• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Please Post your Infinity speakers

It's been a loooong time since I've poked my head into Audiokarma, so hello again. I've been around the block a few times here, so only the old-timers that have been on AK a long time will remember me.

Just a quick heads-up on the ebay ad you reference. Those Strathern panels were built by a friend of mine about 15+ years ago. They were then sold to another friend of mine (and old AK member as well). Then...I sold that AK member the OEM Sweet Sixteen QRS cabs. That member had them for years and when he stepped away from high-end audio about a year ago, he sold all his gear as a package to someone local that has been parting it out on eBay.

That gentleman currently selling didn't know much about them (I had never spoke to him) and he put them on eBay as QRS. I noticed the ad out of the blue, and contacted him and corrected him on what he had. He is still trying to sell them (albeit without the OEM crossover that I still own). He had a few tire kickers but no buyers yet. I do not know the gentleman, I have nothing to do with his sale or his gear. I did write-up some specifics and history to correct his ad copy on the off chance he re-lists them correctly.

Yes, those Sweet Sixteen woofer cabs are OEM. Funny how some armchair experts on the other AK string were stating they were not OEM because Arnie never used screws to attach front motorboards to cabinets. Well...Arnie did :-)

I also own the original OEM QRS active crossover for the speaker system. They were all part of Bill Z Johnson's collection at Audio Research when he died. He and Arnie Nudell were friends and Bill used many Infinity speakers over the years to showcase his equipment at trade shows. I bought them (and some other gear) from Audio Research. I picked up the gear at the factory.

Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight for prosperity's sake.

Thanks for the correction, for posterity's sake.
 
You sure about that? I thought the original QRS had just a single 15" Watkins woofer, but Arnie Nudell made a few later models with the 4x4 array in lieu of the 15". The Absolute Sound review of an early model appears to agree.

ETA: here's a pic of a different set (you can tell because two woofers have been replaced) with the 16 woofers, from US Audio mart.

BTW, we had a thread discussing the speakers on that auction just a few days ago, but it seems to have disappeared.


995122-71604acd-infinity-quantum-reference-standard.jpg

Swechsler, you are correct. There were never any QRS with 16 rear facing woofers. Arnie's Sweet Sixteen cabinets were front facing. They were offered on later QRS and as upgrades to the earlier sales. They were the answer to The Absolute Sound's Harry Pearson review and comments that the original single woofer was too slow and did not integrate well with the Stratherns and Emits.
 
Have been looking for a used treadmill with my wife lately. She finds an almost gym level treadmill for $250 bones. I go try it out today and what happens to be sitting against the wall but 2 sets of speakers he says are going to CL for $75. We talk about old audio etc. Bring my wife back to look at the treadmill tonight and she likes as much as I. He will go $225 on the treadmill, "with the speakers" says I...."hmmms" a bit says "$250 and take it all".

Done, whatcha think?

dsc06075a.jpg

Old post, but if you are still on AK, love the Turbo in the background. I had one of those for a while. 1984 I think.
 
These really sound great, guys.
A 12" 3-way "bookshelf" isn't normally in play around here for quite some time.
 
I was quite happy with my 12" 3 way bookshelf" RSM's for many years.
I'd still be using them if I hadn't gotten the RS II's.
 
I was quite happy with my 12" 3 way bookshelf" RSM's for many years.
I'd still be using them if I hadn't gotten the RS II's.
I still have the RSIIs and the Jrs wont usurp the IIs.
The bigger Infinitys inhabit a space that is not air conditioned very well so I won't be powering up those until it cools a bit.
The Quantum Jrs surprised me at their resolution and bass detail because I wasn't too impressed with a pair of RS 1.5s I once had.
 
I still have the RSIIs and the Jrs wont usurp the IIs.
The bigger Infinitys inhabit a space that is not air conditioned very well so I won't be powering up those until it cools a bit.
The Quantum Jrs surprised me at their resolution and bass detail because I wasn't too impressed with a pair of RS 1.5s I once had.

I kind of wanted to get a pair of 1.5's after having the RSM's.
But I was a bit concerned about the number of revisions the 1.5's had. Like they just couldn't get them sounding like they wanted to. Until maybe the last revision. That and they don't come up for sale all that often.
From Infinity classics.. Here you can get the crossover schematics of revision A-F and G&H.
Maybe I was over thinking it, but I figured who knows what version would be for sale, and how extensive the revisions were. That was before I'd ever recapped any crossovers.
 
I have to say, looking at them they look like they were made from spare parts...silver emit, black dome, grey Watkins....Ha...
 
Yep, lots of older infinity’s are like that....the RSII’s for example...bullet woofers with grey foam, mids with Black rubber surrounds, and a couple of emits.....don’t get it twisted, it works....just didn’t have component continuity until later on...
 
Someone must have changed the EMIT's at some point. Stealth black paint, maybe no one will notice.:)
Not sure about the 1.5's, but I've seen what appear to be as produced RSM's with woofers and/or midranges with clear cones/gray cones or a mixture of the two.
It seems the RSM and RS 1.5 are basically the same except for the woofers and their xovers.
I thought the cabinet was too small for the Watkins and didn't work as well as it did in some of the larger models.
 
Swechsler, you are correct. There were never any QRS with 16 rear facing woofers. Arnie's Sweet Sixteen cabinets were front facing. They were offered on later QRS and as upgrades to the earlier sales. They were the answer to The Absolute Sound's Harry Pearson review and comments that the original single woofer was too slow and did not integrate well with the Stratherns and Emits.


Stratherns and full line source Emits! I'd sure like to have heard them, I wonder how the bass was?

I'd expect it was simply cost-prohibitive to install that many small woofers, when you add the cost of all the stratherns and FLSEmits,not to mention ultimate size,

But I'd sure wish I'd heard a pair!

My RS IIbs are still in daily use as are my
Modulus satellites and,
Renaissance 90 and,
Renaissance 80 and,
RS 4s, and,
Qe's.

They all sound glorious, The Emit is one fantabulous driver, and the Emim just as good, (or better) especially when used in an array, and I'm absolutely a fan of Infinity Woofers, Watkins, or derived.

I Sure wish I'd had a chance to hear those sweet sixteen speakers, though!
 
Last edited:
Not that exciting. Just picked up these Kappa 5 on Craigslist for $70. Straight cabinets. Need to be refinished. Aftermarket woofers but seller included the originals.
 

Attachments

  • 20200919_183236.jpg
    20200919_183236.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200919_193735.jpg
    20200919_193735.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200919_183853.jpg
    20200919_183853.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom