• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "I Missed It by THAT MUCH" thread

Early nineties: A budding musical amplifier tech friend showed up one afternoon with a real 59 gold top Les Paul, all original, and with lovely DNA mild wear, from being lovingly played for all those prior years, with original case for a $1,000. cash !!! :bowdown:

I had the cash on hand, (and the outlay would not have been an financial burden on me) , but for some unexplainable reason, I decided because of ignorance, of the soon to be exploding valuable vintage guitar market, "super stupidly" turned it down !! :oops: , :crazy::whip::whip::whip: = :mad:

Though, now that I reflect back, I think I was suspicious that my still in the low pay Navy, "wheeler dealer buddy", was marking it up to make some quick & easy profit off me, since he was aware of my steady good financial situation !! :idea:
Oh well... :(


Out of curiosity what is that worth now? Seems like stories of early strats and les pauls being dirt cheap are very common so I guess nobody had a clue they would skyrocket, same as the muscle cars i suppose
 
Without serial #, pics (or any real knowledge/ experience on my part) i'd estimate 15-25k.

I believe that in '59 a goldtop would have been factory special-order only.

There are very convincing fakes out there; pre-worn guitars are are also thing.
 
Out of curiosity what is that worth now? Seems like stories of early strats and les pauls being dirt cheap are very common so I guess nobody had a clue they would skyrocket, same as the muscle cars i suppose

I really don`t know what that guitar would be worth today, if I had purchased it !
Maybe $20,000., 30,000., or more ?? :dunno:

While I own a bunch of vintage guitars, and tube amps that I`ve collected over the years, I don`t actively seek them out to collect, or research info. about them. :rolleyes:

All the vintage instruments/tube amplifiers in my collection were offered to me by their owners, at very attractive prices over the past 30 years, and not one single item has been resold, or traded. :thumbsup:

Once it hit`s the collection, it stays in the collection, no matter how much begging, or monies offered. :no:

I have them appraised every so many years for my insurance company, and if I owned that guitar, I could tell you it`s approximate current value, Dazaa.

A/K`s Mystic, is probably more familiar with these vintage guitars, and value. :bowdown:

And yes, I wish I had the early years foresight of their eventual exploding value ! :idea:
 
Not really an "I missed it" as much as "I passed, but did I screw up?" At an estate sale a few weeks ago and they had a Shure V15 type v in the box. It appeared that they took it off of a table they were selling separately. They were asking $45, but not knowing condition or how many hours it had on it, I passed. It's been haunting me a little ever since. Did I screw up? At least I came home with the accompanying test record.
 
Not really an "I missed it" as much as "I passed, but did I screw up?" At an estate sale a few weeks ago and they had a Shure V15 type v in the box. It appeared that they took it off of a table they were selling separately. They were asking $45, but not knowing condition or how many hours it had on it, I passed. It's been haunting me a little ever since. Did I screw up? At least I came home with the accompanying test record.

I'm thinking that was a mistake.
 
Not really an "I missed it" as much as "I passed, but did I screw up?" At an estate sale a few weeks ago and they had a Shure V15 type v in the box. It appeared that they took it off of a table they were selling separately. They were asking $45, but not knowing condition or how many hours it had on it, I passed. It's been haunting me a little ever since. Did I screw up? At least I came home with the accompanying test record.

In retrospect, it would have been a good pickup. This one just closed for $87, without a stylus or box. Not a massive I missed it where it was hundreds or thousands.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shure-V15-Type-III-stereo-phono-Cartridge-NO-RESERVE-/223791716389?hash=item341b069825:g:6HIAAOSwG5td8adm&LH_ItemCondition=3000&nma=true&si=xX6MACYpTJIOVINaGJq0sBwxSCc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
 
Just missed out on a Marantz 2130 and a Jbl Corner speaker earlier today at an estate sale. I was the first one to take a look, when some asshat, pretending to be an employee of the estate sale company, told me that both were not for sale. Of course, as soon as I walk off, he calls the owner of the company over, and starts making offers for both! :mad:. Guess thats what I get for being courteous. I think he paid $200 for both as well.
 
Just missed out on a Marantz 2130 and a Jbl Corner speaker earlier today at an estate sale. I was the first one to take a look, when some asshat, pretending to be an employee of the estate sale company, told me that both were not for sale. Of course, as soon as I walk off, he calls the owner of the company over, and starts making offers for both! :mad:. Guess thats what I get for being courteous. I think he paid $200 for both as well.
Holy crapppppp!
Wow I might have come unglued...

I will be Remembering this story of your experience forever..
 
I’ve encountered similarly dubious practices before too at estate sales. In this case, I would have told the estate sale team what he did and, at a minimum, relay my max offer for it.

Many years ago, I went to a tag sale. This means the estate sale company put tags with prices on each item. By ripping off the bottom half at the perforated edge, you became the committed buyer. Just after I did so on a set of Tannoy speakers, an estate sale employee behind me says some guy just bought them. I ask how since I have the tags? She states he just came straight to the checkout table and bought them. So, I speak a little louder so others in the room take notice and say then that means I can buy anything else even if the tags are taken? Some of the other buyers start chiming in that wasn’t right (they had just relayed the rules a few min earlier), so the employee backs down, confirms I have the right to buy them. I pick one of the speakers up and check out immediately. As I walk to the checkout, the estate manager is now talking with the guy, she gives me an affirming nod and I quickly pay.
 
Just missed out on a Marantz 2130 and a Jbl Corner speaker earlier today at an estate sale. I was the first one to take a look, when some asshat, pretending to be an employee of the estate sale company, told me that both were not for sale. Of course, as soon as I walk off, he calls the owner of the company over, and starts making offers for both! :mad:. Guess thats what I get for being courteous. I think he paid $200 for both as well.

If you ever have the experience, definitely cut in and tell the estate company if you can. The guys I know that run sales would NOT be impressed about mis-representation and may even ban someone like that from future sales.

Last summer we lined up to be 1 and 2 at a sale, and a furniture dealer who was about #8 walks in the door and starts calling out the pieces he is buying and the estate person tells me that a piece we were looking at is "sold". Holy Cr*p my wife rounded on her with laser eyes and pretty loudly says "we were #1 and #2, we just got here, etc." She backed right down and we got a chance to check it out. The majority of sales do not have crud like that but it happens.

Overall folks respect the etiquette though.
 
Someone listed a pair of Infinity Modulus on eBay as Infinite speakers, due to obligations I missed the sale ending at $105. I already have a pair i purchsed new in 1991 so not without these awesome speaks, but sure would have liked another pair for so cheap eh?
 
Oh man. That kind of shady move wouldn’t stand at sales around here. The companies are good about honoring 1-2 in line and the regulars wouldn’t allow for it either. And, Some guy just claiming that stuff isn’t for sale? I don’t think so. Next time that happens Shrugg, you need to not so politely tell him to get f’d.
 
Yeah, I wish I could have done that. Unfortunately, said asshat waited until I had left the room to call the seller over, and by the time I got back, he was paying for both, so not much I could do there. Will make sure to send him my regards if he tries to pull the same trick on me again.
 
Yeah, I wish I could have done that. Unfortunately, said asshat waited until I had left the room to call the seller over, and by the time I got back, he was paying for both, so not much I could do there. Will make sure to send him my regards if he tries to pull the same trick on me again.

Yeah, slimeballs are sneaky like that. I hate that crap, it makes it a crappy day.
 
Yeah, I wish I could have done that. Unfortunately, said asshat waited until I had left the room to call the seller over, and by the time I got back, he was paying for both, so not much I could do there. Will make sure to send him my regards if he tries to pull the same trick on me again.

this is the lowest sorry trick I’ve heard of at an estate sale. I wish you luck with swift revenge!
 
So, what happened?
source.gif
 
Back
Top Bottom