• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Revitalizing AK

In my view there's nothing to worry about. I mean, it's springtime in the northern hemisphere, so people have things to do - like spring cleaning, getting their old- & youngtimers and other summer vehicles ready for the season, taking care of their gardens et cetera. No reason to interpret a crisis into every little fluctuation....

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I'm guessing that even a repetitive Tiny Tim medley would be a welcomed distraction on those ships. ;)
I am sure some sailor would like that. Not this one. The portable was for in the rack or just chilling while waiting, we waited often. My main work space, same for most shops, always had a "real" 2ch set up.
 
All I can verify is the music forum is alive and well. Maybe not as crazy as 5/6 years ago, But plenty of new members doing what AK is about. Listening to music. There are dozens of albums posted daily from guys with 10 posts to guys with 70 thousand posts
 
Just curious as to what that means? Do you know if there's less members in total than at some point before? Or do you mean the rate of new members signing up has slowed down? Or do you mean there aren't as many posts or responses to posts or ???

I have no idea.
I'd say that "interesting" posts are down. Lately, most days are like watching TV rerun marathons. Wish there were more personal reviews of some new gear to break the monotony but well, it's AK. :(
 
Learned a lesson, twice, in the last few days.. kinda 'wordy' post, point made at the end.. :biggrin:

First time.. My AC wasn't working(outside unit wasn't kicking on).. everything inside was good, including heat(gas).
I'm not hvac but figured I could find the issue before paying someone.. suumertime isn't too far off..
Pulled the panel on the outside unit and 'looked'.. the capacitor wasn't puffy, the contactor was 'contacting', the motor spun freely, the 'freon' seemed to have plenty of pressure(no gauges, just pushed the schrader valve for second)..
I checked voltage at the contactor in and out( black to ground- 117vac, red to ground- 117vac)..
Replaced the contactor.. nope..
Replaced the cap.. nope..
Called my brother, 'did you check red to black on the contactor in.? nope.. 0vac
Turn out it was a bad .410 gauge shotgun shell looking 'slow blow' fuse on one main.. the 117vac I read was 'backfed' .. no 220/240

Second, just yesterday..
Alarm tech for my company said he has a bad wire or keypad on an install.. I went out to check..
Ohm'd out the 4 conductor, good.. checked voltage(why didn't he.?) 0volts
The new ac-dc transformer was bad..

Point.. lot's of members here offer help on so many things(mostly audio, but limited to that)
I read here everyday, post now and then.. AK is alive and well..!

Another lesson learned..
Pay attention to what you read..!! ;)
 
This you see a lot. I've been guilty of it my self once or twice. First forgetting to welcome the new member first. Even though you may be trying to be helpful it can come off as being dismissive, or blunt when it really wasn't meant to be. The new member may give very vague info on what they need help with. So the answer can wind up sounding rude.
Things along the lines like, "There isn't much that can be done with such vague info." "You haven't given use anything to go on here to help you with your problem." Others may chime in similarly. You get the idea.
This tends to run them off not to be seen again. If properly welcomed first and ask questions about what it is they may be wanting to repair in a nicer tone, who knows they may show more of an interest in this hobby and hang around.

Agree strongly.

Ok, I have only been here since 2013, so, not an oldtimer. Midtimer perhaps. Nonetheless I see it as incumbent on those of us that have been here a while to try to extend a friendly hand to new members.

We should try to avoid bitchslapping them right away. There are friendly ways to say most things.

Our new members are in my opinion usually pretty good people and we are richer for them being here, so it is in our best interest to be a bit welcoming and share what we can. It also helps to remember how many members went out of their way to help me when I was new here.

My experience is that I have met a lot of new members that I like a lot, I gain just as much as they do.

Cheers,
James
 
The reality of absolutely undistracted listening is becoming an anachronism...the where, what and how as matters for discussion and debate are approaching the irrelevant...
 
I'd say that "interesting" posts are down. Lately, most days are like watching TV rerun marathons. Wish there were more personal reviews of some new gear to break the monotony but well, it's AK. :(
When I receive my Fosi ZA3's, I'll post a review(as helpful, and unbiased as possible)
I have purchased and received a Fosi P3 pre(with GE 5654W tubes), a pair of Muses 02 op amps, an OTG charging/audio adapter, and a desktop stand/holder, to connect existing Iphone 10(wifi only) with a Dragonfly black(updated) to stream Pandora pemium, and Amazon music thru a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers..
ZA3's with 48v power supplies will be connected in mono mode..

