• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Please Post your Infinity speakers

It's a bastardization of a QRS. The original QRS had 20 EMITs (7 on the back), 3 Strathern EMIRM mids, 16 rear-facing 4" drivers, and a 15-inch dual voice-coil Watkins woofer in a single cabinet for each channel. This creation has no EMIT's, only two Strathern's running full-range, 16 4" drivers (but front-facing and in separate cabinets), and no Watkins woofer that we can see (and not mentioned in the ad). I'm sure it sounds interesting, but it is NOT a QRS.
 
Thought so...seemed odd for an infinity set like that to not have a monster woofer somewhere....

is he sending the bass through the mids...?
 
It's a bastardization of a QRS. The original QRS had [...] 16 rear-facing 4" drivers, and a 15-inch dual voice-coil Watkins woofer in a single cabinet for each channel.
You sure about that? I thought the original QRS had just a single 15" Watkins woofer, but Arnie Nudell made a few later models with the 4x4 array in lieu of the 15". The Absolute Sound review of an early model appears to agree.

ETA: here's a pic of a different set (you can tell because two woofers have been replaced) with the 16 woofers, from US Audio mart.

BTW, we had a thread discussing the speakers on that auction just a few days ago, but it seems to have disappeared.


995122-71604acd-infinity-quantum-reference-standard.jpg
 
Last edited:
You sure about that? I thought the original QRS had just a single 15" Watkins woofer, but Arnie Nudell made a few later models with the 4x4 array in lieu of the 15". The Absolute Sound review of an early model appears to agree.

ETA: here's a pic of a different set (you can tell because two woofers have been replaced) with the 16 woofers, from US Audio mart.

BTW, we had a thread discussing the speakers on that auction just a few days ago, but it seems to have disappeared.


995122-71604acd-infinity-quantum-reference-standard.jpg
No, I'm not sure at all about anything related to these very rare beasts. A few photos I found seemed to suggest that the QRS had both the 15" Watkins and the 4x4 array, but that could easily be me misinterpreting some disjointed photos.
 
I’m not sure about woofers in middle...I’m guessing that’s an add on...they look different...
Correct, those weren't part of the original QRS, and they are not Infinity. Since the QRS was already rated flat down to below 20hz, I have to wonder about their purpose. The room they're shown in doesn't look particularly large.
 
Correct, those weren't part of the original QRS, and they are not Infinity. Since the QRS was already rated flat down to below 20hz, I have to wonder about their purpose. The room they're shown in doesn't look particularly large.

ha, yeah right...I can’t imagine 2 -15 inch Watkins not being enough...
 
They seem fine, and they are certainly worthy of a refoam.

I liked them better out in the shop than when I brought them inside to the family room, but in all fairness, inside I had them paired up against larger floor standers. I had hoped they would be able to displace what I had planned in there and pull dual duty as TV and audio speakers flanking the TV, but smaller sound (smaller speaker) and changes elsewhere in the rotation have probably made them expendable.

Just too much of a good thing around here I guess... :D
 
Still have these Reference One bookshelf speakers..
How do you like those? I have a pair I need to refoam, never heard them.

I have a pair of those. I was using NHT Super Zeros as the front speakers, and the Reference Ones as the rear speakers in my home theater system. When I changed to a pair of Infinitesimal 0.3 for the front speakers, I moved the NHTs to the rear and retired the Reference Ones. The NHTs were smaller and fit better, and I thought they were less colored than the Reference Ones.
 
I have a pair of those. I was using NHT Super Zeros as the front speakers, and the Reference Ones as the rear speakers in my home theater system. When I changed to a pair of Infinitesimal 0.3 for the front speakers, I moved the NHTs to the rear and retired the Reference Ones. The NHTs were smaller and fit better, and I thought they were less colored than the Reference Ones.
Thank you for opinions. I needed a reason to work on them, motivation. Getting lazy... and too many speakers besides the main big heavy ones. They looked nice though, nice looking tweeter, couldn't resist the name Poly Cell and that classy logo... found them at GW going on a year now. Wow... I am getting lazy.
 
eBay item # 174318237552

Anyone seen these before...?

It's been a loooong time since I've poked my head into Audiokarma, so hello again. I've been around the block a few times here, so only the old-timers that have been on AK a long time will remember me.

Just a quick heads-up on the ebay ad you reference. Those Strathern panels were built by a friend of mine about 15+ years ago. They were then sold to another friend of mine (and old AK member as well). Then...I sold that AK member the OEM Sweet Sixteen QRS cabs. That member had them for years and when he stepped away from high-end audio about a year ago, he sold all his gear as a package to someone local that has been parting it out on eBay.

That gentleman currently selling didn't know much about them (I had never spoke to him) and he put them on eBay as QRS. I noticed the ad out of the blue, and contacted him and corrected him on what he had. He is still trying to sell them (albeit without the OEM crossover that I still own). He had a few tire kickers but no buyers yet. I do not know the gentleman, I have nothing to do with his sale or his gear. I did write-up some specifics and history to correct his ad copy on the off chance he re-lists them correctly.

Yes, those Sweet Sixteen woofer cabs are OEM. Funny how some armchair experts on the other AK string were stating they were not OEM because Arnie never used screws to attach front motorboards to cabinets. Well...Arnie did :)

I also own the original OEM QRS active crossover for the speaker system. They were all part of Bill Z Johnson's collection at Audio Research when he died. He and Arnie Nudell were friends and Bill used many Infinity speakers over the years to showcase his equipment at trade shows. I bought them (and some other gear) from Audio Research. I picked up the gear at the factory.

Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight for prosperity's sake.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom