• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The LP is back (officially)

Last I'd heard there was no such thing as as release compound. Do you know differently?

I've done a bit of PVC casting (not LP's) in the past and silicone release spray was necessary. I've always been told that it was used in LP pressing as well. The disks in question look like they were torn from the press in a hundred sharp, short jerks, each one leaving its mark.
 
I try not to respond to questions asked in that tone.

You quoted me and gave a running list of your gear.

No tone was pressent as in stating "just asking"

I don't know why your felt the need to post a running list of your gear.
 
I've done a bit of PVC casting (not LP's) in the past and silicone release spray was necessary. I've always been told that it was used in LP pressing as well. The disks in question look like they were torn from the press in a hundred sharp, short jerks, each one leaving its mark.
I have seen this look on to numerous to count old disc along with many many other manufacturing defects.
 
As much as I love the vinyl experience...I still enjoy CDs & cassettes...because it takes too damn many quarters on the headshell to keep the Technics trackin' in the car:D
 
there's a group of young guys here in Dallas opening a 15,000 sq ft all vinyl record store -- Josey Records http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/09/josey_records_coming_soon_preview.php

that's as big as the old Peaches and Sound Warehouse locations

That's good and it looks like it's local to you. It appears to be about the same size as my favorite local store and he does great business. He keeps his prices down and sell a huge volume and his store is on a good shopping street. He has been there since 1985 and is a hands on owner.

That kind of store really is the perfect size as the owners can be hands on. I have stores around me like Amoeba Records to the small hole in the wall. When they are really small it seems like the prices are higher and less selection. A place like Amoeba on a high rent street and a huge store their prices go higher as well. Plus the fact that price grading is all over the map because the need of employees but they do have a large selection.

As with any market growth new businesses will get involved from production to distribution and sales. Glad to hear you have a new store to support locally.
 
Hmm, I was watching the FOX Sunday morning news show and they had a Bluegrass style gospel band on that had just released a new LP. The news gal was holding the LP while interviewing the band leader, and it was like no big deal. I would have thought they would have made a comment or two about it being vinyl, but they acted like it was just the normal thing? :scratch2:

Ray Crowder, "Neon Steeple" http://www.ccmusic.com/music/vinyl/2769792/crowder-neon-steeple

Apparently production can't meet demand?
 
Last edited:
For us old farts there's just something about playing a vinyl record. I do like the sound but there's more to it than that. It's a comforting ritual as well.
 
2 of the top 10 selling albums of 2014 were classic rock. e.g. The Beatles and Bob Marley. The rest were today's artists. That speaks volumes about the age group buying most of today records today. It it one of the many fads that come and go these days? Time will tell.....
 
2 of the top 10 selling albums of 2014 were classic rock. e.g. The Beatles and Bob Marley. The rest were today's artists. That speaks volumes about the age group buying most of today records today. It it one of the many fads that come and go these days? Time will tell.....
Although I listen to many different types of music, jazz is my favorite. I still can find many new titles and a lot of reissues on vinyl - along with used. And, I continue to buy jazz CD's, both used and new. I don't get too worked up about it. Like I said previously, I like the ritual of playing an LP along with the sound.
 
For us old farts there's just something about playing a vinyl record. I do like the sound but there's more to it than that. It's a comforting ritual as well.

Comforting, but always annoying when you have to break the trance and get up to flip it halfway through the album.
 
Comforting, but always annoying when you have to break the trance and get up to flip it halfway through the album.

C'mon man! You need the exercise anyway.:D

I never knew that vinyl went away. There was a time when it was hard to find but it's not that way now.:smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom