• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure or Technics alignment tool?

Electone

Well-Known Member
Installing a Shure M97xE on my SL1200mkII. Should I use the Technics alignment tool (52mm from tip to gasket) or the tool that Shure provides with the cartridge?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
You could set it with the Technics and then check it with the Shure. I would think they would be close. Let us know.
 
I believe they are different alignment geometries. I want to say Technics uses Stevenson, and the one with the Shure is probably Baerwald. I believe you should be able to use either, but for ease of use I'd go Technics. Personally I have no luck with the 2 dots on paper tools.
 
You could set it with the Technics and then check it with the Shure. I would think they would be close. Let us know.

I believe they are different alignment geometries. I want to say Technics uses Stevenson, and the one with the Shure is probably Baerwald. I believe you should be able to use either, but for ease of use I'd go Technics. Personally I have no luck with the 2 dots on paper tools.

That's right. The Shure protractor that comes with the M97xE is Baerwald so it's not going to agree with the Technics alignment jig. In other words, use either but not both. It'll only confuse things.

That being said, since the Technics engineers seemed to favor Stevenson for their arm, I've always used it, regardless of the cartridge, and never been sorry. What I do is set the cartridge using the jig and then fine tune with the protractor or, as for_P1 says, with a test record if you have one.

John
 
I'm not liking that Shure cardboard protractor very much. The spindle hole is too small and I feel if I force it down, it's going to throw the alignment off anyways. I'll stick with the Technics procedure (52mm).
 
Check your Technics SL-1200Mk2 owners manual for installing/aligning the cartridge and follow the manuals advice. Use the Technics overhang gauge.
 
Back
Top Bottom