• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus Pressure Gauge

Guest105

Super Member
Looking for opinions regarding the "Digital Stylus Force Scale Gauge Jr." offered by TurntableNeedles.com...or any other reasonably accurate, user-friendly gauge in the same general price range (this one is $28).

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah that one looks alright. I use a cheap digi scale i got off ebay for a similar price. Does the job and thats all you need.
 
That is the same gauge I have, and the price is pretty good for it too. What is nice is that the pad is at basically the same height as a record, so you can just set it on the platter. If the scale is too thick you have to remove the platter and start shimming the scale to get it to the correct height to get an accurate measurement. I can;t think of a different reason to buy any other one instead of that one. I say go for it.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Wah ! That scale Turntableneedles has, looks just like the one I have from DX, for double the price. Go figure .
 
I bought one from Harbor Freight that set me back a whole $11. It is identical in appearance and specs to one I see for sale on a well-regarded audio website for $69. I don't know what one gets for that extra $58 other than a fancy label and some ad writer hyperbole.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to bump an older post, but I was looking at that scale that someone listed from Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with it? Can it be set directly on the platter?
 
I have the amazon one. Removing platter mat makes the scale exactly record height. Accurate as I tested with calibration weight. It is a good deal.
 
I also have that same scale that is being sold on Amazon. After purchasing it I wondered why in the world I hadn't done it much sooner! Works great.
 
I use mine by setting it next to the platter and matching the record height with a block of Magic Eraser. I know not all tables have room for this though. And some automatic tables won't let you drop the arm if it's not over the LP.
 
Wah ! That scale Turntableneedles has, looks just like the one I have from DX, for double the price. Go figure .
It's still reasonable provided they sorted out the lemons and stand behind what they sell. I got mine from DX but the platform was canted upward enough to warrant caution when swinging the needle over it.

My biggest objection has to do with the warning that the platform is made of ferrous metal. Might be ok with MM carts but if the OP plans on getting an MC one day, this scale will be useless, and might even damage the cart if he tries to use it.
 
I use the cheap HF scale. Added a Z (really has two right angles) of thin aluminum plate to the end, stuck on with blu-tack and padded with a thin slice of foam for the stylus to rest on. It ends up at record level and isn't ferrous, so no magnetic attraction.

When the scale starts up it tares the plate so starts at zero. So I can use the scale for other things with the Z in place.

Putting the cart up on the platform shows no difference in weight. Weighing coins on the plate or the Z shows the same weight. It can tell the difference between individual nickels when selecting a reference pile for calibrating.
 
Back
Top Bottom