• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Please Post your Infinity speakers

Infinity RS III's

RS III's back for a listen and possible capacitor upgrade even if not necessarily necessary:yes:
 
Last edited:
I have a pair of RS Kappa 9's, and the original, 2-channel, IRS Modulus sat/sub set-up that I swap in from time to time. Incredible sounds from both.
 
I'm new here, found and joined the forums to figure out what to do with a pair of RS-4001's that have been in storage for a decade. They do not have EMIT, and are in pretty bad shape. One 8" woofer is completely missing, lost in a move I guess. At least one of the mid-ranges and tweeters had trouble and don't know how to tell if the crossovers need work.
I'm in Austin and am considering selling them as a last resort if I can't get the parts to get them back to their original condition. What prompted this is my fiancee likes to listen to Pandora through her laptop speakers and while the songs may be good, the sound quality gives me a headache.
 
May be better to start another thread in regards to the speakers in question.

And look in ebay for replacements. Value questions will be best tolerated in dollars and cents.

But open a thread and you will get some responses...and welcome to
AK... its a very good place. and dont forget to read the forum rules.
 
Guess it's Time to Post these here!

Here are my RSIIb speakers, with outboard crossovers and Graz EMIM diaphragms. If you look closely at the first picture you can also see my Supratek Chenin preamp and Gilmore Raptor amps on the shelves in the middle, along with the Infinity LF Equalizer box.

They sound sweeeeet...

Once the 57" RPTV dies, I'll be looking to ditch the big honkin' entertainment center and stick a flat screen on the wall (maybe a big OLED will be ready by then??), which should help to open up the sound a bit, although it's already pretty damn good, since my understanding wife lets me pull the speakers out into the room to accomodate the E-center.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Graz Diaphragms 005.jpg
    Graz Diaphragms 005.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 144
Max, i just can't get over how big those external crossovers are! it will be very interesting if i do get a chance to hear your speakers and i manage to get my active setup done first.

the "contour" function aside, did you ever consider trying out the Marchand Bassis as a woofer EQ? i first thought of trying that with my IB's, since AKer rs1b had already known the resonant frequency of the woofer towers, but i think it would work equally well with the IIb's after some experimentation, and the circuit design might just be a real improvement over the stock equalizer, modded or not.
 
DSC_0049.jpg
 
Max, i just can't get over how big those external crossovers are! it will be very interesting if i do get a chance to hear your speakers and i manage to get my active setup done first.

the "contour" function aside, did you ever consider trying out the Marchand Bassis as a woofer EQ? i first thought of trying that with my IB's, since AKer rs1b had already known the resonant frequency of the woofer towers, but i think it would work equally well with the IIb's after some experimentation, and the circuit design might just be a real improvement over the stock equalizer, modded or not.

They are big, mostly because there are a lot of components in the crossover (and the new components are much larger than the stock ones), and also because I wanted to get as much space as possible between the inductors. I did some testing by holding a disconnected midrange driver in my hand and passing it over the inductors while playing music through the crossovers, and it is amazing how far they can throw a signal! I could actually hear music playing from the speaker when it was within about 3-4 inches of the larger inductors, even from the opposite side of the center divider board. The tweeter sections are on the opposite side of the divider in the third picture, and are also layed out to avoid the big inductors on the visible side. I have been toying with the idea of going to a 10 gauge or even 8 gauge inductor eventually on the woofers, which will require more space than the current 12 gauge, so I allowed for that in the design as well. I made them tall but only as wide as the back of the RSIIb bass cabinet, so that when you sit across the room you can't even see them behind the speakers (wife's request).

I had Marchand quote construction of improved versions of both a solid state and tube version of the Infinity LF equalizer, and they came in at $2k and $4k respectively. I did think about the Bassis before I started this project; I suppose the stock Bassis could do the LF portion of the equalization, but as you said it could not accomplish the shaping of the mid-bass response that the contour control does.

.
 
Last edited:
I had Marchand quote construction of improved versions of both a solid state and tube version of the Infinity LF equalizer, and they came in at $2k and $4k respectively. I did think about the Bassis before I started this project; I suppose the stock Bassis could do the LF portion of the equalization, but as you said it could not accomplish the shaping of the mid-bass response that the contour control does.

.

Boy, Phil really must have improved the Infinity LF equalizer since the old one basically just used 4 MOSFETS, 2 op amps, and a few passive components-- or am I missing something?
 
Boy, Phil really must have improved the Infinity LF equalizer since the old one basically just used 4 MOSFETS, 2 op amps, and a few passive components-- or am I missing something?

I suppose the quote was so high because it would have been a one-off custom design for him, especially the tube version. Once I heard the price I figured I'd be better off upgrading the Infinity EQ with the best parts I could find, for a lot less money, hence why I used Mundorf Caps, TX2575 resistors, gold over copper binding posts, etc.
 
I suppose the quote was so high because it would have been a one-off custom design for him, especially the tube version. Once I heard the price I figured I'd be better off upgrading the Infinity EQ with the best parts I could find, for a lot less money, hence why I used Mundorf Caps, TX2575 resistors, gold over copper binding posts, etc.

Yea, that sounds like the way to do it. I could see how a tube version might be pricey. And, Phil Marchand is a good guy, he has given me a lot of help with my XM-26 and XM-9 crossovers.
 
Can you tell me what model these are?

I just got these yesterday, what are they?
View attachment 205421
I see no model name or number anywhere on them. 11 5/8" high, 7 1/2" wide, 7" deep, and the woofer is about 4 7/8" across the outside of the foam.

All I'm sure of is they're not Reference Standards.
 
hi there,


I own a Infinity SL 50 hooked up with a Sansui AU 777 and also a pair of Infinity SL 10 with my Pioneer A-402 Amplifier.I love both this series which provide a very good sound stage and performance.Previously i did owned a newer Infinity Reference EL speaker which sad to say was not as good as the SL series.The video 1 center speaker also was not impressive.
 
The attachment link in #472 isn't working for whatever reason, but I've got my own hosting, so here's my five-inch-woofer Infinities:
Infinity_5.JPG

Does anyone know what model these are?

Yes, they obviously need a refoam.
 
Hi there Infinity fans,

I thought that I would post some recent pictures of my home theater system. The last time that I posted some pictures in the Infinity Forum, was several months back, when I gathered all my Infinity speakers for a group photo shot. At the time, none of my speakers in the pictures were hooked up, as I was in the process of moving the equipment into my new home. Me and my wife usually take pictures from time to time, and then we unload them, when the memory card gets full. These pictures were taken about three weeks ago.

The first picture is of the front of my home theater system. The main speakers are a pair of Infinity Crescendo 3009's. The Center channel speaker, over the tv, is a Crescendo Center.

The second picture is of the rear of the home theater system. The speakers are Infinity Beta 20's. My rear Beta 20's are hooked up thru a switchbox, and can be used as rear surrounds, when watching movies; or they can also be powered by using the "B" channel on the receiver, for stereo listening.

The third picture is a closeup of the Beta 20 near my turtle tank. I like the way that speaker looks next to the tank. My wife always puts ornaments on all my speakers, and she is constantly changing the things that she puts on them.
 
Last edited:
The attachment link in #472 isn't working for whatever reason, but I've got my own hosting, so here's my five-inch-woofer Infinities:
Infinity_5.JPG

Does anyone know what model these are?

Yes, they obviously need a refoam.


kinda looks like a reference 11. As as i know the reference x1 serie isnt that great, and this is the lowest model in that serie.
 
Infinity RS 125

With this I managed to figure it out:
kinda looks like a reference 11. As as i know the reference x1 serie isnt that great, and this is the lowest model in that serie.

Just from the size I figured it's got to be one of the smallest, cheapest models of Infinities made.

But from your suggestion I found an Reference 11 Mk II here:
http://www.motoallegro.pl/item956852746_wysokiej_klasy_infinity_reference_11_mk_ii.html
Those look (judging from the woofer size, which I presume is the same size as mine) like a little larger cabinet, and the back has a bass port, which mine doesn't. But the connection port (spring clips, not banana jacks) is a round molded plastic part with "RS 125" along the top, which I first assumed was the part number of the part, but I just now googled and found a data sheet for an Infinity RS 125 speaker:
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Technical Sheet/RS125 ts.pdf
 
For some reason I seem to find more Infinities than any other brand here in Atlanta. Picked these up at a garage sale they just needed a refoam and a cleaning of the pot and cabinet

RSe a very nice two way bookshelf

p5051267medium.jpg
 
For some reason I seem to find more Infinities than any other brand here in Atlanta.

Interesting observation. May have been an unusually high number of popular retailers in Atlanta that moved a lot of Infinity. In Tampa we had Sound Advice with several stores in the area selling Infinity as one of their top brands in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Sound Advice is still around but it's not the cool stereo store it was back then.
 
Back
Top Bottom