• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The Spendor Thread..

What about Spendor with McIntosh? I'm thinking of pairing a Classic SP100R2 to a MC402 solid state amp that is 400wpc. What should I expect from this combination?
 
What about Spendor with McIntosh? I'm thinking of pairing a Classic SP100R2 to a MC402 solid state amp that is 400wpc. What should I expect from this combination?

My Spendor A6's have been used with two amps so far and while i prefer my current M6i Musical Fidelity they sound excellent with a Parasound power and pre combination. McIntosh should drive them very, very nicely. I've used a Parasound amp at 125 wpc and my current Musical Fidelity at 200 wpc. I'm sure you'll get some additional feedback from a lot of Spendor fans here.
The M6i with higher wattage and current capability has contributed to effortless bass control and apparent response.
The Musical Fidelity sounds better to my ear but there are others running tubes that are VERY happy.
 
Last edited:
They're tube friendly speakers too.
The A9s are 90db speakers. The SP1/2s are 84.
The SP1/5s I'm not sure, but an 8 watt 300B SET amp was plenty for them.
Powered subs are used on all systems. Full bandwidth to the speakers and I'm counting on the natural rolloff of the speakers as the frequencies approach the free-air resonance of the lowest frequency drivers. Then I supplement with a sub.
For the A9s, I cross into the sub at about 50 and it's very low in amplitude.
 
Last edited:
Not heard of splendor before, went on their website and found these. :drool:


The ST. Yummy... They don't even have to sound any good with looks like that. :)

st_src_1.jpg
 
Here are my Spendor SA1's in Satin Wenge, in the background Atacama stands with Proac Tablette Anniversary on top.

3G8A1922.jpg


3G8A1914.jpg


Proac's in Tiger Ebony and below Spendor SA1.

3G8A1929.jpg


Looking back we see Proac, Spendor and Epos (ES-12) speakers awaiting rotation.

3G8A2012-1.jpg


One of the acoustic panels in my room.

3G8A1993.jpg


Harbeth HL-P3 ESR in Rosewood on top of Spendor stands.

3G8A1934-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Spectre,
So, you rotate speakers in and out?
Is that to try different speakers with the same electronics or the presentation of different upstream gear on the different speakers for synergistic matching?
 
Very impressive group of British "heavyweights". I love the Spendor Satin Wenge. Enjoy your Spendors. :music::thmbsp:
 
Spectre,
So, you rotate speakers in and out?
Is that to try different speakers with the same electronics or the presentation of different upstream gear on the different speakers for synergistic matching?

Its the former really, I like changing out the speakers every couple of weeks in order to enjoy slightly different presentation of the music I listen to. It kind of keeps the electronics sounding fresh and has me going through my collections of LP's and CD's. Each speaker here has something outstanding to recommend it but they also have their weaknesses too, and its amazing the differences you hear on the designers emphasis and compromise.
 
Last edited:
Its the former really, I like changing out the speakers every couple of weeks in order to enjoy slightly different presentation of the music I listen to. It kind of keeps the electronics sounding fresh and has me going through my collections of LP's and CD's. Each speaker here has something outstanding to recommend it but they also have their weaknesses too, and its amazing the differences you hear on the designers emphasis and compromise.

Very nice!
 
So, no "one voice to rule them all and in the darkness blind them," huh?
Good for you. Works for me too. I'm not as good at it as you though, from what I can gauge. At least all the pairs in your speaker cache for rotation are all small, at least in the photo.
I agree on the trade-off issue in designs of even similar speakers.
It sometimes seems the art is in balancing the trade-offs. For us, as consumers, its deciding what trade-offs we can live with.
 
At least all the pairs in your speaker cache for rotation are all small, at least in the photo.

The (vintage?) Epos are the biggest speakers I currently own but fortunately the room has a very sympathetic acoustic and careful positioning helps fool you with the missing bass of these small speakers.
 
So, no "one voice to rule them all and in the darkness blind them," huh?
Good for you. Works for me too. I'm not as good at it as you though, from what I can gauge. At least all the pairs in your speaker cache for rotation are all small, at least in the photo.
I agree on the trade-off issue in designs of even similar speakers.
It sometimes seems the art is in balancing the trade-offs. For us, as consumers, its deciding what trade-offs we can live with.

What I've found about myself in auditioning many speakers over many years, I prefer two-way speakers and am willing to live without the lowest octave of reproduction in return for what I find a more pleasing rendition of the rest, to my ear at least.
My A6's factory specs say they are -6dB down at 43Hz in a typical room. I've got them a little closer to the wall than recommended so it gives a little bass reinforcement but the speed, timbre and imaging I find just spectacular.
The Spendors are the most expensive speaker I have ever owned but also the most gratifying. Had I spent more I'm not sure I could have justified it to myself (or my wife who supported me on the purchase).
Since this a Spendor thread I'm just generally gushing over what I find to be an amazing loudspeaker and a company that has quite a following of people who describe a similar experience and feelings when they listen.
Now back to Monty Alexander - Uplift:music:
 
What I've found about myself in auditioning many speakers over many years, I prefer two-way speakers and am willing to live without the lowest octave of reproduction in return for what I find a more pleasing rendition of the rest, to my ear at least.
My A6's factory specs say they are -6dB down at 43Hz in a typical room. I've got them a little closer to the wall than recommended so it gives a little bass reinforcement but the speed, timbre and imaging I find just spectacular.
The Spendors are the most expensive speaker I have ever owned but also the most gratifying. Had I spent more I'm not sure I could have justified it to myself (or my wife who supported me on the purchase).
Since this a Spendor thread I'm just generally gushing over what I find to be an amazing loudspeaker and a company that has quite a following of people who describe a similar experience and feelings when they listen.
Now back to Monty Alexander - Uplift:music:

Excellent post and album...Monty that is! Try Uplift 2, not quite as gratifying as Uplift but very good.
 
Thanks for the tip on Uplift 2. I'll order it tonight. I kept wondering if I'd be disappointed but so far nothing by Alexander has completely disappointed. Maybe a song I didn't like but I find the sonic quality of all of his albums to be excellent.
 
Thought on the Spendor BC1’s.

I was in school and could not afford or had room for the Quad ESL’s the BC1 was the next best thing (it is funny I never heard the Yamaha NS1000 at that time).

With my Rega Planer 3 and various electronics I was ‘dancing in heaven’

The BC1 had a very ‘tube sound’ without even having to use tubes. NPR was just coming into it’s own and everyone had a velvet sheen to their voices. Of course they were colored but colored with richness. I used lots of amplification with them HK430/730, Quad 34/405, Superphon and they all sounded good.

We would always go down to Tower Records on Friday night. Over the years I bought so many of the Norman Garnz Verve records, while my friends were buying ’new wave’ rock music. I turned so many people on to Ella with my BC1’s. I can still fondly remember Nell Carter singing in ‘Ain’t Misbehaving’. Damn I miss her and my BC1’s

Michael
 
Had I spent more I'm not sure I could have justified it to myself (or my wife who supported me on the purchase).
Since this a Spendor thread I'm just generally gushing over what I find to be an amazing loudspeaker and a company that has quite a following of people who describe a similar experience and feelings when they listen.
Now back to Monty Alexander - Uplift:music:

I almost went for a pair of A6's myself and in retrospect would probably have been a very satisfying speaker, my one complaint about the SA1 is the light weight bass even in comparison to the other mini monitors I own. What bass there is however is fast and very well defined, and in this respect its clearly superior to the ported designs I have, would still like to hear the A6 though.
 
I know this is a Spendor thread, but I have a line on a pair of Stirling Broadcast LS3/6's, and I know they have similarities to the BC1 and other Spendor/Harbeth models. It has been a long time since I have heard the BC's though, but from my crusty memory, I enjoyed what I heard then a lot on the end of older Naim gear. So thinking about this one, have some time so they are not going anywhere soon fortunately, but need to make sure my Naim Uniti will drive them with no problems. By the way, a nice write up of the Stirlings in a recent Absolute Sound for whatever that is worth......Tim
 
Excellent post and album...Monty that is! Try Uplift 2, not quite as gratifying as Uplift but very good.

Art, my Uplift 2 arrived today and I'm listening to the last cut now.. Your analysis is spot on. First two or three songs were OK, but back half of the album has gotten better and better. Multiple listenings anticipated.:thmbsp::music:
 
Back
Top Bottom