• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony 2251 and/or 2250 owners thread

Previously I mentioned an audio review of the day comparing the SP10 and the TTS-2500 / TTS-2xxx
but was never able to come across it again. Was it just a dream?
 
Question for you folks using a record clamp / weight on their 2250 / 2251:

Do you think the spindle thrust bearing will support regular use with a heavy weight puck or clamp? I’m asking ‘cause I’ve seen lots of different spindle bearings - from heavy duty, like in my Russco to really thin and lightweight, as used in my ‘59 Pickering Gyropoise.
Puck weight is no issue on the Russco..

ALSO - is everyone using only the original rubber platter mat or..?
 
Previously I mentioned an audio review of the day comparing the SP10 and the TTS-2500 / TTS-2xxx
but was never able to come across it again. Was it just a dream?

I've read about some famous audio magazine where the reviewers were reviewing these models, one preferred the SP10 and the other the TTS-2500.
 
I've read about some famous audio magazine where the reviewers were reviewing these models, one preferred the SP10 and the other the TTS-2500.

Read the same thing when I bought my 2250 a few years ago. I've often wondered if that's internet lore, don't think I ever saw the article posted anywhere.
 
Read the same thing when I bought my 2250 a few years ago. I've often wondered if that's internet lore, don't think I ever saw the article posted anywhere.

Source:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...r-japanese-tables.778879/page-2#post-10707926

When I saw your post I pulled an old TAS. In the fourth issue, spring 1974, HPL did a short review of the Panasonic SP10 and PHD did the same for the Sony PS-2251 and SP10. PHD found the Sony to be the overall better table. The SP10 was HP's reference for a few issues and felt it superior to the Sony. In the end HP begrudgingly acknowledged that the PS-2251 and SP10 were in the same class.
​

HP = Harry Pearson
PHD = Patrick Donleycott
 
EaZeIw0WAAAYI7x
 
I wonder if that review in absolute sound would’ve been the very first SP 10, not the mark 2 etc. I have a pair of the SP 10 mark twos and I’m wondering if I should add the Sony 2250 to my collection. Lol.

One can never have too many turntables I always say.

cheers
 
I wonder if that review in absolute sound would’ve been the very first SP 10, not the mark 2 etc. I have a pair of the SP 10 mark twos and I’m wondering if I should add the Sony 2250 to my collection. Lol.

One can never have too many turntables I always say.

cheers

No doubt it was the first.

On the other hand, it seems that in japan the SP10 (mark1) has a cult status due to its motor having many more poles and slots than the subsequent sp10 mk2.
 
…Another question - Have any of you fitted a longer than 9” arm to their 2251 on the stock dimension armboard - and still have it fit under the original dust cover? Wondering if a 10” or longer arm will fit without issue..
 
…Another question - Have any of you fitted a longer than 9” arm to their 2251 on the stock dimension armboard - and still have it fit under the original dust cover? Wondering if a 10” or longer arm will fit without issue..

My Sony PS-2310 has exactly the same dimensions of plinth (than a 2251) and has a 245mm effective-length tonearm, that's 9.7"

I can bet this arm could be fitted to the 2251 armboard without problems.
 
My Sony PS-2310 has exactly the same dimensions of plinth (than a 2251) and has a 245mm effective-length tonearm, that's 9.7"

I can bet this arm could be fitted to the 2251 armboard without problems.

Thanks for that!
I’m actually thinking of fitting an arm that uses 239mm centers - a 10.5” arm - but I’ll have to do a bit of measuring.. I don’t want to modify the metal chassis to fit it. I may just go with a standard Rega length arm.
 
Thanks for that!
I’m actually thinking of fitting an arm that uses 239mm centers - a 10.5” arm - but I’ll have to do a bit of measuring.. I don’t want to modify the metal chassis to fit it. I may just go with a standard Rega length arm.

I wouldn't modify the metal chassis. FWIW... I like my SME 3009 arm. Much adjustments available.

BTW... I'm using the aluminum Sony SH-135 headshell. Seems to work well with most MC cartridges. I shoot for a weight range of around 17 to 18 grams, for headshell and cartridge. With the next larger counterweight on the SME 3009 --- I can adjust the balance and anti-skate in a nice range. I shoot for 8Hz resonance.

Sony SH-135 headshell (6).jpg

weight - denon.jpg
 
Last edited:
This sure seems like a great table. Got it running for another hour now, just to be sure of no issues. Love the light touch switches and overall feel of this table, too! Put a record on and got my Discwasher brush out.. Plenty more torque than my Luxman PD-272 has!

OK -

Since I’m not wanting to shim up the feet on this nice 2251 to level it, what are all doing to level these out? Has anyone converted to adjustable feet?
 
This sure seems like a great table. Got it running for another hour now, just to be sure of no issues. Love the light touch switches and overall feel of this table, too! Put a record on and got my Discwasher brush out.. Plenty more torque than my Luxman PD-272 has!

OK -

Since I’m not wanting to shim up the feet on this nice 2251 to level it, what are all doing to level these out? Has anyone converted to adjustable feet?

Playing cards, in what I use. Of course, must be the Jumbo Index Bicycle brand. ;) :thumbsup:

I also use a small Denon bubble level to level the headshell/tonearm. You need to compensate for the weight of the bubble level --- to get an accurate adjustment for the tracking force used.

bubble-azimuth_3kKp7yaTN7tHG7k38aggCS.jpg
 
Last edited:
Noooo… I don’t like shims! I used to put similar underneath hockey pucks with felt pads on each side. Of course it works fine, but this deserves a classier solution, me thinks..

Not worried about leveling the arm, just yet.. Thinking about installing one with easy azimuth and VTA adjustments - another Audiomods Six. I’ve had one on my Sota Nova since mid ‘19 and it’s been a really nice arm. While not period to this Sony, I think it’ll be a good choice. Now I just need to save up for it… ;)

BTW - couple pics of it running. Speeds still spot-on after another hour and a half.

IMG_5578.jpeg IMG_5577.jpeg
 
Noooo… I don’t like shims! I used to put similar underneath hockey pucks with felt pads on each side. Of course it works fine, but this deserves a classier solution, me thinks..
]

How about naked lady playing cards? That would add some class.

Glad you’re getting it done Duane, that’s a great accomplishment. Next project is the EAR Preamp ha ha.

cheers
 
How about naked lady playing cards? That would add some class.

Glad you’re getting it done Duane, that’s a great accomplishment. Next project is the EAR Preamp ha ha.

cheers

And who doesn’t appreciate naked ladies.. :)

The 834 clone will be started on again soon, I hope.. As long as I’m feeling able.
Been feeling pretty bad for a while now but wanted to get this 2251 to the point where my kids won’t stick it out for a yard sale when I’m gone. Like I write, really bad lately.. :(
 
Back
Top Bottom