mitchalee
Active Member
I have both the APM-22ES and APM-615. The 22 are much smaller, heavy, far better cabinet build. It is a bit misleading to say lower end in this context. They are smaller 2-way less expensive. But in no way lower quality in sound or build. I think they sound more detailed and refined than most of the 3-ways. The 615 are big cheap boxes, rather hollow sounding and fragile. But they do hit some nice solid bass. The vocals are better than most inexpensive loudspeakers. The high end is OK, though not as refined as the 22.
I suspect that if one re-calked all the inside seams of the 615 and added foam to the inside back and loose batting on that, then they would sound much better, perhaps fantastic. I think Sony chose to get a little more bass volume at the expense of clarity and control with the 615 by under-damping them. OK to very good drivers in a big, insustantial boomy box.
I suspect that if one re-calked all the inside seams of the 615 and added foam to the inside back and loose batting on that, then they would sound much better, perhaps fantastic. I think Sony chose to get a little more bass volume at the expense of clarity and control with the 615 by under-damping them. OK to very good drivers in a big, insustantial boomy box.