• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker ID and value. Update: ADS L1530

bberkom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I think these may be some big ADS? Seller lists dimensions as 50" x 24" x 12". Any thoughts on what they are and what value may be? I'm contacting seller to get more info.
63EBB696-83E8-44BC-8253-14562C4A8573-2133-00000132D9265FBC.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Great googly moogly. Eureka. Go get them. :thumbsup:
Haha I was afraid someone might say that. I sure wasn't looking for speakers this big, but these are 2030's aren't they? I have seen a couple threads on these recently, so I recognized them. How efficient are these speakers? My biggest amp is my ST-70.
 
Depending on condition I would think $600-$1,000 anything less than $500 would a really good deal imo. There really isn't much to restore unless there's damage. No surrounds, no ferrofluid and a very basic crossover if you want to recap them. Their sensitivity is 95db and your ST70 should drive them just fine. Good luck these are great speakers; mine are my daily listeners and lifetime keepers
 
Look like L1530s to me. L2030s are more like this -

2001-monolith-apes.jpg


(This is old joke from ADS. One of the speaker engineers had this image on his wall with an L2030 cut out of the literature and in the monolith's place)
 
Well I talked to the seller today. She hasn't had a lot of interest so far it doesn't sound like, and it's her late husband's stuff. Her prices are basically high ebay prices, but I made her a reasonable and good offer on the ADS L1530, the CR-2040, and the PL-570 in the photo. All of it appears to be in great condition. She said she is going to consider my offer and see if anyone else comes and offers more. She wants to give it a few days, and I can't blame her if someone is willing to pay what she's asking.

Hopefully by the end of the week it'll still be there and I can scoop it up at decent value. It's a bit of a risk, but I don't really need any of it and would probably only keep the speakers and sell the rest. Just don't wanna pay top dollar.
 
Just don't wanna pay top dollar.

If I make an offer on quality but as is gear it's 50% of what working units sell for. That releases the seller from any responsibility they operate correctly and covers your expenses putting everything back into operation. Most sellers are reasonable and understand that top dollar prices only apply to 100% functional & cosmetically perfect units. At the worst, you are at break-even and at best you have 50% upside if you decide you don't want to keep it. This is as close to an everyone wins deal as you can make IMO.
 
Good advice. That's basically what I explained to the seller. I'm not trying to scroe or make a bunch of money reselling the stuff. Gotta keep my head above water though. I made a solid offer, so here's hoping it'll be good end of this week. I had some decent audiokarma in 2017, so let's keep it going in 2018.
 
Good advice. That's basically what I explained to the seller. I'm not trying to scroe or make a bunch of money reselling the stuff. Gotta keep my head above water though. I made a solid offer, so here's hoping it'll be good end of this week. I had some decent audiokarma in 2017, so let's keep it going in 2018.

The other thing a 50% fair offer does is release you from potential "I should bought those..." regret if the seller wants more because at that point it's no longer a good deal.

/and for vintage audio gear there are always another
 
I have a decent deal in place and am going to try to pick up tonight. ADS L1530's, Yammy CR-2040, and Pioneer PL-570. Wish me luck! I'm a little worried about what will happen when I get the speakers back to the house for my wife to see, but let's worry about that later.
 
In the house! Won't have a chance to listen until tomorrow, but everything is in great condition. The speakers have a couple minor scratches and pulls on the grills, the receiver a little grime on it, but they'll clean up very nicely. The turntable is immaculate. Pretty happy camper. The wife has some issues with speakers that large, and even I didn't realize how imposing they would be. I'll worry about that later.

Snagged some nice 10 or 12 ga, super long speaker cables too. Like 20' long. Will make a few nice pairs!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6945.JPG
    IMG_6945.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6946.JPG
    IMG_6946.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6947.JPG
    IMG_6947.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 118
Congrats! Those 1530s should put a smile on your face and, after a listen, hopefully your wife's too.
 
Very nice! Congrats. Everything looks to be in great condition, too. Let us know your thoughts when you get it all setup.
 
Got them hooked up to my ST-70, playing Beck's Sea Change, and the initial impressions are very positive. These are the best speakers I've ever heard. So smooth and detailed. Even the wife said that it sounds like he's in the room! They aren't the best fit for my space, but they're only an inch or so wider than my Sony SS-3000's. I mean damn, they sound good. The bass is insane! Can't imagine what a couple hundred watts would do to them.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6949.JPG
    IMG_6949.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 69
Bet they sound better with cr-2040. Either PO new a thing or two about audio or had a knowledgable salesman. That is a killer setup and for many a one and done deal!!! Enjoy and get the yamaha into rotation for better sonics!!
 
The Yammy needs a little cleanup and testing before I'll trust it fully, but it'll get its turn. The original owner clearly cared a lot about this gear, as it's all in amazing condition, and taking to his wife, he was pretty particular. Glad I can keep it rockin'.
 
Back
Top Bottom