• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your big Ten-Inch...

chicks

Lunatic Member
... records. Show me yours and I'll show you mine. ;)

Favorite of today's GW finds, this 1949 Columbia release:

100_4791.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice find!

I love Benny Goodman and Peggy Lee. I'm sure that record is a winner.

Ten inchers? Where to begin? Here's a few 78s:
 

Attachments

  • oct-nov-finds-2011-028a.jpg
    oct-nov-finds-2011-028a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 30
  • albumcover_4_24_11-024a.jpg
    albumcover_4_24_11-024a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 78sa.jpg
    78sa.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 29
Ooh, I'll play! Here are a few of mine...a mix of blues, jazz, rock and punk. :)

attachment.php


One of my favourties is this oddly shaped Squeeze EP.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0239.jpg
    DSCN0239.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 605
  • DSCN0240.jpg
    DSCN0240.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 241
The coolest 10" I own has to be this Robert Johnson test pressing. Don't think it made it to the public back in the day, as he talks nasty on it. :)

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0241.jpg
    DSCN0241.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 743
I think I just got the US version of this at a thrift last week. Great record. It's called "Ray Charles, In Person"

FANTASTIC. That's a killer live album too. It was recorded by an Atlanta disc jockey with one microphone pointed at the stage. When Jerry Wexler heard the tape, he flipped and knew he had to release it.

The coolest 10" I own has to be this Robert Johnson test pressing. Don't think it made it to the public back in the day, as he talks nasty on it. :)

attachment.php

WHOA...!
 
The original version was the inspiration for the thread title. It's quite fun. Can't say I've heard the Aerosmith version.

Some of Jackson's later risqué material, including "Big Ten Inch Record" (later covered by Aerosmith on Toys in the Attic) and "Nosey Joe" (written by Leiber and Stoller), both from 1952, were too suggestive for airplay, but remained popular.
--Wikipedia
 
I have a few 10 inchers. a couple of my favorites are an Edith Piaf microgroove and a neat colored one be a great band called schlong... yes they called themselves schlong. great SF based punk from the 90's. also have an odd 8" record and an even stranger 5" record. the 5" record is pretty weird, it cant be played on an automatic turntable , or one with auto return function because the auto return will kick in before you can place the needle on the record. never seen another one.
10inch.jpg

5inch.jpg
 
The coolest 10" I own has to be this Robert Johnson test pressing. Don't think it made it to the public back in the day, as he talks nasty on it. :)

attachment.php

this is too cool! you should burn this recording and share it with us. I would love to get a copy
 
Well since ya pulled my leg,
here are a few easily accessible ones from my collection:

Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks/Don Juan (Columbia) 1949
Rita Hayworth-Miss Sadie Thompson (Mercury) 1953
Beethoven-Symphony No.8 F Major Bruno Walter NYPO (Columbia) 1948 *first 10" Lp, Masterworks #ML2001
Khatchaturian-Gayne Ballet Suite Radio Symphony Orchestra of Europe (Varsity) year unknown
 

Attachments

  • Photo on 2011-11-08 at 23.41.jpg
    Photo on 2011-11-08 at 23.41.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 7
Love this thread! Ten inch discs are still going strong, I'm happy to report. Nashville Record Pressing still makes them...and Erika Records will still make 10" picture discs (at least last time I saw their catalog). Anyway, here are two curios I picked up last month. Haven't played either one because my 78 stylus is in need of replacement. How could you pass this stuff up?
 

Attachments

  • Barrymore78.jpg
    Barrymore78.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Chinese78.jpg
    Chinese78.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom