• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Southern California AK Winter Meet-up Info & RSVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes really dirty records have needed a few cleaning sessions to get cleaned up and this has worked wonders on my really dirty ones that I picked up form a create sale of old records. Some were really really bad.

I have a label saver disc that you put on a record and then you can wash it in a sink without worry about the label getting wet. I give it a good scrub with a rubber scrubber and dish soap that works really good and use the faucet end that sprays the water a little harder and really give a good top wash.

This really works great when you then do a US clean after that.

I got a really nasty record that you could not even play to almost great sounding now. I will have to do it probably once more and it will probably be a keeper after that. Heck, it almost is now.

The biggest advantage to this type of cleaning is not just the dramatic reduction in the pops and crackles but really the floor noise. If you do them really good, you can't hear anything between songs. It truly is amazing.

I would love to take on your dirty record as a project. Should be fun.
Sounds like a challenge! It'd be handy if the label saver was really watertight so that we could just run these through the dishwasher... without heat drying or the high temp sani mode, of course! J/K! ;)
 
Sounds like a challenge! It'd be handy if the label saver was really watertight so that we could just run these through the dishwasher... without heat drying or the high temp sani mode, of course! J/K! ;)
They are waterproof. Works perfect actually.
Never thought of the dishwasher with no heat!! That would work man. I will bring it and we can check it out on a crap record first to make sure.
 
Heads Up. There is a pair of JBL L166s (and other stuff including vinyl) at a Lake Forest estate sale this weekend. See my post in Dollars and Sense.
 
I came across two records last night that I bought in the early 80's. One is so nasty with something sticky on it and general dirt that it'll barely play the first track. I'm not sure how it got so dirty; none of my others are that bad, and it hasn't been touched in decades. At any rate, I'll clean them, give them a spin, and then we can try your setup if they are still bad. The one should make a great test subject!


Gee, I just can't imagine what could have gotten on the record and been so sticky so many years ago. :idea:

The_Cars_-_Candy-O.png
 
I have 3 300B tubes I need a matched pair from. Can you do that while washing records?

Going to leave on my desk unless anyone is interested. They have about 4 hours on them.

upload_2020-1-15_17-3-39.png
 
My unit isn't calibrated, but all that is needed to check for matched pairs is comparing readings between tubes and making sure they read identical in order to claim matched.
Unfortunately something has come up and now I'm not sure if I will be able to attend. :(
 
I'm also bringing my little Fiio M11 Pro player with 3.5 cables and a

No big deal, other than we will miss you. I know a guy (thanks to Tim).
My EICO will be calibrated and ready to go. I may be able to check for it bird. Bring them just in case.
 
So what is the preferred listening drink? Maybe this should be a general poll.

As we are mostly old guys, I assume we like bitter - IPAs.
Space Dust, Hop Stupid, Hop Juice?

Just checking.
 
So what is the preferred listening drink? Maybe this should be a general poll.

As we are mostly old guys, I assume we like bitter - IPAs.
Space Dust, Hop Stupid, Hop Juice?

Just checking.
I will be buying the beer. I have Laganitas and Medello so far. Taking requests. I will also have water and coke and sprite for those who do not wish to drink. I will have two coolers. Maybe three. Refreshments are as critical as sound.:thumbsup:

but, let me know if there is a special request. It’s on me gents.
 
So what is the preferred listening drink? Maybe this should be a general poll.

As we are mostly old guys, I assume we like bitter - IPAs.
Space Dust, Hop Stupid, Hop Juice?

Just checking.
I'll take just about any domestic over any IPA that I've tried! :beerchug:
 
I will be buying the beer. I have Laganitas and Medello so far. Taking requests. I will also have water and coke and sprite for those who do not wish to drink. I will have two coolers. Maybe three. Refreshments are as critical as sound.:thumbsup:

but, let me know if there is a special request. It’s on me gents.
Sounds good! Do you have diet versions of the soft drinks, for those staying away from sugar? If not, I can pick some up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom