• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony 2251 and/or 2250 owners thread

No, I’m really not..

The bookshelf speaks were only being tested for a few days at fairly low volume as I’d just picked ‘em up for a super price at a thrift store..! I don’t normally have any speakers up there. :)
They do want way more power than that little SE tube amp puts out though.. Those are Angstrom Legato bookshelf speakers BTW - not very efficient..

Duane:

What happened to the pictures? Those are some beautiful speakers, or did I imagine them:dunno::rflmao:
 
Mine are upstairs and put away… Sorry Andy - I’ll dig ‘em out sometime and take a few pics.

I do have other pics though.. :)

It’s all balanced, aligned and leveled.. Tracking probably a little heavy @ 1.6 grams and VTA may not be dialed in yet.
Arm is Audiomods Series Six in the standard “Rega length”. Cartridge is a very low mileage AT-14 Pro (nude Shibata). I bought NOS.
I need to save up pennies for one of the newest Series Six arms in the 10-1/2” version and put it on the table I stole this from..
I’ll do some fine tuning on it but it’s playing right now - and sounds amazing.. :)

Sony’s first direct-drive and their “flagship” model. Nice table.

IMG_5593.jpeg IMG_5594.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Mine are upstairs and put away… Sorry Andy - I’ll dig ‘em out sometime and take a few pics.

I do have other pics though.. :)

It’s all balanced and leveled,
Arm is Audiomods Series Six in the standard “Rega length”. Cartridge is a very low mileage AT-14 Pro (nude Shibata). I bought NOS.
I need to save up pennies for one of the newest Series Six arms in the 10-1/2” version and put it on the table I stole this from..
I’ll do some fine tuning on it but it’s playing right now - and sounds amazing.. :)
Sony’s first and “flagship” direct-drive. Nice table.

View attachment 2902064 View attachment 2902065

Very, very nice! :thumbsup: :)
 
Mine are upstairs and put away… Sorry Andy - I’ll dig ‘em out sometime and take a few pics.

I do have other pics though.. :)

It’s all balanced, aligned and leveled.. Tracking probably a little heavy @ 1.6 grams and VTA may not be dialed in yet.
Arm is Audiomods Series Six in the standard “Rega length”. Cartridge is a very low mileage AT-14 Pro (nude Shibata). I bought NOS.
I need to save up pennies for one of the newest Series Six arms in the 10-1/2” version and put it on the table I stole this from..
I’ll do some fine tuning on it but it’s playing right now - and sounds amazing.. :)

Sony’s first and “flagship” direct-drive. Nice table.

View attachment 2902064 View attachment 2902065

Just a beautiful table, and I’m sure it sounds fantastic, the Armboard is perfect :trebon: always used my Denon DP 75 as sorta a reference table, I’m sure the Sony is just as good….

VR
Andy
 
Not that I’ll notice it but original wow/flutter spec was 0.04%. Original SP-10 (MK 1) published a spec of 0.03%… Looks like they were intended to compete. All I can say is, glad I picked this 2251 up.. :)

P.S. - I’m really liking the cork shoes on this.. :)

IMG_0082.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Not that I’ll notice it but original wow/flutter spec was 0.04%. Original SP-10 (MK 1) published a spec of 0.03%… Looks like they were intended to compete. All I can say is, glad I picked this 2251 up.. :)

Those are prolly nominal new ratings. It would be nice to see what they test after a few years of use. I'm sure they would still be good.

Both my 2251 and Technics 1200MkII are completely quiet, just spinning. Something you need to be careful about with the Sony. The strobe light is kinda hidden and the only lit indicator that the table is on and turning.
 
WOULD YOU BELIEVE… (I really need to stop looking a fleebay..) I JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER 2251 !! - What a chump I am…
Details after I pick it up - probably not ‘till next weekend.
Not as pretty as the one I finished this morning - and my wife is already pissed off… But I thought the price was right.. :rolleyes:

A couple pics:

IMG_5605.jpeg IMG_5604.jpeg
 
Oh, Oh! But, nice pickup.

sweating_gif_(2)_5pVN8DnghmMbadTE4TkQKF.gif
 
It's my turn now!!

