It's 'E' 'I' because the core is made from 'E' shaped and 'I' shaped pieces.
well then why did you say the terminals on caps really dont have anything to do with anything?
You must have me mistaken for someone else.
Probably drifting a bit OT, but one should remember that the PS caps ability to deliver current shouldn't have any significant affect on the amps output until the voltage sags so far that the amp actually clips. It's the amplifier circuit (and its feedback) that determines what the output looks like and if the output doesn't look like the input, even when the supply varies, I'd accuse the amplifier of a significant design flaw. Unless you use tubes, then all bets are off, because the gain and amount of feedback are less.
each channel is using two 80v 6800uf caps, im replacing each with 100v 10000uf for a total of 40000uf filter capacitance instead of 27,200uf... and what about using 2 "ordinary" caps of, say, 5,600uF (total of 11,200uF) instead of a single expensive 10,000uF?
Hi,each channel is using two 80v 6800uf caps, im replacing each with 100v 10000uf for a total of 40000uf filter capacitance instead of 27,200uf
i guess i could rig it up to use 4 caps per channel, but i dont think i want to. thats something to keep in mind though. sorry for not really understanding at first
I mentioned this in another thread. The older caps have different specs than newer caps. I can't say for sure what the specs were in the old caps but the new caps have published specs. When you get to the larger caps, ±20% is common and with modern 6-sigma manufacturing techniques, the cap can be built at the low end of the range, say 10-15% below the value stamped on the cap. Back in the day, statistical process control was just getting underway with W. Edwards Deming's work at Sony in the 50s. I'm sure that the improvements were spread throughout Japan but how long it took to get to the capacitor manufacturers, I don't know so a new cap back then, maybe rated -10%/+70% may well have been built at the +20% level to achieve consistent 'on-grade' production. I'm not saying this is the way they were made, just throwing it into the discussion on caps.
This means that 10,000 cap would be measured at 8500-9000 for a new cap and measured at 12000 for an old cap when new. That is a big enough difference to be a possible cause of the lack of performance on the new caps. We may be putting in caps that were below what was used back then and calling it good.
You know of course that the heart of a good amplifier (particularly SS but also Valve) is the transformer, increasing filter capacitance only helps a little and up to a point.
Hi,
Yes, I meant using multiple caps in parallel instead of a single for higher ripple current ratings and overall performance. But the Cornell D. caps are good enough to avoid the hassle of multiple caps in parallel. Which size (diameter and height) are the original main filter caps?
Are you also replacing the rectifiers for the new 40,000uF total capacitance?