• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU-217 Restoration

is it obvious that it would need to be restored by just listening to it or do you need to use a meter to test things out?
You could listen to it just to get an idea if it works at all, and an experienced ear could say if it sounds 'tired' and in need of reconditioning. You are unlikely to find out much by measuring things with a 'meter' I'll assume 'multimeter' here, i.e. Volt/Ohm/Ammeter.

With the cover off you could very likely see if the infamous 'Sansui Glue' is still present - indicating that it hasn't been restored - not 'properly restored' anyway. I think I can safely state that any home audio of the same age as an AU-217 will need some work, i.e. cosmetic, and switch contacts & controls cleaning for example, at the very least.

The AU-217 is a very nice amplifier, but will only sound it's best after 'proper reconditioning'
 
Thanks guys for all the input. I should probably look for another alternative then. It sounds like it can turn into a major project for someone like me.
 
Thanks guys for all the input. I should probably look for another alternative then. It sounds like it can turn into a major project for someone like me.
I really didn't want to put you off getting one - but sadly this is the reality of vintage audio, anything worth having will be overdue for some work (unless it's already been restored). The original manufacturers never dreamt their gear would still be around and being used 30-40-50 years (and more) later. (The AU-217 dates from ~1978 - that's ~46 years! )
 
@LenniePaz You will run into many of the same concerns with any vintage amp. The AU-217 is fairly simple to service and restore. You will find MUCH help here if you want it. If the AU-217 calls to you, just go for it and find one and start listening. It is a great amp. You likely won't be disappointed.

Here is one in action -
 
@LenniePaz You will run into many of the same concerns with any vintage amp. The AU-217 is fairly simple to service and restore. You will find MUCH help here if you want it. If the AU-217 calls to you, just go for it and find one and start listening. It is a great amp. You likely won't be disappointed.

Here is one in action -
I have major OCD. If I buy one I'll always be wondering what it should really sound like and do I have to restore it to get it there? I've never done any type of electronical work on audio equipment so I think it would be out of my comfort zone trying to restore one. They seem to be going for around $200 and I'm sure a minimum of $200 in parts and equipment, which I don't have. For that much money maybe I should just get a Yamaha A-S301 which is much newer and seem to be highly regarded? I'd love to go vintage, but they seem like a major crap shoot.
 
I have major OCD. If I buy one I'll always be wondering what it should really sound like and do I have to restore it to get it there? I've never done any type of electronical work on audio equipment so I think it would be out of my comfort zone trying to restore one. They seem to be going for around $200 and I'm sure a minimum of $200 in parts and equipment, which I don't have. For that much money maybe I should just get a Yamaha A-S301 which is much newer and seem to be highly regarded? I'd love to go vintage, but they seem like a major crap shoot.

Yeah if you will lose sleep over it, it is probably best for your state of mind to go new. Vintage is not for everyone. As far as how that Yamaha A-S301 would sound compared to the Sansui AU-217 I would guess quite different - and that does not mean one better than the other. The Sansui is cap coupled and that Yamaha is likely direct coupled. I believe they are both the same class. And I would venture to guess the Sansui would be more "pleasant" sounding. I like the simplicity and looks of that Yamaha - like a distant relative of the Sansui AU-**7 series!


Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 7.47.44 AM.png


Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 7.52.51 AM.png
 
Last edited:
Yeah if you will lose sleep over it, itis probably best for your state of mind to go new. Vintage is not for everyone. As far as how that Yamaha A-S301 would sound compared to the Sansui AU-217 I would guess quite different - and that does not mean one better than the other. The Sansui is cap coupled and that Yamaha is likely direct coupled. I believe they are both the same class, too. And I would venture to guess the Sansui would be more "pleasant" sounding. I like the simplicity and looks of that Yamaha - like a distant relative of the Sansui AU-**7 series!


View attachment 3188241


View attachment 3188245
I have Amazon Prime so I have nothing to lose by testing one out. I'd love to go vintage though because I have a Dual 1019 turntable. Tough predicament. ‍At the end of the day, I probably should have mentioned what I'm using now. I have a newer Yamaha RX-V377 with a Uturn Pluto 2 phono amp, driving Infinity Reference 253 speakers.

A. Would the AU-217 even be an upgrade?

B. Would it drive those speakers to their potential?

C. My fear with getting the A-S301 is that it sounds the same as my current Yamaha receiver.
 
Last edited:
I bought the AU-217 and TU-217 combination last year from the original owner.
It is completely original, untouched and never been serviced.
You can tell just by a listen it needs to be recapped at minimum. It sounds tired, lifeless, no depth or fidelity at all.

If interested in a vintage amp, you should be looking for a good Tech that can make it sing its best. Unless you can do the refurbish work yoirself
 
I have Amazon Prime so I have nothing to lose by testing one out. I'd love to go vintage though because I have a Dual 1019 turntable. Tough predicament. ‍At the end of the day, I probably should have mentioned what I'm using now. I have a newer Yamaha RX-V377 with a Uturn Pluto 2 phono amp, driving Infinity Reference 253 speakers.

A. Would the AU-217 even be an upgrade?

B. Would it drive those speakers to their potential?

C. My fear with getting the A-S301 is that it sounds the same as my current Yamaha receiver.

No way to really know until you’ve tried them. The Sansui is from a different era. And it is cap coupled so SQ is going to be different than those Yamaha’s. If you are in the PNW you could come listen to my AU-217. If not you could try to find someone close to you with one. Or do what most of us do, hunt for a deal, buy it and try it. Sell it for what you paid if you don’t like it. I’ve been through some gear. Some of it tired and flaccid as is, some have been time capsules that looked unused and sounded superb without any attention. These units are all different based on their history. There are no absolutes.

My impression is you are looking for something guaranteed and turnkey. Buying new or professionally restored with a warranty is your only path, to that place (if you aren’t doing the restoration yourself).

Here’s what I swapped out of my AU-217 to make it “new again”.

IMG_6291.jpeg
 
No way to really know until you’ve tried them. The Sansui is from a different era. And it is cap coupled so SQ is going to be different than those Yamaha’s. If you are in the PNW you could come listen to my AU-217. If not you could try to find someone close to you with one. Or do what most of us do, hunt for a deal, buy it and try it. Sell it for what you paid if you don’t like it. I’ve been through some gear. Some of it tired and flaccid as is, some have been time capsules that looked unused and sounded superb without any attention. These units are all different based on their history. There are no absolutes.

My impression is you are looking for something guaranteed and turnkey. Buying new or professionally restored with a warranty is your only path, to that place (if you aren’t doing the restoration yourself).

Here’s what I swapped out of my AU-217 to make it “new again”.

View attachment 3188301
WHOA, that's a lot of soldering. What would be a fair price if I do come across one, that I'd be able to flip without a loss, if I don't like it?
 
WHOA, that's a lot of soldering. What would be a fair price if I do come across one, that I'd be able to flip without a loss, if I don't like it?
Hard to say. Not sure where you are or what your local market is for this stuff. Search eBay and your local listings. You’ll eventually be able to get a feel for values. And this isn’t the correct for them to discuss dollar amounts.
 
Keep in mind that ebay is on the higher end of pricing. Very over-inflated.

Local listings are best.

That is a good point. You can search eBay sold which will tell what the actual market value is, and what you could list on eBay and expect to sell at. List prices are aspirational. But this stuff does sometimes sell at aspirational prices. Some people “need it now”. And I’m guilty as charged, too.

Good luck!

IMG_6292.jpeg
 
eBay has one in Canada for a reasonable price. It was recapped and serviced. The seller provided pics of what he replaced.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 51
Seems like a great deal, but you'll have to factor in shipping cost.
Shipping cost will still be way cheaper than getting someone to refurbish one.
 
If I do find one that seems to be in pretty good shape, is it obvious that it would need to be restored by just listening to it or do you need to use a meter to test things out?

You can, but all of the caps in these units are nearing the end of their life. So while the unit may function for a while, the likelihood of having it run for another 20 years untouched is not too great.
 
You could listen to it just to get an idea if it works at all, and an experienced ear could say if it sounds 'tired' and in need of reconditioning. You are unlikely to find out much by measuring things with a 'meter' I'll assume 'multimeter' here, i.e. Volt/Ohm/Ammeter.

With the cover off you could very likely see if the infamous 'Sansui Glue' is still present - indicating that it hasn't been restored - not 'properly restored' anyway. I think I can safely state that any home audio of the same age as an AU-217 will need some work, i.e. cosmetic, and switch contacts & controls cleaning for example, at the very least.

The AU-217 is a very nice amplifier, but will only sound it's best after 'proper reconditioning'

yes would agree. Once you go through them with new parts, they can sound their best.
 
Nice rebuild. I've had mine (AU-217 paired with their TU-317) since it came out in 1978. Still running strong. I've owned other stereos since then but this one would be hard to give up.
Possibly might need to recap due to age, but as long as it still works I'm just going to listen to it, then fix if it breaks. Hard to believe 46 years and it is still going strong.
 
I am also renovating a Sansui AU-217. In addition to the capacitors already mentioned that are important for the sound of the amplifier, C23, C24, C25, and C26 are also important. After replacing these, the amplifier sounded warmer and the harsh, ragged edges in the vocals, saxophones, and trumpets disappeared. Céline Dion has a beautiful voice for testing. If you get the creeps and want to turn down the volume, something is wrong. That's what these electrolytic capacitors do when they are worn out.

[edit: added "when they are worn out"]
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom