• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Service needed in Michigan - Crossed Paths Vintage??

I just got my Pioneer SX-880 receiver back from Brent Huskins/Crossed Paths Vintage today, 16 months after shipping it off and after he charged me $450. The restoration was supposed to cover a recap, replacement of known problem components, and alignment of the tuner section. The handwritten note that he included in the package with the receiver said "After the restoration the unit was fully calibrated and both tuners were [unintelligble] and aligned." He also said "We" finished with a full output bench test that showed the power amp making about 71 watts per channel (spec is 60).

I have tested the power section from the AUX input and I've got good-sounding function through a pair of JBL two-ways up to very roughly one watt.

However, I took gut shots of the receiver with the cover removed before I packed the receiver for shipping so that I could verify what work was done. All I have been able to determine so far is that only two mid-size electrolytic caps were replaced. I haven't really been able to evaluate the AM/FM tuners because the dial pointer gets stuck about a third of the way from the right end, although without connecting an antenna I was able to tune one FM station which it had trouble doing before because of misalignment. He drew lines on top of just about all the electrolytics including the two he replaced but the rest, best I can tell, are 100% original. The two big 15,000uF/50V power supply filter caps are the originals. The glass of the dial lamps is darkened and therefore can be assumed to be original.

For the past four months I've been getting after him about the receiver; long story short, when he responded at all, he kept telling me he was finishing it up. I told him I was preparing to go the law enforcement route to recover my property (I in fact did contact Burleson, TX PD; they said to initiate a complaint locally but also, the officer called me back and told me there have been multiple complaints). I told him I was preparing to dispute the credit card charge and I requested and received paperwork to do that.

The faux wood applique on the cover took some wear and tear that I don't think was there when I sent the receiver but unfortunately I hadn't taken exterior photos. The upshot of all this is that after a year and a third, barely any restoration was performed. At minimum, my receiver needs to have the dial travel fixed. I am relieved to have at least gotten my receiver back without physical damage or anything horribly wrong. I should probably take a more careful look but I don't believe any of the electrolytic caps are leaking or bulging.

I know that restoring one of these things is not trivial. I could do some of the work myself but I don't have the equipment to align stereo FM. I was willing to pay good money to get this one-owner receiver back into shape, but I am done dealing with Brent Huskins and Crossed Paths Vintage. Because something was done, any attempt to dispute the credit card charge is likely to come down to discerning what fraction of $450 is replacing two caps and twiddling some trimpots and slugs worth and I doubt satisfaction lies down that road. That being said, I've got documentation of my experience (photos included) if and when it's needed.
 
I just got my Pioneer SX-880 receiver back from Brent Huskins/Crossed Paths Vintage today, 16 months after shipping it off and after he charged me $450. The restoration was supposed to cover a recap, replacement of known problem components, and alignment of the tuner section. The handwritten note that he included in the package with the receiver said "After the restoration the unit was fully calibrated and both tuners were [unintelligble] and aligned." He also said "We" finished with a full output bench test that showed the power amp making about 71 watts per channel (spec is 60).

I have tested the power section from the AUX input and I've got good-sounding function through a pair of JBL two-ways up to very roughly one watt.

However, I took gut shots of the receiver with the cover removed before I packed the receiver for shipping so that I could verify what work was done. All I have been able to determine so far is that only two mid-size electrolytic caps were replaced. I haven't really been able to evaluate the AM/FM tuners because the dial pointer gets stuck about a third of the way from the right end, although without connecting an antenna I was able to tune one FM station which it had trouble doing before because of misalignment. He drew lines on top of just about all the electrolytics including the two he replaced but the rest, best I can tell, are 100% original. The two big 15,000uF/50V power supply filter caps are the originals. The glass of the dial lamps is darkened and therefore can be assumed to be original.

For the past four months I've been getting after him about the receiver; long story short, when he responded at all, he kept telling me he was finishing it up. I told him I was preparing to go the law enforcement route to recover my property (I in fact did contact Burleson, TX PD; they said to initiate a complaint locally but also, the officer called me back and told me there have been multiple complaints). I told him I was preparing to dispute the credit card charge and I requested and received paperwork to do that.

The faux wood applique on the cover took some wear and tear that I don't think was there when I sent the receiver but unfortunately I hadn't taken exterior photos. The upshot of all this is that after a year and a third, barely any restoration was performed. At minimum, my receiver needs to have the dial travel fixed. I am relieved to have at least gotten my receiver back without physical damage or anything horribly wrong. I should probably take a more careful look but I don't believe any of the electrolytic caps are leaking or bulging.

I know that restoring one of these things is not trivial. I could do some of the work myself but I don't have the equipment to align stereo FM. I was willing to pay good money to get this one-owner receiver back into shape, but I am done dealing with Brent Huskins and Crossed Paths Vintage. Because something was done, any attempt to dispute the credit card charge is likely to come down to discerning what fraction of $450 is replacing two caps and twiddling some trimpots and slugs worth and I doubt satisfaction lies down that road. That being said, I've got documentation of my experience (photos included) if and when it's needed.
With the case off, observe the dial cord. It sounds like it is overlapping itself and catching at the tuner knob hub. If so, I put beeswax on the string to cure it. It comes in small "blocks". Just rub it on that section of the string by holding the beeswax against the string while turning the tuner knob.
 
With the case off, observe the dial cord. It sounds like it is overlapping itself and catching at the tuner knob hub. If so, I put beeswax on the string to cure it. It comes in small "blocks". Just rub it on that section of the string by holding the beeswax against the string while turning the tuner knob.
I will try that; thank you for the suggestion. I just hope the slip isn't between the dial pointer and the gang variable caps. If so, I have a public radio station nearby at a known frequency so I can at least more-or-less calibrate that way.
 
Thanks for the reply. I ended up sending it to a place called Crossed Paths Vintage in Texas. Fingers crossed it was a good decision. I will let you know how it goes.
cross paths vintage has had my marantz 4300 for two years of excuses and he blocked my calls and email after paying him $716
 
Brent sent back my Pioneer about 2 weeks ago. As soon as I unpacked it, I pulled off the cover and saw that everything was original. Granted, he did clean the backplate and the receiver seemed to be in good working order again, but it was nowhere near the total re-cap that he advertised and certainly not worth the $450 that I paid and waited nearly 5 months to get it returned. I took photos of it with the cover removed, they're posted below. In viewing the photos, anyone could see that he hardly touched the inside of the receiver. I'm just hoping that nothing else fails on it so that I need to bring it to a local tech for service.
did you do it through ebay?
 
did you do it through ebay?
No, thank goodness. At least that gave me some recourse options that his eBay customers don't have. The thing is, though, if I dispute the charge, is the bank going to be trying to discern how much of the $450 worth of work that I paid for actually got done, and just how is that going to go down?

I'm sorry about your Marantz. I hope you at least get it back no worse than when you sent it.
 
Update:
My buddy got his Marantz Model 4400, after over two years of getting the runaround, getting a lawyer involved, he finally shipped the unit back. He didn't do one thing to it. Stay far far away from this POS.
 
It's a damn shame this guy is still up and running and ripping us off.
I am in a lawsuit with ebay first for paying for a service without contract fulfillment and inspection. Enableing contractual scams on unsuspecting ebayershe has had my marantz 4300 for 2 years my father has died never seen his unit again
 
I am in a lawsuit with ebay first for paying for a service without contract fulfillment and inspection. Enableing contractual scams on unsuspecting ebayershe has had my marantz 4300 for 2 years my father has died never seen his unit again
I really hope you get this unit back. Have you filed a complaint with the Texas AG office?
 
Just reading through some of the goings on with this so called tech. It's shocking and kinda disgusting. I often see so called "techs" on eBay offering services like this or amplifiers that are so called "refurbished". I quick sweep on the photos included in these listings often shows that there are a lot of original electrolytics still there. It really annoys me when I try so hard to repair anything that comes across my bench to a as new or better than new standard and these guys give everyone else a bad name...
 
Well..... I was excited to find his listing on eBay too and after a phone call, SAME story. Has had my Marantz 2275 since November 2022 and no end in sight. Will attempt one more time before I dish out a storm of complaints to every agency in Texas. Just wonder how he stays under the threshold of criminal charges when such a pattern is showing the intent to defraud. I'll add to the saga when I find out what he says on Tuesday, the date he said (text) he would have a completion date.
 
Good news is my bank has recovered the $500 for the service. Bad news is he still has my Marantz 2275. He sent a text asking for $50 to ship it back which I funded..... sent me a tracking number with UPS but never delivered the package to UPS. Now he won't respond to answer for his latest lie. I did file with the Attorney General, BBB, and Burleson, TX Police. They are very familiar with the name Brent Huskins as he does this all the time. At some point he will held responsible for his actions. Just a matter of time.
 
Full disclosure.... my 2275 finally arrived on Wednesday 05-03-23 and guess what? He never even opened the box. This is actually a blessing as I really didn't want him working on it after being advised of his manners. I feel lucky I'm only out the shipping and 5 months of time but I got it back and she is still beautiful and sounds as good as ever!

I did find a tech locally that I trust so he'll be going through it in the near future. for the record, I cannot recommend this person or company for anything! For those with equipment still in his possession, I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope it works out for you.
 
Full disclosure.... my 2275 finally arrived on Wednesday 05-03-23 and guess what? He never even opened the box. This is actually a blessing as I really didn't want him working on it after being advised of his manners. I feel lucky I'm only out the shipping and 5 months of time but I got it back and she is still beautiful and sounds as good as ever!

I did find a tech locally that I trust so he'll be going through it in the near future. for the record, I cannot recommend this person or company for anything! For those with equipment still in his possession, I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope it works out for you.
You're one of the lucky ones, I just don't understand how this joker isn't behind bars yet.
 
I must be living right! I'm looking for another tech but really shell shocked... when you find a name and start searching on background/reviews, it's all the same story take your money and maybe never see your equipment again. Anybody got a recommendation for an honest restoration tech?
 
Back
Top Bottom