• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

...buried in the spare bedroom for the last 20 years!

How does one "bury" such wonderful pieces for 20 years :sigh: ?! Yesterday's discardred "junk" becomes today's dicovered treasure :banana: Those beauts are VERY desirable today for sure! Congratulations on your re-discovery!
 
Unda Maris said:
Fitzy,

nice to hear from a guy, who has real first hand information, because many of us didn´t notice these SONY units at these days.

The end caps are really nice looking, they give the preamp a quite different look. Axel, what does the design specialist think about that ?
We Sony owners should think about a reproduction of these. The right anodisation would be the biggest problem ...

If you ever want to get rid of the two faceplates, I would be a thankful buyer ...

When I reported, that the N86 is inreliable, not everybody wanted to believe me, but my two units played a few years in class A every day and now they are dead, both PLPS boards are black and the caps are dry ...

The N88B nowadays isn´t much more reliable anymore, because it has some hot spot heat problems, which kill the PCBs of the PSU over the years and the V-FETs don´t like any changes in supply voltage at all, they are tiny divas in TO-3 cans ... :D

BTW: I heard the TA-E900 last weekend, it´s sounding very similar to the E88B. I´m not sure, if it´s - performance wise and serviceability wise - really worth the $920, but for me as a SONY collector it´s still a "must have" item. I will continue to seek for one of my own.

Next weekend I will audition the phono sections ...

There was a ta-e900 on german ebay last weekend that went for only 560 euros or so, too bad you missed that one, it looked really really nice too.

I am gonna go to Japan some day and pick up some ta-e900 and ta-n900's and apm's, it will be a glorious time :D

Just got done tweaking the ta-f70 before delivering it to my friend, it's running within spec again. Yet again tested the N7 for bias and dc offset, still going real strong!
 
Yes I missed that glorious E900, but that´s hopefully not my last chance.

There is also a TA-E900 on hifido, they want to have about €1500 for it, but that´s completely insane ... :no:

How did the F70 sound ?
Btw: Do you have a nudie of it ?
 
Next time I see one pop up, I will let you know. Figured since you are so actively looking for one, you'd have noticed. The monoblocs went for 828 euros. Not too shabby either.

I have seen the one on Hifido, insane indeed... I inquired for the pair of SS-G333ES they have for sale, they made me a price, but haven't heard from them since, and they don't even reply to new mails or anything...
Would the 6 ohm load of those be too much for the N7, even after the overhaul ?

The ta-f70 sounds very nice actually, very composed. Very wide soundstage, plenty of detail, dynamic, if a bit more on edge and bass control seems not as good as my setup. But when not comparing directly, it sounds absolutely beautiful!

It seems to have one big high voltage cap less than the ta-f80, that connects to the PLPS.

Here is a nudie, and also a nudie of my N7 (to tease Glenn :D)
 

Attachments

  • DSC00172_rs.jpg
    DSC00172_rs.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00184_rs.jpg
    DSC00184_rs.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 56
CDP-901 flagship player from SONY

Does anyone except Axel know this one ?

Regarding the numbering CDP-901 it seems to be rather an ESPRIT CD Player, than a ES unit !

The numbering makes it top of the line in 1982.
What do you think about that ?

Edit:

The overhauled N7B should not have any problem driving a 6 Ohm load
 

Attachments

  • CDP-901 proto.JPG
    CDP-901 proto.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 70
Cool, in that case I think I will get on their ass about it. Sure look like some nice pair of speakers, and restorer-john likes his very much. I am curious :)
 
Any users/comments on the TA-F60?

Ive had my antenna's up for a TA-F80 and saw this
TA-F60.I know its 75 WPC,1979-81??Thats about it.
In a pic of the back of the unit.It reads min 8 ohm
speaker impedance.If I ended up with it,I was hoping
to hook up a pair of 4 ohm,Polk SDA-1A's,Woops!
Any comments would be helpful,as Im not sure if I want
to continue persueing it!?!
It is a nice looking amp and I have lots of 8 ohm speakers,Just having second thoughts-
Mark.
 
Last edited:
I just read again the post about the SS-G333ES, sounds really like a steal for me, even with shipping from Japan. So do it ! I´m also very curious !

Btw. The F70 looks pretty much like the F80 inside, it has only a smaller PSU (the F80 also has also only one big cap, so i don´t know, why there is a place for a second one. As if there were a TA-F90?) and half the number of output transistors. The rest of the power amplifier looks very similar.

SLUGGO:

If the F60 is the scaled down version of the F70 it probably has the same power stage and a little less supply voltage. Probably it´s capable the 4 Ohms at lower powers, but not at full power or even with clipping (and the associated phase shifts).
The polks are quite efficient, so I would expect that you don´t need much more than 10W.
 
They are (hopefully) on the way. I've ordered them :)

Aren't they nice ?

a.jpg


Regarding the TA-F70/80: that extra cap is always visible on cutouts online, or inside views from brochures, weird that they didn't install it in real life... what is it for anyway ? just a filter cap for the psu ? not many µfarrads though and high voltage ?
 
