• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REVIEW: Dual 1219 rebuild by NoTransistors

Did you make that?? NICE!!!

Why yes I did! Thanks! I was a carpenter once...
I wanted a Scandinavian look while slimming down the height. I had this oak and some time... If I did it again I would use thicker oak so there is more place to rest your wrist while cueing. It has dynamat and PE adjustable legs and a logo from a dust cover. The wife didn't complain. The inner mdf support was a pain even though I copied the original. Seth said I could sell these! Maybe in retirement if demand is there. I'll be trying a 721 in that base soon, and can't wait to compare.

I am interested in the tone arm comparisons as I believe that the final output to the ear should determine which is better. I know money talks, but the Duals with Seth's needle bearing adjustments are certainty competitive in this arena. All I have to compare with is my technics. The sound out of a tone arm has so many factors affecting it, and the plinth and drive system are just a few.
 
Why yes I did! Thanks! I was a carpenter once...
I wanted a Scandinavian look while slimming down the height. I had this oak and some time... If I did it again I would use thicker oak so there is more place to rest your wrist while cueing. It has dynamat and PE adjustable legs and a logo from a dust cover. The wife didn't complain. The inner mdf support was a pain even though I copied the original. Seth said I could sell these! Maybe in retirement if demand is there. I'll be trying a 721 in that base soon, and can't wait to compare.

Va va voom! It does look gorgeous!

I am interested in the tone arm comparisons as I believe that the final output to the ear should determine which is better. I know money talks, but the Duals with Seth's needle bearing adjustments are certainty competitive in this arena. All I have to compare with is my technics. The sound out of a tone arm has so many factors affecting it, and the plinth and drive system are just a few.

All I can say is I am finding nothing to complain about. My M91ED/SAS has never sounded better. Keep in mind, I am mentally comparing it to the SME 3009 on my Thorens. (I'll try to prepare a needledrop sample this weekend.)

When I had a 1019, I always felt that the arm was limiting its performance, but not so with this 1219.

This thread has rekindled my 1219 desire.

Do it! :)
 
Glad you posted this!!!

Was wonderng how you've been coming along with this. Great news.

I was using a weight similar to yours on my 1219, but then I didn't think an idler would have the torque or the bearing mass to handle that much extra weight - so I stopped.
 
Was wonderng how you've been coming along with this. Great news.

I was using a weight similar to yours on my 1219, but then I didn't think an idler would have the torque or the bearing mass to handle that much extra weight - so I stopped.

Trust me, the 1219 doesn't break a sweat with the extra weight on top. That motor is a beast.
 
Trust me, the 1219 doesn't break a sweat with the extra weight on top. That motor is a beast.

I have been experimenting with weights too. This one is from amazon. I find higher compliance carts like the Empire 1000 ze/x let me hear more rumble, but the shures are fine. No motor problems with the high torque. Works great on warps. Does change the bass for the better, but remember that these platters are dished. Remember these can support stacks of 78 s.
 

Attachments

  • 20140613_171855.jpg
    20140613_171855.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 142
I have been experimenting with weights too. This one is from amazon. I find higher compliance carts like the Empire 1000 ze/x let me hear more rumble, but the shures are fine. No motor problems with the high torque. Works great on warps. Does change the bass for the better, but remember that these platters are dished. Remember these can support stacks of 78 s.

NICE view of your plinth! But why are you coupling it to the desktop via spikes? Wouldn't it be better to isolate it instead?
 
NICE view of your plinth! But why are you coupling it to the desktop via spikes? Wouldn't it be better to isolate it instead?

Those are for levelling and cosmetic. PE says for tts. No feedback with speakers close and bass up.
 

Attachments

  • 20140613_180630.jpg
    20140613_180630.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 103
Damn that base is pretty!

I have been experimenting with weights too. This one is from amazon. I find higher compliance carts like the Empire 1000 ze/x let me hear more rumble, but the shures are fine. No motor problems with the high torque. Works great on warps. Does change the bass for the better, but remember that these platters are dished. Remember these can support stacks of 78 s.

Nice!

Eric:music:
 
Nice!

Eric:music:

Thanks. Had to make it nice so my Wife could not complain. I love this table. Prat and slam in spades. Great resistance to foot falls. NoTransistors brought it to spec, and Audiokarma gave me a great hobby to follow. I feel I am missing nothing, at least till I win the lottery.
 
I very much appreciate the enthusiasm of my customer, Glenn.

I am in the midst of selling my house/purchasing a replacement, so for the moment, I feel it is best to fix whatever Dual turntables are in my shop [six], and not take on more work until I move. Staying in Brooklyn.
So please be patient with me for the next few months.
After I settle in, I will be refurbishing Dual turntables full-time.
 
Back
Top Bottom