• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REVIEW: Dual 1219 rebuild by NoTransistors

I just switched the Dual back into the system, and am blasting Magic Sam's "West Side Soul" right now. Dang, this turntable really kicks it!

FUN!
 
You know...

Thank you Eric and Manfred.

I can't get rich fixing these things, but considering the positive reviews posted here, I should be able to pay my bills. I do seem to have a unique talent for repairing mechanical things.


All I ever wanted to do was work on audio systems. Worked for Sam Chaiet in New Paltz in high school (1967). I loved that job! Sam owned a Zenith TV shop. God I loved that job. He was like a father to me. Went to my Dad when I graduated high school. My father never told me. Sam offered to sent me to school and come to work for him. Ended up in college and two degrees. Put myself through fixing audio. Got first Dual from Sam.

Learned a lot from Sam. I treat washer dryer customers the way he did TV and audio customers. Pays the bills.

I still play with audio. Love it. Like Seth says, you won't get rich. Love fixing old audio. Fixed up a 1019 for a local guy. Has a Rega or something like that for his main turntable. His brother gave hike a 1019. Needed work. Got him going. Did not charge nearly enough. Made the guy happy!

Good luck Seth! Hope the move is easy! Haven't made much in recent years but made a lot of people happy! One of the most satisfying things I have done is getting old Dual working. Even my old low end Dual 1010S sounds good. Fired it up today. Been sitting in the shop. Haven't used it much. Have a BIC 960 next to it. Not sure what to do with it. Back up to 4 tables again. Fixing Duals should be a hoot!

Eric:D
 
All I ever wanted to do was work on audio systems. Worked for Sam Chaiet in New Paltz in high school (1967). I loved that job! Sam owned a Zenith TV shop.
.....

What a coincidence. I also worked for a Sam (Mooney) in 1967 at a shop (in Detroit during the riots) that sold Zenith and RCA but was factory authorized service for most of the major brands. When I first went in, I had never actually seen the inside of a color TV. In less than 6 months, I was doing all of the back room color repair.

You haven't lived until you have had the "pleasure" of replacing a 21AXP22 color picture tube and spending a couple of days on the necessary alignment. We didn't see much audio equipment there. Mostly TV.
 
Thanks! You need to come over and have a listen sometime!

I do. We haven't hung out in ages. Bringing the 24o and 110 to audiodon's Friday night to get the once over and flying to Florida on Sat morn to do some fishing with sad and brother-in law. I'll be back We'd and off work for the rest of the week. And as nearly always, Fridays are free.
 
I do. We haven't hung out in ages. Bringing the 24o and 110 to audiodon's Friday night to get the once over and flying to Florida on Sat morn to do some fishing with sad and brother-in law. I'll be back We'd and off work for the rest of the week. And as nearly always, Fridays are free.

Well, hell, you're gonna be right in my neighborhood practically on Friday!
 
Well, hell, you're gonna be right in my neighborhood practically on Friday!

I'm flying to Florida to visit Mom and Dad on Sat morning. I'm burn the candles at both ends for the next few days. After Don finishes up with my stuff Friday, I'm going to have to head home and pack. Going to have to be another night...
 
Seth repaired and tuned up my Dual 1019 and then pateiently, and I mean PATIENTLY, put up with me as went through one bad cartridge after another that had me absolutely convinced - incorrectly - that something was wrong with the turntable. Happily, the third cartridge was the charm and Seth will no longer have to endure my 1:00 a.m. email barrages: it's working ... wait, one channel just dropped ... wait it's working again ... nope, now they're both out. My records thank you.
 
BTW, thank you again for the broken-by-some-other-repair-shop-in-the-NYC-area P.E. [Dual re-labeled] turntable. It is now working well and sounding wonderful in my G.F.'s home. What cartridge did I use? Glad you asked. It is an Ortofon that had been under the mighty Atlantic Ocean for several hours during Hurricane Sandy.
 
Nice looking tables guys! I just swapped out my SL-1200 (it's going on the market as I will soon be putting my re-painted 1700 together - can't have too many Technics!) for the recently acquired 1219. That means I have dueling Duals with a 1019 on the other side.

I've still got some tweaking to do but sorry, I can't justify sending it to Seth all the way from here. It takes a while to come up to speed so I think some idler dressing, and some more cleaning is in order. However it also takes over 2 minutes to spin down so that's good.

Anyway, it's sounding great with the Shure M75 on it. :)
 
Last edited:
Just the right thing to listen to "Underwater Love" with the gf, no? ;)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

That Ortofon is something special.

I just typed those words with Mr. Macaw sitting on my shoulder while nibbling on my ear.
 
Seth: Would Mr. Macaw be the parrot depicted on your avatar? A beautiful bird...

Unfortunately my place is too small for a pet - and, being a smoker, I'd also have a bad conscience, if I kept an innocent creature in that atmosphere. But my place is in a house next to a colony of "Schrebergärten" next to a little park, so I have a lot of animals outside to watch.

The funniest ones of which were a bunch of crows during one winter a couple of years - since when I would swear that crows do know the concept of humour and that they also do like winter sports. You sould have seen 'em: Everytime there was fresh snow on the rooftops of the little Schrebergarten huts, the crows would land on there and have fun, gliding through the fresh snow on their bellies, until there were too many tracks, so that they hopped to the next rooftop - quite obviously with no other intention than to do just that. And those crows also enjoyed chasing squirrels, also pretty obviously with no further intention than to just chase these for fun. I loved watching that bunch - while the squirrels seemed happier, when the crows finally moved on sometime in spring...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Just actually saw Lini's response.
Manfred- The parrot in my avatar is a Rainbow Lorikeet named 'Kiwi'. He is one on my eight feathered friends. Mr. Macaw is a mini-Macaw, which is a 1/3 size version of the big guys.
And yes, thank you, the Rainbow Lorikeet is spectacular. They come in many sub-species, including one that is in shades of black.
 
Hi Seth, I just went to my friend's house for Halloween. He has 5 birds. In fact, my friend lived in our house for a few years when he had his first bird, an African Gray. But that bird bites pretty damn hard. Ask me how I know...

The other night I got to hold one of the more tame ones. I forget what bird it was, a rare parrot, that started with a "c". We bonded -He as bity at first, but at least he didn't take a finger off, like the African gray could do.
 
Why do birds bite?
Because they can.
Greys are far from sweet. So it was not you, it was the bird.
Amazons, on the other hand, are usually just very sweet and incredibly smart. I should have gotten one of those.
A rare bird that starts with "C"? Hyacynth Cockatoo, Palm Cockatoo, Assorted types of Conures. As your friend, as I am curious.
 
Back
Top Bottom