Yes, they are.:yes: You'll have to listen for all of us.:music: If you don't mind, what is the weight of each speaker and how much is shipping from Japan? I paid $352 for the 57 pound A-2000. But, considerably smaller. Good luck with it. The A-2000 took ~2 weeks via air.
 
Shipping is about 270€ from Japan, which is almost as much as the speakers cost themselves, but hey, not going to find them anywhere else than Japan, so I'm gladly paying for it. Each speaker weighs 32kg.

Can't wait :D
 
They are really looking too good:drool:, hopefully they will reach you in one piece ...
Axel, the translations of Digic magazine articles for these speakers give (as allways) a really good insight. That´s again a proof, that "Jap is Crap" is mainly related to information lack due to language problems and snobism.
Btw: The Polyolefine diaphragm material is (besides Teflon) the worst to bond plastics material. Hopefully SONY used the best adhesive for the diaphragms ...

TA-F70/80:

The big capacitor is the main buffer capacitor of the PSU, because in a switching power supply, the mains voltage is rectified to about 325V (in Europe) on the primary side. The stored energy inside that cap is as high as the energy stored in the two secondary 10000uF caps. It could be, that the American and Japanese versions had two capacitors.
 
Unda Maris,
I'm not so charitable anymore when I look back and consider the universal 'Jap is crap' defamation which was widely bandied about in the US and UK hi-fi magazines of the time.I'm certain that it was a concerted campaign to protect the hi-fi industries in both those countries.
The realisation that they had lost the race against the Japanese with regard to product developement,aesthetics,sonic quality and manufacturing efficiency at a time when there was a downturn in consumer demand in hi-fi product,necessitated a dirty tricks campaign to slur the reputation of the superior product which was entering their markets.
The fact that this defamation campaign was carried out by the hi-fi magazines/journalists of the time,leaves me in no doubt that there is a stench of embededdnes,an unhealthy relationship between the manufacturers and the mags/journos which no doubt continues to this day.There were most certainly journalists of the day who were "in the pockets" of certain manufacturing interests,and I'm sure that there is a continuation of that lack of unbiasedness which continues right up to today.
Vested interests continue to have undue influence on which components are promoted as recommended to the public.:thumbsdn:
 
That´s again a proof that "Jap is Crap" is mainly related to information lack due to language problems and snobism.
No question that some of this is true. It is also due to huge marketing errors by the Japanese at the time, who were relatively new to selling on their own in NA (i.e. Superscope, etc.). Had no idea how to attack the high-end market. And, subsequently, did not bring their best to NA (you lucky home islanders) or Europe (although you got more than we did). Also, a large amount of it was due to the truly crap stuff that they sent over as their manufacturing was still getting up-to-speed from WWII. Easy to over-simplify the answer to this. But, as most folks who owned early Japanese cars/trucks will atest, they were not very good. Nor were many of their other early-run products. Perceptions become reality in the short-term and only time fixes that. Now that NA designed/built automobiles are the equal to the Asian imports (latest JDPowers report), it will take years of undoing to convince the public.

Remember.......it's true......Jap is crap........so send me your TA-N7B and TA-N88B. :D Oh, and I'll accept a Yamaha B-2x, as well. Or is that a different thread?
 
Unda Maris said:
Axel, the translations of Digic magazine articles for these speakers give (as allways) a really good insight. That´s again a proof, that "Jap is Crap" is mainly related to information lack due to language problems and snobism.

That's right but only part of the picture. There also is what theophile says which was and still is quite important, sales-wise.
Not to be forgotten however is Sony's own incomprehensible decisions not to export its own best components, beginning in 1981/82.
So it is in part lack of information, indeed, but part of that lack is due to... Sony :D
 
I understand that this field is much more complex than I formulated in my last post, but it´s probably also too easy to say that the domestic manufacturers and/or the journalists or even SONY alone have only to be blamed for that.
For every manipulation, there is the need for weak people who are easily manipulable .... :nono:
There is probably another still existing factor: Anti Japanese "ressentiments". :para: While this was potentially valid for the US and UK, I´m not sure if this could be equally true for whole western Europe.

Whatsoever, even today, after the big marketing wars are over for a long time, it´s still buried deep in the soul of many people and it´s not easy to eliminate.
 
There is probably another still existing factor: Anti Japanese "ressentiments". :para: While this was potentially valid for the US and UK, I´m not sure if this could be equally true for whole western Europe.
Perhaps for folks who are veterans of WWII and for a while shortly there after, which might have included baby-boomers 30 or 40 years ago. But has nothing to do with today. If you don't want a TV or DVD or many, many other products (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.) with a Japanese or Asian name on it, you'll be severely limited. Not sure what you are basing your thinking on, but you obviously haven't spent much time in NA recently. Your comments are similar to someone stating that Germany still has Nazi tendencies. While there are those in Germany that do (and in the U.S. and other countries, unfortunately), to say that of a country as a whole is not only unfair, it is inaccurate. But, you are entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it is. Perhaps you are getting the overblown BS in what passes for 'news' these days mixed up with reality.
 
Back
Top Bottom