• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Revitalizing AK

Better sound than of BBC monitors constructed and designed achieving the best sound by top engineers for more than three years?

Enjoy your ipod junk! :thumbsup:
Still sounds great, it's just different. I have always had nice 2ch home systems and still do. The portable stuff is just for on the go.

Those kids you old farts poo poo on are probably listening to more music than you do and not all are doing it at a low level.

It's very amusing hearing from people that have admittedly never tried it :p

I have moved on to my phone and nice IEMs for planes, HiRes playlists saved on it and rotated out each trip. Hotel is phone plugged into a TEAC DAC/Amp with some Sundara's.

If it's all about the music like it is for me, I find it odd that my fellow olds farts wouldn't want good SQ portable stuffs :dunno:

It's baffeliner than a M eff'er :idea:

To each there own though! This reply is about the sad generational and portable bashing that has already been mentioned up thread.

:beerchug:
 
Last edited:
The Times They Are A-Changing.

However - the current system I am listening to is this one:

Marantz 6300
Bang&Olufsen MMC20CL
Sansui 990DB
Rogers BBC monitors Rogers LS 5/9 (321A /321B)


The Bluetooth generation grew up with poor sounding music. They got used to it. They do not miss finest quality sound.

It is how it is.
A lot of the ones I know stream hi res music at home, and not to Bluetooth speakers
Better sound than of BBC monitors constructed and designed achieving the best sound by top engineers for more than three years?

Enjoy your ipod junk! :thumbsup:
You need to listen to some good quality headphones. Often better sound than speakers as no room effects to get in the way. Try some Grado's or Shennheiser. I like my HD660S2's.
 
I just had a look at the internet archive. AK was founded in 2002, correct?

In 2017, AK hit 10 million posts and 230,000 registered members. So, 15 years-ish to reach those numbers.

As of today, 7.5 years later, there are about 15.6 million posts and 355k registered members. If it keeps up, we should be on track to match or exceed those numbers from the first 15 years.

However, here's a Google Trends chart on popularity for the term "audiokarma" in searches.

View attachment 3155243
Looks like, as far as Google searches are concerned, 2012-2013 was the "peak" of interest and has fallen off but leveled out since then.
Thanks for that. I'm surprised it has fallen off due to vintage gear and home theater still being popular.
 
However; it seems through the years participation has dropped significantly.
Just curious as to what that means? Do you know if there's less members in total than at some point before? Or do you mean the rate of new members signing up has slowed down? Or do you mean there aren't as many posts or responses to posts or ???

I have no idea.
 
Very true. No room treatment needed, extremely good noise isolation from outside sources, and 1/4 the cost for similar performance
And if you live with other people you can listen whenever you want. At volumes you want to and not disturb others.
Add to that the fact high res players are getting really affordable and that you can load a lot of music onto them without needing to cart a huge stack of CD's with you it's a win win for a lot of people.
 
Joined in 2006 but didn't post a lot then. Once I started rebuilding speakers, amps, receivers I was more active in the brand sub forums. Now that I've got what I need (along with systems I put together for my slacker Gen X kids) I am mostly in General Audio, Speakers and the Off Topic threads. As a result, I don't see a lot of new posters, just a few identifiable by the zombie threads they reply to. I'll gladly share knowledge whenever I can but I don't claim to have a lot of it.
 
Better sound than of BBC monitors constructed and designed achieving the best sound by top engineers for more than three years?

Enjoy your ipod junk! :thumbsup:

Has it been a while since you've scoped out the portable scene? Streaming services are now capable of full 48 bit/96 KHz lossless hi-res, and you can buy FLAC files at that same resolution to listen to offline. Outboard DACs from companies like Schiit, iFi and Qudelix are a significant improvement over the DAC built into a phone, and in-ears and headphones alike have made great strides since the days of the Porta-Pro. Of course, if you still need the soundstage and imaging you can only get from speakers, that's fine, but spec for spec there are portable systems now that rival home setups for quality as long as you don't use Bluetooth, although there's been progress made with Bluetooth codecs as well.
 
syntax refers to the arrangement of words in a sentence


a bit hard to read
I know what syntax is and looking back, yes; agreed. I could have been better. Sorry dad.

I should have said
"Or, every question that has ever needed to be answered has already been answered in the past. People come, search, find what they need and don't bother to post. "

Better? Happy now? :p
 
The simplest answer is that audio as a hobby is dying on the vine. When people want music they open their phone and get streams.
I'm not entirely convinced of that. The resurgence of vintage audio has to be driven by more than boomer nostalgia, people on fixed incomes aren't spending $1000 on vintage Marantz receivers or $3000 on Klischorns and the proliferation of desktop audio and headphone oriented products suggest that the hobby is merely changing. Vinyls are more popular than they've been in 30 years, and quality audio is more accessible than it's ever been. The hobby is simply evolving to what its audience wants and needs. the expensive, giant systems of the 70's are becoming a thing of the past and components are shrinking in size and cost, while SQ is remaining quite high. In some ways, there's never been a better time to be in the hobby. What the aging demographic is perceiving as decline, is merely trends shifting away from what has been familiar to them for most of their lives.
iu
 
Yeah, we need an advertising campaign. I am just as guilty...not posting or participating as I did in the past but serious ...HIFI is not dead. Just look at FB groups, Youtube videos...its all over and vintage is hot (I am specifically Marantz alot these days and the Marantz TAX is huge...I promise to be more engaged and will try to advertise as much as possible (oh and look at FB marketplace...lots of buyers, sellers on vintage as well as new so Audio is not dead) - Except to the 25 year olds with a bluetooth speaker and I[hone
No 25 year olds were harmed in the making of this post :rflmao:
There’s a lot more competition for audio websites , but in the end A K holds up very well ! There’s a since of community here that is special and leaves the others in the dust ! Just don’t mention analog vs digital or expensive speaker cables vs lampcord ! Lol
 
Back
Top Bottom