• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The LP is back (officially)

Right. I love fine analog in several formats (LP and tapes). But I'm always amused and/or dismayed at people who reject some gorgeously-recorded LPs just because digital technology was used somewhere along the production chain.

What matters is the final product. I listened

See. There is the difference. You listened. People who don't know how to listen have to rely on formulas or labels.
 
Doug, this is a discussion forum. If contrary positions are not allowed, why don't we just outfit everyone in cheerleader outfits, so you don't have to call anyone a dickheax?

I own a bunch of turntables, and albums. I don't wear blinders, tho.

I wasn't referring to you, Dave. I was referring to a certain post that actually made fun of vinyl lovers and the writer really was being a DH.

Doug
 
I've said it once and I'll say it again...not everyone likes this cheap downloading,no pride hi-fi era...vinyl will save the day :D :banana:
 
I think iTunes downloads had their drawback but at least you owned a song file to do with as you pleased. This next generation of Muzak delivery where everything is stored on cloud servers and streamed on demand to the end users via the cloud, pandora, iheart, etc, is the absolute devil. Revenue is no longer really made for the artist from selling the music, it is made by selling the bandwidth, cell phones, data plans, subscription fees. It's a jack! It could not have any less to do with the music it is whoring. It almost makes me cry for the return of the major record label days. Almost.
 
Last edited:
Meh. There is enough cheap music on thrift store LPs to keep every one of us happy for three lifetimes. In fact there are CDs out there now for a buck just like vinyl. I recently found a Dave Grusin "discovered again" Sheffield CD for a buck! Keep your downloads I'm too busy. Lol

And new vinyl sounds great on my modest system. It's not going anywhere.


Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
 
Last edited:
I think those that belittle the current increase in vinyl sales in relation to historical sales figures have a myopic and prejudiced view on the subject. They are missing the point, whether or not we like vinyl we should all be rejoicing its resurgence because it is good for the hobby we all love.

This is pretty much all that needs to be said on the subject. Thanks for saying it :yes:
 
I think it's entirely possible that vinyl could be the last physical medium that music will be available on. The tactile experience as well as the high resolution graphics could continue to make it a collectable item for people willing to pay a premium price.
 
Well, I'm in favor of anything that will help support the ancillary industries so they keep me in carts, styli and even turntables.

As for the format wars, I just bought a bunch (65) of thrift store LP's. I also just bought a Sansa Clip to carry around songs I download from Rhapsody. I listen to CDs at work as well. Last night I listened to "Layla" and organ music played on the Notre Dame organ on multi-channel SACD's. It's all good.

One of the records I bought was "The Buddy Holly Story". It's a first pressing and I wish it was in better shape. Still, there's something about listening to the music of Buddy Holly coming from a 50+ year old record. It's also fun to listen to it on equipment able to render some plosives that the original engineers probably didn't hear.

Sometimes musical enjoyment encompasses more than just technical superiority of the medium.
 
I think iTunes downloads had their drawback but at least you owned a song file to do with as you pleased...
Well, no, I don't think that you did own a song file -- check the EULA (end user license agreement). I am pretty sure that you had a license to use it in certain ways (and not in other ways).

I think it's entirely possible that vinyl could be the last physical medium that music will be available on. The tactile experience as well as the high resolution graphics could continue to make it a collectable item for people willing to pay a premium price.

I also reckon that this is probably going to be the case... although there is still a modicum of hope for tape...
www.tapeproject.com

finishedtape2vidres.jpg
 
Last edited:
The New York Times weighs-in with more numbers, including this:

"Among physical formats, CD sales continue to plunge while vinyl records grow into a surprisingly robust niche. Sales of albums on CD fell 19 percent by revenue to $716 million, while LP sales grew 43 percent to $146 million. A decade ago, LP sales were barely significant. But with vinyl now firmly established as a premium-priced collector’s item and an audiophile favorite, they represent about 4.6 percent of the total."

So should we be excited about less than 5% of the total market? I say "Yes." It may be a niche, but it's the coolest niche of all...

http://www.spin.com/articles/record-industry-vinyl-sales-up/?utm_source=spintwitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spintwitter
 
The New York Times weighs-in with more numbers, including this:

"Among physical formats, CD sales continue to plunge while vinyl records grow into a surprisingly robust niche. Sales of albums on CD fell 19 percent by revenue to $716 million, while LP sales grew 43 percent to $146 million. A decade ago, LP sales were barely significant. But with vinyl now firmly established as a premium-priced collector’s item and an audiophile favorite, they represent about 4.6 percent of the total."

So should we be excited about less than 5% of the total market? I say "Yes." It may be a niche, but it's the coolest niche of all...

http://www.spin.com/articles/record-industry-vinyl-sales-up/?utm_source=spintwitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spintwitter
See the OP story was from the first of the year and stats from 2013. So in 9 months record sales have grown 2.6% over last years share of the market. More than doubling from 2.0% to the current 4.6% and the year is not over yet!!

Any!! Any market that doubles in less than a year people notice and would love to be invested in.
 
This thread really temps me to create a sister thread called: "The Tube is back!"

Unfortunately I'd have to make-up the pretty graph... :D
 
Last edited:
I for one enjoy vinyl and am trying to do my part to increase awareness and sales.
Vinyl.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom