• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "I Missed It by THAT MUCH" thread

I had been watching an auction for a pair of JBL 120Ti's the past week and in the last few minutes they still seemed to be within my range. I was apprehensive about the wording "seller refurbished" and the statement that "it was my uncles"...I mean this is like the 5th ad I have seen this month in which it is "my uncles" gear. Maybe just me being paranoid I dunno. Anyway...as T minus reached 15 seconds I thought hell with it and went to bid...at the same time my mouse battery crapped out! Final price popped up for less than I was going to bid..and I know the automatic bids could have beat mine but still. Then again..maybe my paranoia was right and my battery crapping out was an omen.
 
A perfectly good working Marantz 8B tube amp. I was about 5 minutes too late. I was there to pick up some speakers. And he told me about the amp he just sold for under $100. :(
 
2 pairs of JBL 4333 for $300.....

3ITDvFk.png
 
On a lark I looked at what was selling on a neighborhood watch/event/neighborly advise/sell stuff site and missed someone giving away DQ-10's by literally a few hours.
 
When I was getting back into analogue and 2 channel about 4 years ago I was at an estate sale and picked up a turntable on a great deal, and looked at the speakers that were fairly large but still on a shelf and thought I recalled that back in the dayTannoy was a pretty good name... They model was "Darking" and I didn't find the model in a google search... then my spouse called me over about a Danish teak crezenda that we got a nice deal on ... the speakers were still available.... I wandered around a bit, then thought I should check on them again and 1 guy was tire kicking when I got back to them... until I asked the price - $40 and he jumped on them for that. I found out later the model number is SL35 - that's an ouch.
 
I was recently at a local flea market. One of the vendors there had all kinds of cool old audio stuff. We had a good talk about vintage audio and mid century modern design, and he started telling me about a pair of KLH speakers he just sold for $100 that were on these "cool 1960 stands". Arghh! The only thing these could have been from his description was a pair of KLH Model 28s with original stands.:yikes:
 
One that I still think about isn't so much about high end & but interest. 3 years ago a gentleman in his 90s was moving out to a home for physical reasons,but he was sharp as a tack. He worked for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in the 60s and had a pair of big cabinets with dingle drives in them that were constructed by the CBC's in house carpenter back then. They were plywood but perfectly constructed, real craftsmanship. He told me they were Phillips speakers in them but we were moving at that time, and I just could not take those big boys. I got a lot of great stuff on the Friday and had a great talk with him. We went back to help clean up and with the sale on Friday as only one person was there and there was tonnage and to much personal stuff mixed in that had to be pulled out. No regrets but that is a set I would have liked to check out.
 
Yard sale, myself and another guy spot a white Tivoli radio at the same time, he has half a step on me and reached out just as I was going for it. Sold for $20 Canadian. A true,missed it "by that much".
 
I just missed a Marantz 2285B that was listed for $50 by a few minutes... Luckily the guy was nice and had a set of technics SB-6000A's that he wanted to get rid of, offered him $100 for them since I may flip them and didn't want to rip him off too badly.
 
Here's one i forgot, a pair of Tannoy Little Reds at a cash convertors for £150 about 8 years ago, a month later a pair turned up on ebay and sold for over £800, I was new to audio at the time and didn't have a clue.
 
Here's one i forgot, a pair of Tannoy Little Reds at a cash convertors for £150 about 8 years ago, a month later a pair turned up on ebay and sold for over £800, I was new to audio at the time and didn't have a clue.
Very similar to my Tannoy SL35 for $40 that I hemmed and hawed a bit and missed out on - I was just getting back into it after many years and did not know what I know now!
 
Early nineties: A budding musical amplifier tech friend showed up one afternoon with a real 59 gold top Les Paul, all original, and with lovely DNA mild wear, from being lovingly played for all those prior years, with original case for a $1,000. cash !!! :bowdown:

I had the cash on hand, (and the outlay would not have been an financial burden on me) , but for some unexplainable reason, I decided because of ignorance, of the soon to be exploding valuable vintage guitar market, "super stupidly" turned it down !! :oops: , :crazy::whip::whip::whip: = :mad:

Though, now that I reflect back, I think I was suspicious that my still in the low pay Navy, "wheeler dealer buddy", was marking it up to make some quick & easy profit off me, since he was aware of my steady good financial situation !! :idea:
Oh well... :(
 
Back
Top Bottom