• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Revitalizing AK

Just spread the audio "gospel". Visitors to our home see my modest setup and my not-so-modest LP collection and say "How does it sound?" My reply's always "What do you want to hear?" I've ended up helping a few set up systems of their own. Do you have kids? Do they have friends over? Another opportunity. If they have music on their phone, make sure you have a cable to allow you to play THEIR favorites and demonstrate the "live" experience. Oh, and by the way...in my opinion AKs doing just fine. All we have to do is to continue to be welcoming to new members and help them along the road in any way we can.
 
How many Klipschorns does it take to pressurize a submarine? Are there corner pairs to place them? When are the quiet hours?
:dunno: I was a tin can sailor my whole career.

Rode a few on exercises. Have worked on a lot since retiring and starting my real job.
 
Eventually it wanes…you get used to interacting with some members and when one or more go bye bye then the rest follow…I originally came in for the gear but stayed for the human interaction.
 
Eventually it wanes…you get used to interacting with some members and when one or more go bye bye then the rest follow…I originally came in for the gear but stayed for the human interaction.

Yup.
All we have to do is enjoy the interaction, and potentially grow a collective thicker skin for the annoying ones.
Then there's the thought from Desiderata: "Avoid loud and aggresive persons; they are vexations to the spirit".
 
The problem with using a tool such as ChatGPT to figure out what transistor you should use as opposed to looking at data sheets is that you will not gain the knowledge as to why those transistors are compatible within the constraints of that application.
People make posts asking for part replacements all the time and use them blindly without knowing why. I was just using ChatGPT as an example.
 
People make posts asking for part replacements all the time and use them blindly without knowing why. I was just using ChatGPT as an example.
I thought it was a good example. With ChatGPT one can continue to ask questions to reveal more information (so says my son who uses it regularly). Thanks for taking the step to explore ChatGPT's relevance.

AK's founding dates back to the early days of Google. I have searched AK and the internet to identify transistor substitutions. It was time consuming and lead to a number of deadends. So, an interesting example.
 
People make posts asking for part replacements all the time and use them blindly without knowing why. I was just using ChatGPT as an example.
That is exactly how I understood your post.
Of course, I already know that you look a bit deeper than the surface of things.

Cheers,
James
 
I thought it was a good example. With ChatGPT one can continue to ask questions to reveal more information (so says my son who uses it regularly). Thanks for taking the step to explore ChatGPT's relevance.

AK's founding dates back to the early days of Google. I have searched AK and the internet to identify transistor substitutions. It was time consuming and lead to a number of deadends. So, an interesting example.
I agree, why wouldn't one use the latest technology as part of the research process of a component substitution? Once the alternatives are discovered the data sheets can be consulted.
 
I've been here since 2002 (member #276 lol). I joined as a teenager and have been a member here essentially my entire adult life. This place has certainly evolved over time, but I would not say that activity is a problem. I do have some thoughts and observations though.

One thing is that there are now a LOT more subforums compared to the earlier days. This now includes 11 Manufacturers Forums. Those sections now include a LOT of posts that would have previously gone in one of the main sections (General Audio, Solid State, Speakers, etc). Having things spread out over so many different sections definitely has it's pros and cons. It's good in the sense that posts take longer to get pushed off the front page, and are more likely to be seen by someone who has a specific interest in what is being discussed. It's bad in that it can create confusion about which section to post in, and can make the forum itself a bit more confusing and overwhelming for newer members. In some cases, people who might otherwise have contributed to that thread might not ever see it simply because they might not have much reason to check that specific section. And, of course, the more you spread things out, the less active each individual section might appear.

Another thing that I've noticed about AK is that the focus on audio is overall distinctly different than almost every other audio forum out there. On the vast majority of audio forums, everything is dominated by people who are firmly invested in the gear treadmill. Always obsessed with the next best thing, where the main source of their enjoyment comes not so much from using their gear to actually listen to music, but rather the endorphin-rush from constantly buying new gear, after which the gear mainly just serves as a status symbol to brag and post pictures about until the next model is released and the cycle repeats. The newest gear is always touted as the most amazing ever, because the marketing and paid reviewers said so, and anything that is old enough to no longer be trendy quickly becomes irrelevant and forgotten.

While AK has always been one of the best resources for vintage audio, I feel like it's never been restricted to that, and it's focus has expanded appropriately over time. I regularly see appreciation for gear from most eras, so long as the individual items are actually worthy of praise. That's because people on AK, overall, seem to be more open-minded to what gear is actually capable of, rather than automatically giving in to stereotypes or various lies and half-truths perpetuated by marketing over the years. That's a wonderful thing, and a big part of what makes this place special. But it also means that this forum is not always a huge hit with the gear-treadmill folks, who are usually gone the moment they create a thread and people do more than just flatter them about their newest purchase. Unfortunately, that's a lot of lost traffic. Fortunately, nothing of value is being lost.
 
Maybe reason participation has dropped? Many of those who were into audio in it's hayday, are no longer with us.
And few of the general population want anything better than a three inch Bluetooth speaker.
Overall interest in anything DIY outside of computer gaming is waning. Everything is temporary these days. Set up a system for my stepson a few years back. He largely listens to video game soundtracks that sound like AM radio. My oldest has the bug, but relies on me to keep it running. My stepdaughter only listens to Taylor Swift on hers...vinyl.

Even among people my age, I don't know anyone with a decent bit of gear outside of my audio circle. None local.
 
Overall interest in anything DIY outside of computer gaming is waning. Everything is temporary these days. Set up a system for my stepson a few years back. He largely listens to video game soundtracks that sound like AM radio. My oldest has the bug, but relies on me to keep it running. My stepdaughter only listens to Taylor Swift on hers...vinyl.

Even among people my age, I don't know anyone with a decent bit of gear outside of my audio circle. None local.
I have similar experiences with family and friends.
Even those my age who had a stereo and records in Thier youth. Have given it up.

Your stepdaughter's listening to Taylor is a good sign that there is still life for audio.
 
...While AK has always been one of the best resources for vintage audio, I feel like it's never been restricted to that, and it's focus has expanded appropriately over time. I regularly see appreciation for gear from most eras, so long as the individual items are actually worthy of praise. That's because people on AK, overall, seem to be more open-minded to what gear is actually capable of, rather than automatically giving in to stereotypes or various lies and half-truths perpetuated by marketing over the years. That's a wonderful thing, and a big part of what makes this place special. But it also means that this forum is not always a huge hit with the gear-treadmill folks, who are usually gone the moment they create a thread and people do more than just flatter them about their newest purchase. Unfortunately, that's a lot of lost traffic. Fortunately, nothing of value is being lost.


Well expressed, CB! :thumbsup:

A few posts back, I made an overall ramble on what/how AK stood amongst the other sites, and will attempt to focus on how this audio-site has been a value to me...in particular.


I find entertainment and engagement in the various "game" threads" wherein some degree of thought is required, but it's the interaction with others that counts most.

And yes at times, there is a division of interest with the "gear-related" crowd. Within this realm, the sales/fixes/reviews are pretty much covered. On the other side of the coin, there are those whose interest are mainly with the aspect of music, and what it brings to them. Then, there are the few who try to staddle the two worlds.

AK has been a way to draw out information and experience from others not only dealing with audio electronics, but in other home related experiences, and appliances domestic centered. It's an info-centre.

There's even a creative part of AK, wherein those who care for the arts are revealed, contributed to and common talk takes place.

In the area of AV, it's a portal of what to watch on TV, both past and present, without the paid critics giving their POV's.

And in the way of hobbies in the "Off Topic" these thread of playing instuments, watches, cars, etc. allow a share in other areas of pursuits.

Plus, the the off-site "Conversation" portion of AK, I'm certain that there's much interaction of thoughts/experiences take place.

Finally, there's the human part of AK, that allows others to reach out in need, that I think will be seldom found in other related sites, esp to the degree that is found on board this site. Problems both mental and physical are at times delved into, more so than in a site wherein with others that are connected and there is no previous bond.


So, in the long run, "Audiokarma" is much more than it seems, especially if you only surf the outer side of this site. For me, it's more of an online-community that is controlled to a degree, but as already mentioned, there is the need for guidelines to be followed. And most do! IMHO


Q
 
Last edited:
Overall interest in anything DIY outside of computer gaming is waning. Everything is temporary these days. Set up a system for my stepson a few years back. He largely listens to video game soundtracks that sound like AM radio. My oldest has the bug, but relies on me to keep it running. My stepdaughter only listens to Taylor Swift on hers...vinyl.

Even among people my age, I don't know anyone with a decent bit of gear outside of my audio circle. None local.
I live in the inner city and have a maker space membership to allow access to a wood shop, CNC mills, welding, spray booth and more. They have a strong demand for memberships and recently expanded their studio capacity by 100%. Every other Thursday, they have DIY fixit clinics that are well attended. I share the space with guitar makers (I'm one of them), furniture builders and refinishers, artists, drum makers, jewelry makers, leather workers, sculptors, cabinet makers and all manner of DIY curious in between.

I think that even as mainstream corporate culture pushes consumerist disposability, product licensing and leasing, we're also seeing an underground boost to the right to repair movement and DIY culture. As a child of the 70's and teen in the 80's, we didn't have the DIY kits that many of you elders had in the 60's- we had commodified crap that was mass produced for the general public. There were however, DIY movements, music had DIY punk scenes, car and motorcycle had their customizing cultures and even today, car audio remains largely DIY for the high-end "chuchero" systems prevalent in certain demographic segments. DIY isn't dying, it's just adapting. It's there if you know where to look.
 
Last edited:
On the vast majority of audio forums, everything is dominated by people who are firmly invested in the gear treadmill. Always obsessed with the next best thing, where the main source of their enjoyment comes not so much from using their gear to actually listen to music, but rather the endorphin-rush from constantly buying new gear, after which the gear mainly just serves as a status symbol to brag and post pictures about until the next model is released and the cycle repeats. The newest gear is always touted as the most amazing ever, because the marketing and paid reviewers said so, and anything that is old enough to no longer be trendy quickly becomes irrelevant and forgotten.
I think that's a stereotypical and incorrect image that's used by those who tend to avoid new technology, are just enamored with old electronics, or there is little to no discussion of vintage audio on a particular site. That could be why so many who've been pigeonholed into that image avoid posting here but continue to quietly follow in the background. There are many who still have some waning interest in old audio equipment but have moved on to more modern stuff. Those people should feel just as welcomed here as anyone else because a lot of audio topics that are discussed here are not exclusive to just one group of audio fanatics. And I've really never seen what you described on the vast majority of audio forums.
 
Last edited:
I think that's a stereotypical and incorrect image that's used by those who tend to avoid new technology or are just enamored with old electronics. That could be why so many who've been pigeonholed into that image avoid posting here but continue to quietly follow in the background. There are many who still have some waning interest in old audio equipment but have moved on to more modern stuff. Those people should feel just as welcomed here as anyone else because a lot of audio topics that are discussed here are not exclusive to just one group of audio fanatics. And I've really never seen what you described on the vast majority of audio forums.
You should see what happens over at that AK site when someone recommends something new :yikes:
 
Another thing that I've noticed about AK is that the focus on audio is overall distinctly different than almost every other audio forum out there. On the vast majority of audio forums, everything is dominated by people who are firmly invested in the gear treadmill. Always obsessed with the next best thing, where the main source of their enjoyment comes not so much from using their gear to actually listen to music, but rather the endorphin-rush from constantly buying new gear, after which the gear mainly just serves as a status symbol to brag and post pictures about until the next model is released and the cycle repeats. The newest gear is always touted as the most amazing ever, because the marketing and paid reviewers said so, and anything that is old enough to no longer be trendy quickly becomes irrelevant and forgotten.
This is pretty much why I joined in 2005 at the tender ager of 50. :thumbsup:
 
When I receive my Fosi ZA3's, I'll post a review(as helpful, and unbiased as possible)
I have purchased and received a Fosi P3 pre(with GE 5654W tubes), a pair of Muses 02 op amps, an OTG charging/audio adapter, and a desktop stand/holder, to connect existing Iphone 10(wifi only) with a Dragonfly black(updated) to stream Pandora pemium, and Amazon music thru a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers..
ZA3's with 48v power supplies will be connected in mono mode..

I hope I'm pleased, but I won't be disappointed..
Just experimenting.. :rockon:
You will NOT be disappointed ...I paired one with my Marantz 2240B...OMG...amazing...wrote a review here on AK and ordered a second...going to try them as the mono blocks they are designed to do...what I picked up ? Extra power of course but more detail without sacrificing the Marantz sound...
 
Back
Top Bottom