• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Maybe you could go to a bank and ask if they have a spare vaultdoor or something :D But indeed that would suck if people tried to steal your precious gear.
 
The other half of my TA-E77ES/N77ES arrived today. Clean, adjust, veneer repair and new bulbs will be my first project this summer. I really like the 'light bar"s that light up on the buttons when a particular function is selected. Very colorful.

Also, I need manuals of both sorts (OM & SM) for both pieces. If anyone has them to share I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

DSCN1883.jpg
 
Sony's only VU meter-equipped power amp - sold like hotcakes everywhere.

Heard this morning the president of Sony France discuss various matters on national radio for about an hour. It was very interesting and a lot of politically correct rubbish.
Fellows, cherish your vintage Sonys because you won't see or hear anything like what you have gathered from that brand anymore!
 
My lost Sony's!

Further to my first post about the Sony's lost for 20 years in the spare bedroom, here they are!
 
B2, the 77es preamp had a problem on all three production units I have resulting in low/medium level hum. I traced the fault and will post details including pics if yours has the same problem.
 
Fitzy said:
Further to my first post about the Sony's lost for 20 years in the spare bedroom, here they are!

I dont see anything man ! :tears:

Glenn: I see you have gone back to an old love :) Nice units !
 
restorer-john said:
B2, the 77es preamp had a problem on all three production units I have resulting in low/medium level hum. I traced the fault and will post details including pics if yours has the same problem.
Please post. I am likely not the only one who will be interested.

Would you have any of the manuals in electronic format that you could share? Thanks.
 
the KX !

...well, here are my KX:

- KX-20PS1: my second one, not NOS like the other one but still in excellent shape,

- KX-27PS1: missing its control door, of course, and fairly rough on the outside but the tube and mask are ok.

The custom flight-case of the 27 now houses some unused audio Sonys ;-)
 

Attachments

  • KX.jpg
    KX.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi B2, I have the following S/Ms but they are all original sony paper versions. TAN77es, TAE77es/d, CDPX7esd, CDPX77esd, TCK333esr, STS333esxII. I am moving house this week so it will be a while before I am in the position to scan any sections for you. The schematics use shading and reds so colour scanning is the only real option and they are large, so it isn't a simple A4 scan and email thing. As for the E77es preamp fix, I have taken pics and closeups but it will have to wait until I am in my new place. Good news is however, I will be getting my ss333es speakers out of the storeroom to post long overdue pics for Axel.
-john
 
The Lost Sony's!

Further to my first post on this site here are pictures of the Sony's buried in the spare bedroom for the last 20 years! TA-E88B, TC-K88B and a TAN-7. I'm using the pre in my system and it sounds great with the GyroDec/MC cartridge combination, been listening non-stop to all my 60's/70's/80's vinyl! Sorry for the delay only just managed to get originals compressed.
 

Attachments

  • P1000195.jpg
    P1000195.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 102
  • P1000213.jpg
    P1000213.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 90
  • P1000204.jpg
    P1000204.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1000201.jpg
    P1000201.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 63
  • P1000207.jpg
    P1000207.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 101
Never seen one of the pre-esprit units with the little clip-on thingies to hide the rackmount holes. Maybe I'll have some custom made myself sometime!

Beautiful stuff fitzy!
 
Beautiful units Fitzi !

Funny, I registered for TVK three UK s/ns: the #600 002 is a "B" while the 600 005 (yours) and 600 008 are silver - seems the repartition between bronze units and silver ones was made randomly.
 
The Lost Sony's!

Took some pictures of the end caps, they are bolt on items of typical early Sony quality. I orderd them from Sony Tokyo when I was with the Sony Pro dealership and were not UK items, probably the only ones in the Country! Also some pictures of TA-N86 and TA-N86B front panels ordered at the same time. I used to have all my audio equipment rackmounted in those days, looked very impressive with a full set of 88's, pre/2 x power/tuner/tape deck/2 front panels!. I know I have some pictures from that time showing the rack along with a TTS8000 and a pair of G7's, I will try my best to find them. I also found a spare operating instructions for a TC-K88B, its a bit grubby but not torn or crinkled if someone wants to make an offer also the two 86 front panels. Found loads of receipts including one from November 1981, TA-E88B £125.00, a pair of G7's £239.00, probably worth a bit more now!
 

Attachments

  • Sony End Cap 1.jpg
    Sony End Cap 1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Sony End Cap 2.jpg
    Sony End Cap 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Sony End Cap 3.jpg
    Sony End Cap 3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 86 Front Panels 1.jpg
    86 Front Panels 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 48
TA-N88's

The 88 power amp's were good, not as dynamic as the 86's but a whole lot more reliable! A pair always sounded better than a single. We had LOTS of 86's returned under warranty, they ran VERY hot and needed plenty of air space around them and a lot of clients kept them in cabinets as was the fashion at that time. I still think the TA-N7's were the best sounding amp's from that period reinforced by my recent use, fantastic bottom end and soundstage.
 
Tts8000

My youngest son has had my TTS-8000 since 1989, still has it. I had lots of arm/cartridge combinations on it the best being a Technics with three interchageable arm tubes cant remember the model number (360/3600?) but we used to supply it to radio stations and recording studios with SL15's. A friend still has the arm, I will try to find out the model number. My son is using a SME arm with Shure V15/3. He wanted it when I bought my first GyroDec, still sounds good. It has the reconstituted grey stone plinth and he is sending me some pictures of it, I will post them when they arrive. I found the original box it came in along with the other lost Sony's items already mentioned and he has threatened me with excommunication if I junk it!!!!
 
Fitzy,

nice to hear from a guy, who has real first hand information, because many of us didn´t notice these SONY units at these days.

The end caps are really nice looking, they give the preamp a quite different look. Axel, what does the design specialist think about that ?
We Sony owners should think about a reproduction of these. The right anodisation would be the biggest problem ...

If you ever want to get rid of the two faceplates, I would be a thankful buyer ...

When I reported, that the N86 is inreliable, not everybody wanted to believe me, but my two units played a few years in class A every day and now they are dead, both PLPS boards are black and the caps are dry ...

The N88B nowadays isn´t much more reliable anymore, because it has some hot spot heat problems, which kill the PCBs of the PSU over the years and the V-FETs don´t like any changes in supply voltage at all, they are tiny divas in TO-3 cans ... :D

BTW: I heard the TA-E900 last weekend, it´s sounding very similar to the E88B. I´m not sure, if it´s - performance wise and serviceability wise - really worth the $920, but for me as a SONY collector it´s still a "must have" item. I will continue to seek for one of my own.

Next weekend I will audition the phono sections ...
 
Back
Top Bottom