SaSi
Seriously Illogical
The inside of the enclosure, if it is a sealed one, behaves like a small room. It has it's own "room modes" with modal frequencies causing standing waves to the enclosed air.
This is handled by stuffing it with loose absorbing material. Some manufacturers place 1" thick acoustic foam to the inside of the enclosure panels.
Internal bracing increases the stiffness of the panels and is a good thing to have especially if you build a large enclosure and mount heavyweight woofers (>10~12").
You need to take the volume that the bracing occupies into account as it decreases the actual enclosure volume. On the other hand, stuffing causes a virtual enclosure volume increase effect, especially if the stuffing is denser than 30%
MDF and other dense materials are good for damping vibrations, but mass damping isn't the only way to go. I prefer the "clever" approach by using high quality plywood with bracing if needed.
I've made a pair of small satelite bookshelf speakers and they are about 12lt volume. I used two sheets of 0,75" (20mm) thick plywood pressed and glued together for a 40mm total thickness. No bracing here.
For larger enclosures (say 150lt) that I am considering building, I would also use plywood but this time 20mm thick with heavy bracing.
This is handled by stuffing it with loose absorbing material. Some manufacturers place 1" thick acoustic foam to the inside of the enclosure panels.
Internal bracing increases the stiffness of the panels and is a good thing to have especially if you build a large enclosure and mount heavyweight woofers (>10~12").
You need to take the volume that the bracing occupies into account as it decreases the actual enclosure volume. On the other hand, stuffing causes a virtual enclosure volume increase effect, especially if the stuffing is denser than 30%
MDF and other dense materials are good for damping vibrations, but mass damping isn't the only way to go. I prefer the "clever" approach by using high quality plywood with bracing if needed.
I've made a pair of small satelite bookshelf speakers and they are about 12lt volume. I used two sheets of 0,75" (20mm) thick plywood pressed and glued together for a 40mm total thickness. No bracing here.
For larger enclosures (say 150lt) that I am considering building, I would also use plywood but this time 20mm thick with heavy bracing.