Beta test of the finished plinth, for now with a Sony 2310 (Belt drive) as placeholder. Pics show a RB101 tonearm but now i have removed it and fitted a RB303.

Bass response of this custom plinth + 2310 motor unit + RB303 is significanly better than my stock 2251 plinth + 2251 motor unit + stock armboard + SME 3009/III. And this SME has monster bass response in my replinthed Lenco. (My take is that the stock 2251 armboard is flimsy).

This custom armboard is 7mm thick, made from phenolic board, as is the rest of the plinth (pure phenolic board, no MDF, i did it as an experiment).

View attachment 2897107

Flavio, I’m really liking that plinth you have… Did your plinth guy charge a whole lot for it? Curious… :)
 
Were there any real differences between the 2251 and 2251LA?
I’m taking it that LA just stood for “Less Arm” - but wondering if anything else was different.. :)

Duane
 
Were there any real differences between the 2251 and 2251LA?
I’m taking it that LA just stood for “Less Arm” - but wondering if anything else was different.. :)

Duane

Just guessing. But, the 2251 seems to come with a solid wood (no cutouts) tonearm board. The 2251LA has a cutout metal board. :idea:
 
Just guessing. But, the 2251 seems to come with a solid wood (no cutouts) tonearm board. The 2251LA has a cutout metal board. :idea:

Not sure about that.. The one I just bought is a “plain” 2251 - and has what looks like a gray painted arm board (like the drive unit) that looks like was for the Sony arm. The one I got running yesterday is the “LA” version that’s got a Grace sticker on the arm board and was apparently cut for the SME 3009 arm… It’s aluminum, BTW.
We’ll figure it out. :)
 
Wow Duane, now you’re going to have to finish the EAR project to support all the tables :bigok:

Congrats,
Andy

You’re absolutely right. I’ll need to concentrate and keep focused more on that project though and my medical schedule keeps changing… When I know I’ll have a full week or so to play (?), I’ll get back on it.
Good thing is - I’m feeling a little better these past couple days.. :)
 
You’re absolutely right. I’ll need to concentrate and keep focused more on that project though and my medical schedule keeps changing… When I know I’ll have a full week or so to play (?), I’ll get back on it.
Good thing is - I’m feeling a little better these past couple days.. :)

Very happy to hear that :cool:
 
You’re absolutely right. I’ll need to concentrate and keep focused more on that project though and my medical schedule keeps changing… When I know I’ll have a full week or so to play (?), I’ll get back on it.
Good thing is - I’m feeling a little better these past couple days.. :)

You are building a DIY EAR phono-preamp? Two inputs are really a nice feature if you can include it. Makes switching between decks so much easier.

Good luck on that. :thumbsup:
 
I am contemplating a long distance buy of a 2251. This would be my 2nd one. The seller claims it's fully functional. While he's not able to fully test it himself, he tells me it came from his uncle who was very picky about his components. He has tested that it powers on, and the strobe works correctly.

This one comes with a PUA-113 tonearm, which I've never used. Can somebody look at these pictures and let me know if the arm looks in correct and decent shape? I see what seems to be a droop on the back end of the arm but I've read that is normal and does not necessarily mean that the rubber grommets have disintegrated. From another angle, the arm looks fine.

s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg
 
It looks like a droop to me. Is that the one in Temecula, by chance?
Looks decent - probably a good buy but that arm looks funky.. Arm cuing lift pad is facing wrong way too, I think.
 
It looks like a droop to me. Is that the one in Temecula, by chance?
Looks decent - probably a good buy but that arm looks funky.. Arm cuing lift pad is facing wrong way too, I think.

Thanks.

Yeah that's the one. There are other pictures online that would indicate the droop is normal. An old listing said " The counterweight is offset horizontally, that is not a droop, it is supposed to have the downward bend". And there's an expired listing for the arm here and the pictures look similar: https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649936825-sony-pua-113-tonearm/images/4240447/

I'm hoping somebody here that actually owns the arm can provide more detail.
 
Back
Top Bottom