I hope I'm pleased, but I won't be disappointed..
Just experimenting.. :rockon:
 
Well...as far as "interesting"...I'll take this place over a few other provincial and parochial (read narrow of mind and/or dull) sites with heavy handed moderation and farcically obvious "editorial leanings" that exclude and pander in the same breath...names withheld to protect the innocent...
 
many don't realize that if they do their homework first, the answers they get will be more meaningful
I absolutely agree with this.

Which brings us to this quote.
I actually downloaded the ChatGPT app last night and tried out the new voice chat feature. It (correctly) suggested KSA992 and KSC1845 as transistor replacements in a conversation I was having with it about vintage amp repair. It's pretty much guaranteed that at least some of AK was a part of the data it was trained on - we know for certain from OpenAI that internet forums were a big part of its training data.
The problem with using a tool such as ChatGPT to figure out what transistor you should use as opposed to looking at data sheets is that you will not gain the knowledge as to why those transistors are compatible within the constraints of that application.

Today's communication world is image-driven and video-driven - not TEXT driven. Sure, we include pictures in many posts, but that's all secondary to the textual nature of a "forum." I wouldn't call AK "phone friendly," right?
I find this to be true in my experience at work.

When someone takes a screenshot of terminal emulator, well, previously that is, I'd point out that you can't search for the information in a picture (or at least our systems don't use any character recognition technologies). An important aspect of the data in the thousands upon thousands of our tickets is being able to search for an IP address or whatever phrase might be involved. You're never going to find previous events when screenshots are used to present information.

But I gave up on that as that logic just doesn't resonate with coworkers. It's just not a hill to die on.

As a few others have mentioned, I've seen this same discussion on several forums. I saw one on RC Groups just yesterday in the Micro Multirotor Drones subforum. The same reasons are discussed, such as FB. Then there's the discussion as to why FB sucks when it comes to those topics because there aren't any threads and the search function is low on the function part of the equation.

The reason it sucks is that when you have to work to find an answer, you're on their platform longer. More ads. Mo' money.
 
AK probably has changed over the years, as does every club/organization/association. Least from my membership POV, you can sense it.

With such a broad spectrum of population who takes part in this arena, there's going to be differences in values/beliefs. From what I have experienced in other sites, and by the share who have done like-wise, there's a lot more attention to what others think and believe, whether it be on audio gear, or things general.

If on long enough on AK, you get to know the different characters, some you respect for their knowledge base, others who just like to interact.

The content may be the "same-old" to the long timers/old timers, but to some new to this audio site. the learning curve is pretty steep!


My note of contention is, there is so little communication with the group/people who run the site and if change is needed, what and how it can be done to make it better. And will they listen?

Ak is what it is, and how much you put into it...you get out of it.


Q
 
Last edited:
Well...as far as "interesting"...I'll take this place over a few other provincial and parochial (read narrow of mind and/or dull) sites with heavy handed moderation and farcically obvious "editorial leanings" that exclude and pander in the same breath...names withheld to protect the innocent...
A couple of Harley forums I 'use to' participate in..
Some members(mods) of the first didn't agree with the rules and started their own..
It didn't take long before the second realized why the rules exist..
Things can, and do, get out of control.. sometimes, very quickly..
not just morally, but also legally..
And I believe, most importantly, Interesting(relative to the scope of the forum, but extending out to lifestyles of those interested in the main concept of the forum..)
 
In my view there's nothing to worry about. I mean, it's springtime in the northern hemisphere, so people have things to do - like spring cleaning, getting their old- & youngtimers and other summer vehicles ready for the season, taking care of their gardens et cetera. No reason to interpret a crisis into every little fluctuation....

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
^^^This.

AK participation drops in the spring, I learned after previously worrying about nothing myself. I now view that as a reflection of healthy priorities!

I am sure some sailor would like that. Not this one. The portable was for in the rack or just chilling while waiting, we waited often. My main work space, same for most shops, always had a "real" 2ch set up.
How many Klipschorns does it take to pressurize a submarine? Are there corner pairs to place them? When are the quiet hours? ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom