• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Great Jack Bruce Dies

So much great music! Love his solo albums, especially Songs For a Tailor and Harmony Row.
Cream, of course. Blind Faith, of course. Wish I could have seen him live. If he didn't get along with Mr Baker, even Ginger recognized the magic that happened when they played.
He did a lot of just unbelievable stuff....
As you can see from all the comments here, he will be missed, but his music will live on, and, no doubt, find new ears.

For all of you Budding Bass Players out there (and anyone else who might enjoy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ZcoqkQy8w
 
Last edited:
"Great" may even be an understatement in the context of Jack Bruce. Reviewing his career and the personnel w/ whom he performed, in studio and on stage, is daunting. Such a diverse array of musicians, spanning rock, blues, jazz, and progressive genres. This cat had chops and wrote some darned good numbers during his lifetime. All things considered, is/was there a Jack Bruce equal?
 
Very sad to hear of his going,Great musician.Lots of great memories associated with Jack & Company.RIP....
 
His voice and bass playing are part of my core music appreciation.

I remember playing Disraeli Gears on my friends Magnavox console in the 60's.
 
Last edited:
When the wagons leave the city
For the forest, and further on
Painted wagons of the morning
Dusty roads where they have gone
Sometimes traveling through the darkness
Met the summer coming home
Fallen faces by the wayside
Looked as if they might have known
Oh the sun was in their eyes
And the desert that dries
In the country towns
Where the laughter sounds

Oh the dancing and the singing
Oh the music when they played
Oh the fires that they started
Oh the girls with no regret
Sometimes they found it
Sometimes they kept it
Often lost it on the way
Fought each other to possess it
Sometimes died in sight of day
 
Listening to his work with Frank Zappa on the title track from "Apostrophe" right now. Sad that it takes his death to inspire me to explore more of his stuff beyond what he did with Cream. Someday I'll learn.
 
R.I.P Jack Bruce

Jack Bruce, lead vocalist and bass player of Cream, died at 71. Thank you Jack for your contributions to the music industry.
 
What a monster talent.a major inspiration for me to pick up the bass.complex playing , with a wounderful voice.i shall miss you dearly.
 
I remember looking at the cover of Disraeli Gears and thinking what an interesting and off the wall name for a rock album! Songs like "Tales of Brave Ulysses" ,"Sunshine of Your Love" and "White Room" (Wheels of fire) did not disappoint and stimulated my imagination, my minds eye.

It was at the beginning of those summers of love in SF.
We were all 'Slouching towards Bethlehem.' in a matter of speaking.
Jack Bruce the great songwriter and bassist for Cream, who defined Cream,
had such a rich as cream voice.
RIP dear friend.

"I'll wait in the queue when the trains come back;"
I'll always enjoy your wonderful music, even as I wait in the queue,
deep inside the London underground of my imagination.

Michael
 
I remember looking at the cover of Disraeli Gears and thinking what an interesting and off the wall name for a rock album! Songs like "Tales of Brave Ulysses" ,"Sunshine of Your Love" and "White Room" (Wheels of fire) did not disappoint and stimulated my imagination, my minds eye.

It was at the beginning of those summers of love in SF.
We were all 'Slouching towards Bethlehem.' in a matter of speaking.
Jack Bruce the great songwriter and bassist for Cream, who defined Cream,
had such a rich as cream voice.
RIP dear friend.

"I'll wait in the queue when the trains come back;"
I'll always enjoy your wonderful music, even as I wait in the queue,
deep inside the London underground of my imagination.

Michael

I burnt many a dube listening to "Dance the Night Away" and looking at the "skies outside my window". Jack Bruce was the soul of the Cream. RIP.
 
When the wagons leave the city
For the forest, and further on
Painted wagons of the morning
Dusty roads where they have gone
Sometimes traveling through the darkness
Met the summer coming home
Fallen faces by the wayside
Looked as if they might have known
Oh the sun was in their eyes
And the desert that dries
In the country towns
Where the laughter sounds

Oh the dancing and the singing
Oh the music when they played
Oh the fires that they started
Oh the girls with no regret
Sometimes they found it
Sometimes they kept it
Often lost it on the way
Fought each other to possess it
Sometimes died in sight of day

Wow, Olson, thank you for that. Though the Theme From an Imaginary Western is STILL one of my favorite songs, I never knew that Jack Bruce wrote it. I loved Jack Bruce, and I saw Mountain perform that song (the original band complement), but I did not make the connection.
 
R.I.P Jack. I feel bad that I can't honour your passing by playing anything better than a beat up copy of "The Best of Cream". I promise to make amends in the next 12 months.
 
Back
Top Bottom