• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sidney Poitier has passed

Register to hide this ad
I remember his acting from when I was a kid, ca. 1968. I always thought he was great. At the age of 11 I didn't realize the significance as an actor of color. I just thought he was a great actor with great parts.

My first recollection is likely his role in Bedford Incident.
 
One of favorite my actors of all time, a great man without doubt.

The first time I saw him was on TV in "Lilies of the Field" in the early sixties, so good. Loved him with Rod Steiger in "In the Heat of the Night" and saw it at the theater in '67 still one of my favorite movies.

RIP Sidney

 
Last edited:
...you know he had to break thru some barriers.


I always thought of him as being "The Icebreaker".


First Black actor to garner an Academy Award.

First to talk back to White Folk without reprise.

Did a look-see on a Poitier's more memorable movie, "To Sir With Love"...a great show!

This movie made over $40 million on a $1/2 million budget. Poitier in turn earned only $30k for the role of the teacher.

Research was done to find out why this film did so well at the box office; the reason was Poitier.

Being a janitor and dishwasher in his past, Poitier said he could relate to the kids of the slums in the movie.


Viewers who took in a Sidney Poitier movie had the common belief that... he lived the parts he played.


RIP Mr. P., you've made your mark in the movies...and more!


Q
 
Last edited:
My wife used to see him weekly as they had appointments in same building with therapists at same time. He would hold the door for her if they were at door at same time, which was often. First time she encountered him she said she nearly swooned as he exuded such charm. This was about 25 years ago.

I knew one of his daughters from his first marriage, Pam, she was a dance / movement instructor in NYC that was taking on teaching instead of the grind of looking for work as an actor when I was studying that type of stuff in early 1980's. She looked just like him.

RIP to not only a trailblazing actor but an amazing actor in his own right even absent his notable race line crossings. The one he did with Tony Curtis (who knew Tony could really act?) is great. See it on Amazon.
 
Last edited:
The one he did with Tony Curtis (who knew Tony could really act?) is great. See it on Amazon.
"The Defiant Ones", a story of two escaped prisoners (Poitier and Curtis), who are shackled together and who must co-operate in order to survive. After they escaped the warden didn't really care about chasing them. Thinking they being black and white, would eventually kill each other.
But the togetherness and their need to cooperate in order to make progress helped create a mutual respect for each other. A great film, worth watching again.
 
Last edited:
No one has mentioned, A raisin in the sun. A movie I have to watch every time it's on. Nothing but great acting from all. It tears my heart out everytime I see it. As great as all the acting is. Sidney does rise as the cream of the crop.

Kind of a short story.
Last year my GF of 8 years and I watched it for her first time. She is black and I am white. That's all she talked about for weeks. She had no idea I watched movies like that. I had to explain to her, that for me, there are no black movies or white movies, just great movies. Mater of fact the big difference for me is old vs new movies. I seem to prefer old.
We watched my blu ray of Cabin in the sky.
She flipped when I pointed out the moon walk in the film. This was done in 1941. She thought Michael Jackson had invented the dance. Plus don't forget the Wizard of Oz, tornado in the window.
 
"Raisin in the Sun", another great performance by Mr. Poitier. It's one of my wife's all time favorites and she watches it (and the remakes) every time it appears on tv.
 
Back
Top Bottom