• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your Technics stuff

What a gem! Incredibly rare outside Asia, hence the lack of mentioning.
The backlit faceplate is just adorable on this unit. Imagine what a tuner in this design would have looked like…
 
I just bought this dead SU-50A and it's in queue waiting to be repaired.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this beauty in the thread before.

View attachment 1643417

Wow, that is very cool. Never heard of it. Found an image of an illuminated faceplate:

Technics+50a.jpg


Main link: https://goldenageofaudio.blogspot.com/2014/05/technics-eaa-2010su-2010su-50atechnics.html
 
That is one of the more obscure units… not very typical design-wise, which is a faint indication that this unit was made under licence by a third-party manufacturer. Technics did this in a few selected markets for one or two pieces of their devices, mostly for budget receivers.
Speaking of receivers: this is what most people in the U.S. think about in a first instance. The truth is, however, that Technics sold receivers almost exclusively for export markets. If you search for them on the Japanese market, you won't find much at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually made by JVC. The Sendust Alloy heads were rare outside of JVC. As mentioned, I've never seen another Technics deck - or Panasonic for that matter - that had them.
 
Wow, that is very cool. Never heard of it. Found an image of an illuminated faceplate:

Technics+50a.jpg


Main link: https://goldenageofaudio.blogspot.com/2014/05/technics-eaa-2010su-2010su-50atechnics.html

Wow I couldn't find anything on a matching tuner, presumably a ST-50. Maybe it never existed? That wouldn't surprise me, I have other pieces that never had proper matches. For example, the Scott Alpha 1 preamp and Alpha 6 power amp. There was never a proper matching tuner made. The T-527 tuner has similar appearance and handles, but isn't the same width. They did have the CD-87 cassette deck which matches the Alphas, including width. The apparent plan was to have other power amp options too, I heard the Alpha 10 (100wpc) and Alpha 20 (maybe 120, or 200wpc?) But those never happened either. I still love my Alpha 1, Alpha 6, and CD-87 though! And I have a couple T-527 to use with them.
 
Maybe it never existed?
It never did, I just said it would have been nice had 松下 made a matching tuner.
In fact, at this stage the company collaborated with Luxman, and most of the early tuners actually were allegedly designed by them. Don't quote me on that, though.
 
I found all these within 30 days and feel sooo lucky to own this gear;SA-8100x, 1 owner
SB-L300's SB--L200's all working and sounding amazing to my ears!! Never gonna part with 'em!
 

Attachments

  • 20191125_205033.jpg
    20191125_205033.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20191210_181852.jpg
    20191210_181852.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20191114_214946.jpg
    20191114_214946.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20191115_143214.jpg
    20191115_143214.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20191026_195832.jpg
    20191026_195832.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20191026_195826.jpg
    20191026_195826.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 74
I've been meaning to post here for a while, having built up a modest Technics collection:

Amps
SU-Z400 (one black and one silver) The silver one came with the matching ST-Z400 tuner. I almost didn't buy this because of the looks but then I picked it up and thought "hey, that's pretty heavy". Glad I did, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounds. The black one has an LED backlight replacement that is too white and bright, but it's all part of the learning process :) Furry power chip has been cleaned now!
P4170337_2.JPG IMG_2251_2.JPG IMG_2043_2.JPG
SU-Z550 I like the heat pipe cooling on this. Makes it a bit lighter than you'd expect for an amp with this power. Lives in the garage and powers whichever speakers I feel like hooking up
SU-V60 Bought as part of a package and unbeknownst to me full of cold solder joints. Much better once these were fixed and currently doing duty in the home office (which means it's going to be used a lot for next little while :thumbsdown:). Probably the 'best' Technics amp I have?
IMG_2932_2.JPG IMG_5960_2.JPG
SU-X950 Bought because it was with a nice Sony ES CD player and wasn't expensive. Like the SU-Z400 I was surprised by how good this sounds, but using the Sony as a source for the first listen won't have hurt

Receivers
SA-104 One of the options in my garage. I like that I turn it on and the radio starts playing - so easy. It runs two pairs of speakers with 12" woofers that would probably like a lot more more juice.
SA-210 My father has this since his Sanyo developed a fault
SA-TX50 This is such a cool unit, I love the looks and ease of use so it does daily duty in the living room. One day I might even try it for surround sound
IMG_2892_2.JPG

Tuners
ST-S505 I have a black one and a silver one, nice tuners
ST-Z400

CD Players
SL-P2 This won't play, I'm hoping it just needs caps
SL-P111
SL-P220 Gets used in the living room because of remote capability and matches the black SU-Z400
SL-PD888 Cost almost nothing, sounds good, great functionality compared to other carousel players I've used and works off the TX50 remote
SL-PJ11 Tiny little brick with possibly the best sound of the old players I have

Speakers
SB-MX30 These are pretty cool, but as this list shows, I have too much stuff so they don't get used as much as they deserve
IMG_4218_2.JPG

I have had a few other pieces and still have a couple of others including a black SL-D202 that I think needs a new IC to make it start, but that's plenty for now.
 
Hi everyone

While I don't have anything extraordinary, rare or otherwise spectacular, I figured maybe I'd honor my trusty reliable Technics setup by mentioning it here. It is what I use for my everyday HiFi needs:

technics.jpg

From top to bottom, that is
  • An SL-1210 MK2
  • An SL-P110
  • An RS-T330R
  • An SA-313
Over the years I've had to replace the audio cable on the SL-1210, the belt on the SL-P110 and one of the power amplifiers on the SA-313. I'm really quite fond of these devices, the only thing that I'm not really happy about is the volume control on the SA-313 – a simple knob would be so much easier to make small volume adjustments than these silly buttons.
 
Hi everyone

While I don't have anything extraordinary, rare or otherwise spectacular, I figured maybe I'd honor my trusty reliable Technics setup by mentioning it here. It is what I use for my everyday HiFi needs:

View attachment 1830468

From top to bottom, that is
  • An SL-1210 MK2
  • An SL-P110
  • An RS-T330R
  • An SA-313
Over the years I've had to replace the audio cable on the SL-1210, the belt on the SL-P110 and one of the power amplifiers on the SA-313. I'm really quite fond of these devices, the only thing that I'm not really happy about is the volume control on the SA-313 – a simple knob would be so much easier to make small volume adjustments than these silly buttons.
I agree with the push button volume control. My 828 has it and, although it looks neato with the bar graph light and all, it is not nearly as user friendly or intuitive as a detented knob. What were they thinking?...
 
Back
Top Bottom