• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Signalpath in Marantz 2230

A-zon

New Member
Hi, bought a Marantz 2230 and shall replace all capacitors, but which one should I change to audio capacitors in the signal path? Don`t now how to locate the signal path. Any info about this is much appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
None. There will be no difference in sound quality. Use the same caps everywhere. Panasonic FM is recommended.
 
Highly debated, lol. Not the in signal path/not in signal path issue, but the effect of different models of caps. I redid a 2230 and used Nichicon Gold Tune 'lytics on the amp boards, and some others. Very low hour receiver; I believe it warmed it up even more, but I also changed some values so it isn't a completely fair comparison. Panasonics are great general caps to use; I agree. For large filters, United Chemcon has a line that I use that are of outstanding quality (i use these primarily in 2325, 2275, etc, where the 18,000uf 75v model with screw terminals fits perfectly.)

Generally, look at the schematics and check preamp and power amp boards. Getting into the tuner usually isn't necessary [you will have to re-align it].

have fun!
 
18,000uF is too much for this receiver, though. And definitely overkill, as it cannot be used fully.
 
If you are doing the work yourself put in the best caps you can. For example a 100uf 50V cap Elna Silmic II 1.21 a Panasonic FC is .54 so it is no big deal. It is not like one is 5.00 and the other is 10.00.
 
It's still three times more money for no difference in sound. Elna Silmic II performs WORSE than Panasonic FM (but the difference will not be audible). Not recommended.

Price does not equal quality. This applies to everything (a good, simple example is failure-prone Apple hardware, vs higher quality, cheaper brands).
 
It's still three times more money for no difference in sound. Elna Silmic II performs WORSE than Panasonic FM (but the difference will not be audible). Not recommended.

Price does not equal quality. This applies to everything (a good, simple example is failure-prone Apple hardware, vs higher quality, cheaper brands).

Whatever?
 
Thanks for replies, think I do it the standard way, found a caplist I believe is posted by Jailtime and use Panasonic FM serie.
Have read Patfonts big thread and have the deepest respect for that work, it is way beyond my horizon. Just want to have the best out from the 2230.

Thought my question was simple to answer, for example: change C100 and c101 at ampboard and c100 and c101 at the toneboard.
When you guys do this do you convert all caps to audiocaps allover or just a few selected? (exept receiver board)

I will not experiment with my 2230, I keep it with original specs and off course convert to ledlamps, maybe I try to compare caps when it comes to my 2215 witch will be the next one to recap.

//Roland
 
The large filter caps are a real PITA. Diameter is important if you want to retain the use of the clamps, you have latitude with height. The large solder points under each cap take real work to loosen up. Results are worth it for sure. Mine sounds amazing after the recap. On the audio boards I used all Nichicon FG or KZ. The PS were Panasonics, IIRC. Nice receiver to work on. Bias current is easy to set.
 
Back
Top Bottom