• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sears by fisher receiver

70barracuda

Active Member
Found a sears audio by fisher model close by. Model 143-92541600 and looks pretty good condition. Seller wants $125 for it. Are these worth that?
 
Register to hide this ad
Found a sears audio by fisher model close by. Model 143-92541600 and looks pretty good condition. Seller wants $125 for it. Are these worth that?
Depends on which model.These are not easily identified only so my the numbers on the back.I had this model.It was quite the beauty and sounded very good.Only sold it because I am downsizing.The buyer couldnt pull out the money fast enough ($150).
 

Attachments

  • 20211009_192949.jpg
    20211009_192949.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20211009_193133.jpg
    20211009_193133.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 107
It really is in great shape. Listened to it for a couple hours tonight and it sounded good to me. Didn't really plan on the speakers but they are nice as well. Found a set of monitor 5s nearby that would match pretty good...
I have a pair of Polk Monitor 5jr's. They aren't too bad either. The Jr's have small passive radiator to extend the low end.
 
^ The 7 series was considered by Matthew Polk himself one of his favorite speakers. I've owned a pair and really liked them and there are many here on AK and other forums who can't praise them enough.

They're obviously larger then the 5 series so the only thought I would throw out to you is do you want a floor standing speaker as opposed to bookshelf if so I would say they're a better buy for the same price
 
^ The 7 series was considered by Matthew Polk himself one of his favorite speakers. I've owned a pair and really liked them and there are many here on AK and other forums who can't praise them enough.

They're obviously larger then the 5 series so the only thought I would throw out to you is do you want a floor standing speaker as opposed to bookshelf if so I would say they're a better buy for the same price

The pair I'm looking at are $140 and in good shape with the peerless tweeter. Is that around what they go for? Guy won't budge off that price.
 
^ The 7 series was considered by Matthew Polk himself one of his favorite speakers. I've owned a pair and really liked them and there are many here on AK and other forums who can't praise them enough.

They're obviously larger then the 5 series so the only thought I would throw out to you is do you want a floor standing speaker as opposed to bookshelf if so I would say they're a better buy for the same price

I've had a few pairs of 7s and 1 pair of 10s, and I liked the 7s best. They sound best on short stands.
 
Found a sears audio by fisher model close by. Model 143-92541600 and looks pretty good condition. Seller wants $125 for it. Are these worth that?

I picked up a Sears By Fisher Receiver that was in very good condition from a Craigslist seller about 5 years ago. $75 and he threw in one of those inexpensive black plastic Fisher turntables. The main issue I have with these early to mid 70s period Mass Merch receivers is their meager watts output. Most are around 12 watts per channel since that was standard at the time for chains like Sears and Roebuck, Montgomery Ward, W.T. Grants and Radio Shack. That's adequate as long as you have efficient speakers and are not a Rock concert volume listener.

The rig I picked up just needed pot and switch cleaning and a good internal dusting. It's a large and heavy receiver with decent discreet circuitry. I have seen similar on eBay for ridiculous prices, in the $500 range touting the "rarity" because of the Sears branding. $500 is beyond Pluto, but for $125, now it's in the ballpark of planet Earth pricing.

fisher.jpg

I also got a pair of these Fisher STV-724 floor speakers from the same guy - $50. These can be driven with the 12 watt Fisher, but are happier in the 35 - 75 watt range for more presence in the music. Although at present, my Sears by Fisher is currently driving them. They are "fairly" efficient for large floor towers.

fisherspeaks.jpg

I think you did well, especially with those Polk speakers added. Good hunting:

-Billy
 
Last edited:
So I actually picked up a Yamaha ct-810 and ca-810 tuner and amp last week so now the fisher will go the way of facebook marketplace. I enjoyed it but the yamaha deal was too good to pass up and I really only need one set up. also Seller for the Monitor 7b's hit me up tonight saying someone backed out so they are mine for $120 which I will be doing of sure. So now I have a set of 4s, 5s, and 7s.
 
Depends on which model.These are not easily identified only so my the numbers on the back.I had this model.It was quite the beauty and sounded very good.Only sold it because I am downsizing.The buyer couldnt pull out the money fast enough ($150).
Made a deal to get my old Fisher back.I had a H/K AVR 7000 in my bedroom and it was overkill and did not have a phono section.I am looking to use the Fisher with a turntable to play my collection of jazz lps that I have hardly touched.Its funny how after many years at this and many pieces of hi powered gear I have come back to the lower powered 70s receiver.I love this Fisher.It just has a very lush and open sound to it.I am not letting it leave my hands again.
 
Back
Top Bottom