• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The best bookshelf speakers of the 70's

Early 70's: Small Advents or EPI 100's (first generation)
Mid 70's: ADS L500, Visonik David coupled with Goliath
Late 70's: Allison 4's, anything from the above...
 
Duffinator said:
Check out the ADS L710/810 speakers for great 70's vintage bookshelf speakers.

I guess the L810 could be called a bookshelf speaker. They called a lot of things bookshelf speakers. They were clearly not intended to sit on the floor without any help, so that makes them a bookshelf I suppose. They are outstanding speakers in any category you care to name.

I have no idea what the best is because I've only heard what I've heard. I have a pair of A25s and am a very big fan. One that I don't think has been mentioned yet that can actually fit on just about any bookshelf is the Boston A 40. These are giant killers in my opinion. I got mine for next to nothing at a thrift store. They're built poorly with drivers that don't look at all impressive, but when you listen to them, they just blow you away.

Foaming these things and seeing what's really going on inside before getting to hear them set me up for a real shock. They really show what some good design can accomplish without spending a ton of cash.

Take care,

Ed
 
Fast_Eddie said:
I guess the L810 could be called a bookshelf speaker. They called a lot of things bookshelf speakers. They were clearly not intended to sit on the floor without any help, so that makes them a bookshelf I suppose. They are outstanding speakers in any category you care to name.
Before I posted my comments I checked the brochure I have and ADS calls them bookshelf speakers so that was good enough for me. I actually have my 710's sitting on a shelf and am indeed using them as bookshelf speakers. :thmbsp:
 
JBL L110, very good small speaker. Very flat, good transient response and deep bass for that 2 cu ft cabinet.

Dan
 
I know they were selling Genesis 10's by the truckload while I was in college back in those days. Everyone had them.
 
3 pages and no mention of the AR-4x? They should have caught the beginning of the 70's. Dynaco A-25 and BA A40's are ery nice as are the EPI 100's.
 
I have tried KLH 20s (60s), EPI V and M 100s, (Neither are really book shelf...) Minimus 7's, Minimus 25s, and Bose 141's (90’s), and all were put away with a pair of AR 8B's from the early 80's. Sorry they aren’t all from the 70’s there weren’t a lot of actual book shelf speakers on the 70's
 
Back
Top Bottom