15RS, I believe. I still have that one, and it sounds OK. I use it on old LPs with a lot of surface noise. They don't wear out as fast as we are told.

I am alarmed to hear that some of you experienced premature failure of your SAS models! I have one of those, too. It is my "B" cartridge/stylus combo, so I can use it sparingly. All together I have one MC, 2 Shure V15RS, and 4 Shure styli.
 
PS. I love my Shure, also; but $211 makes no sense at all! How long will the internals of the cartridge last? It's already 25-30 years old! Stylus cost has always been the problem with the V15s. I originally bought the RS because it was cheaper than replacing the stylus on my V15 III. Now I can't find the III. I was sure I kept it somewhere. Drat! Was it on the old Dual I gave away?
 
Hopefully at $200+ the stylus will last somewhat longer. My guess is I got about 500 hours of that magical 3D effect. It was great while it lasted. It still sounds good but probably not quite as good as my Jico HE/M91 combo.

In comparison to my Grado MCZ stylus it's damn close, not as full in upper bass/lower midrange but IME easier to achieve sparkling open transparent highs. The Grado is much pickier than the SAS in regards to setup. When both are right they will amaze for the price.
 
While I understand the disappointment, styli with such specs are creeping up in price as time goes on, so at some point you either have to pay the piper or downgrade. Even at the higher price, there isn't a supplier that has anything with the same specs at the same price. So while I share in the general disappointment that JICO stylus options aren't quite the value they used to be, I would much rather have them around as an upgrade option than not, and the price is still relativity reasonable. (emphasis on relatively)

I loved my old SAS for my V15 Type III. It matched (and in some aspects outpaced) my VN3MR stylus. Unfortunately my SAS broke (kids+ball in the listening room = bad time), so I'll eventually get it replaced with the new version when I can afford it.
 
Has anyone had an old Shure cartridge fail or degrade? Isn't there some rubber component inside that can harden? I just want to know if investing in new styli will be risky going forward. My next experiment will be with capacitance loading. Since neither of my phono stages allow it, I'll get a DB Systems rig. Please share your experiences.

While I understand the disappointment, styli with such specs are creeping up in price as time goes on, so at some point you either have to pay the piper or downgrade. Even at the higher price, there isn't a supplier that has anything with the same specs at the same price. So while I share in the general disappointment that JICO stylus options aren't quite the value they used to be, I would much rather have them around as an upgrade option than not, and the price is still relativity reasonable. (emphasis on relatively)

I loved my old SAS for my V15 Type III. It matched (and in some aspects outpaced) my VN3MR stylus. Unfortunately my SAS broke (kids+ball in the listening room = bad time), so I'll eventually get it replaced with the new version when I can afford it.

I believe the VN3MR has a Beryllium cantilever. Something JICO can't offer. I think the stuff turned out to be toxic to work with and that's why theses cartridges were discontinued.
 
FWIW, Expert Stylus Co. in England specializes in sapphire cantilevers and the Paratrace tip on the M97xE. It's one of their shelf items. For those who have M97xE's this could be a cheaper alternative, plus, Expert Stylus uses original Shure styli parts for their upgrade styli with Shure's blessing as they are an authorized Shure repair center.

The only problem is they take a hell of a long time. I've been waiting since May and still nothing. And, I'm not exactly certain how much this thing is going to cost me in the end. I *think* about $200. But I'm not certain because, well, information is NOT an Expert Stylus specialty.

This was supposed to be a remedial measure by ES for the Pickering stylus retip that they bodged, which I sent to them last November. Here it is September . . . tick, tock, tick, tock . . .

I'm trying to decide if you're advocating for or against them!!! :rflmao:
 
I absolutely adore the V15RS and need a new stylus for it; unfortunately, while I would have been more than willing to pay old SAS prices, $244 is just out of my comfort zone. Looks like it'll be the LP Gear VividLine for me!

I actually preferred the VividLine over the SAS. More forgiving of those little clicks and pops
 
Back
Top Bottom