• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pioneer Rack System

it's kind of like he stoll it at that price. I bet he can get anywere from 2 to 5 times what he paid for the hole setup.
 
Well the cassette player was broken, the tv tuner is useless, and I have no reels - so those three things (and the burwen units) sold on eBay at market value - hardly what I would call a 'score'. I got $365 of the investment back already. With the exception of one rack, I plan to keep the rest for myself and am mostly done restoring it all (just the two SPEC units left). I shipped off the tuner to punkerX for an alignment and upgrade - so hopefully sometime early next year I will be listening to these for the first time.

Oh, and the seller listed the brochures separately a week later - so that cost me another $60. I wish he would have just offered them to me for more money while I was there. He was fully aware of what he was selling. We had a nice chat about vintage audio when I went to pick the stuff up. I think he just wanted to get rid of them easily and in one shot.

It was definitely a good deal, but I did not buy them to flip. I have had my eyes on a SPEC rack for quite some time now - this is just the first one I came across that I could actually afford!

It was pretty cosmetically dirty stuff. Took me a good 8 hours to clean everything up (just the outsides, not the insides).

The group appears to have been purchased in Germany, it's all multi voltage which is kind of neat. The racks are a bit beat up and those screw-turny-thingers that hold it together are missing in parts and the particleboard is chipped in several places. The metal is kind of scuffed too. I guess it could use a nice coat of silver paint but I don't think I am going to take it that far. Once the gear gets put in I plan to post more pics.
 
I think this thread illustrates a couple of good points :

1. You must have a pretty understanding wife. That's terrific.

2. The best opportunities sometimes come at inopportune times. Being prepared with cash or available credit on a card is vital to being able to take advantage of a great opportunity.

3. As much as some people grouse about SUVs, having one is often a necessity for "hauling treasure".


I recently had a great opportunity present itself to me. An item that I had desired to purchase for some time became available to me at a great bargain. Although this was not the ideal time for me to purchase, the item and the opportunity was not going to present itself again, maybe not ever again. It was the one best chance I would ever have.

Fortunately, I was able to pull the trigger, and I don't believe that I ever will regret it. But being prepared for the opportunity was the key!

Congratulations to fellow member xoaphexox on his purchase. I'm sure he will greatly enjoy his new purchase for a long time!
 
I re-read the post I placed late last night - it sounds like I was being negative, pointing out the bad things. Overall things are not bad - all the pieces of gear that I will actually use are in good condition and will refurbish nicely and I am very happy with this purchase.

It took me about an hour to tear down the two racks when I got there, and I was able to stuff them in to the back seats and trunk of my 2010 Ford Fusion and there was enough room in the passenger seat for the understanding wife.

The spec gear is still sitting with the racks out in my garage. They will come in when I finally get this Pioneer SA-9100 off my bench. All I have left to do is replace the ripple filters.

Happy Holidays!
 
I can only echo what 70salesguy said. To me the first point is the most important - my wife is great too. I am looking for ward to hear the feed-back after the first listen and the pictures after the restore is done.
Congrats and enjoy!
 
Well I am in the middle of the SPEC-4 restoration but I managed to get a pic of everything put together (although you will notice the SPEC-4 is just the faceplate).

So far so good, can't wait to hear it all!
 

Attachments

  • rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 71
Well after over 6 months of restoration, including a trip to PunkerX for modifications and alignment of the tuner and a trip to Echowars for repair of the SPEC-4, the system is complete and working fabulously!

29485_398960556198_593496198_4710822_5761514_n.jpg
 
I was getting a big kick out of quickly changing the reverb time on the SR-303 while I listened to people talking on NPR.

Both effects are really neat but I don't think I will ever listen to music this way :)
 
You can hook up the reveb as a dead end so the display operates but it does not effect the sound or the actual signal path. I don't even have the "return" cables hooked up to mine. I use it as a light display.


By the WAY that great deal sure looks like you worked for it LOL
 
Back
Top Bottom