• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Polk SDA SRS question, for you Polk guys.

tygr

Audiophoole
Is the SRS 2.3 a huge improvement in sound over the SDA 2A? I should be picking up a pair of SDA SRS 2.3s over the weekend and wondered if they are just bigger or also better?
 
Register to hide this ad
Over 2A, yes.
2A is actually less preferred model even in the 2 series.
2B is the best in 2 series and favored my most due to it's smaller size but what it can do after TL upgrade.

2.3 will beat any 2 series though if you have space to set them up properly.
 
Also things to consider is upgrade cost on the 2.3 is quite a bit more than 2.
More crossover components, more tweeters to replace for TL upgrade, chance of breaking your back.
I can easily lift 2B's but 2.3, no way.
 
I have the earlier (3rd generation 4 ohm) SRS2's and they are incredible. I have not re-capped them yet and they still amaze me. Since the 2.3’s are probably equal to or better than the similar SRS2's, I don't think you will be disappointed. Of course, as always a lot depends on the condition and prior care of the speaker

It's not just the soundstage they create, they way they reproduce music is realistic and very pleasurable. I'm not really a "Polk guy", this is the only vintage Polk I have ever heard so Mystery is much more knowledgeable as far as comparisons than I am. FWIW, there must be a reason that only some of the SDA's were Signature Reference Series. I've never heard the 2A's but I think it's safe to say that based on specs and the fact that the 2A's are not SRS's the 2.3's will probably be a noticeable improvement if you have the room for them.

The 2.3's are easier to drive (6 ohm) than mine but clean power and proper set-up are still critical. I think the SRS2's & 2.3's are the "Goldilocks" of the SRS line. Not too big, not too small. I have mine in a 12 x20 room and they sound great. In a smaller room it was a different story, the midrange was off.

Good luck & enjoy.
 
How much of a difference does the TL upgrade make? I have stock 2Bs.


Posted from Audiokarma.org App for Android
 
Last edited:
Sorry about talking about a sale. I was just wanting to know about the improvements the TL upgrade meant. No rule breaking intended. Remove my previous post if necessary.




botrytis said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by indyhawg

How much of a difference does the TL upgrade make? I have stock 2Bs. I am trying to sell them. But I have thouhht about keeping them and doing the TL upgrade.


Posted from Audiokarma.org App for Android

Cant have in your thread about selling - please read the rules. Sales only goes in BT.




Posted from Audiokarma.org App for Android
 
Back
Top Bottom