• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Quaint Quips & Quotes!

I have heard the one “until the cows come home” for years, does anyone know the origin of this? Why wouldn’t the cows come home? (or what took them so long)

Ding Ding!
May I have your attention please? I think we may have a winner in the Hall of Fame Quote Thread.... :yes:

Ahhhhh Tshoejohn!
This one pulls my heart string with authority, in that, I heard my grandmother cite this one & I am ashamed I did not think of it before now.
Big Mama, forgive me.

Wow!, she would say this when we stayed out to long.
Tshoejohn, I don't know how it got started, but it does relate to farmers. My dad would take us to the country to visit the old folks. His grandfather had land & cows. They would go out to graze, sometimes for long distances & periods of time. Often you could not see them due to the wooded area.

Ahhh, but when Papa would go to that fence & call them, slowly you would see them starting to come back. One cow had a bell around its neck & you could hear that thing clanging in the distance to let him know they were on the way.
Mannnnnnnn! Gotta hold back the tears here Tshoejohn.

One of grandpa’s: “happier than a kitten in a creamer” (or creamery?)

Great Great Sentimental Hall of Fame Klassic,
Rome
 
“Butt trumpet”
“silent but deadly”
“squeeker”
When the dog would let out some terrible gas: “toxic dog syndrome”

You are slaying me early this morning Tshoejohn! :D
Now, this one is a hall of fame candidate, "silent but deadly" has been around forever & it is funny. We used the initials (SBD) to warn someone. :thmbsp:

Funny Hall of Fame Klassic,
Rome
 
"Turn over in the grave"!

Now, I think I have a serious contender for the hall of fame to the one posted earlier by Tshoejohn. :thmbsp:

This one has been used so many times & has a few facets.

Hall of Fame Klassic,
Rome
 
“A stich in time will save nine(?)”

“Let a sleeping dog lie” (Don’t know what this means)

“S**t rolls down hill”

“He who smiles when things go wrong, has just thought of someone he can blame it on”

“He who blamed it aimed it” and “He who smelt it delt it” (Flatulance)
 
“A stich in time will save nine(?)”

“Let a sleeping dog lie” (Don’t know what this means)

“S**t rolls down hill”

“He who smiles when things go wrong, has just thought of someone he can blame it on”

“He who blamed it aimed it” and “He who smelt it delt it” (Flatulance)

Tshoejohn, I think the sleeping dog quote relates to letting something alone if it is ok. Case & point, if you have someone with a short temper, do not provoke them.

This one has a cousin “He who blamed it aimed it” and “He who smelt it delt it” (Flatulance) that goes like this, "silent but deadly."

“Six of twelve, half dozen or the other”

“The grass is always greener over the septic tank”

“S**t happens”

"The grass is always greener on the other side" is cousin to the one you have there T... :thmbsp:

Ahhhh, "S**t happens" is a hall of famer indeed. It has been with us for such along time & still is relative to Murphy's Law. :yes:

Hall of Fame Klassic,
Rome
 
A favorite from the college days:

“...If you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one your’e with..” – Stephen Stills

love that song.
 
"The chickens have come home to roost"!

"Hold his feet to the fire"!

These are candidates too for the hall of fame.
I am having a nice time with this thread & thanks again for all who have contributed. :thmbsp:

Hall of Fame Klassic,
Rome
 
A favorite from the college days:

“...If you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one your’e with..” – Stephen Stills

love that song.

Ahhh Tshoejohn!
This one, though musically stated gives one great wisdom & insight. I should point out that it is cousin to "Be thankful for the trees you eat from." :yes:

Wisdom Klassic,
Rome
 
A couple of pearls of wisdom from my family:

"There are more horse's asses than there are horses."

" You can't polish a turd."

"That's drier than a wind blown fart."
 
Heres a few more,

Dumber than a pay toilet in a diarrea ward

Colder tha a well diggers a$$ in the clondike

Hes so uptight you couldn't pull a pin out of his a$$ with a tractor

It's tighter than a flys a$$ streched over a drum

She sound like a cow pissing on a flat rock

Enjoy
 
A couple of pearls of wisdom from my family:

"There are more horse's asses than there are horses."

" You can't polish a turd."

"That's drier than a wind blown fart."

Hi RT Fan!
HEHE, now these are too funny, though I have not heard them before.
I am going to make a note of them. The "You can't polish a turd" is classic.

Funny Klassic,
Rome
 
Back
Top Bottom