• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens owners group

Thorens TD160B II Dampening material and template for cutting ?

Hello all

I,m not really convinced of the benefits of the dampening mods on the TD160 but have some spare time and willing to try it.

Has anyone (ideally from the UK) found a source for the dampening material in the UK ?

Also is anyone aware of a template for cutting out this dampening material

Thanks all

Graham
 
TD 160 Super

I have given my TD 160 Super a good polish. The wooden part around the edge needs restoring but am happy with the result. It has had blotchy bits in the metal since I bought it, its good to see an improvement.
 

Attachments

  • 101_1280.JPG
    101_1280.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 101_1281.JPG
    101_1281.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 101_1282.JPG
    101_1282.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 157
  • 101_1284.JPG
    101_1284.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 143
  • 101_1287.JPG
    101_1287.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 101_1288.JPG
    101_1288.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 143
Just bought a new headshell for a TD-150mkII with a 13a 'kugel' tonearm. Any recommendations on a cartridge that I should put in the headshell that sounds good on the tt? The other headshell I have has a Grado GF3 and there is the slightest hum between tracks so I am going to stay away from Grado. I've read quite a bit about the Shure 97xe sounding good and with a jico sas stylus being even better. I am trying to stay around $200. Any suggestions?
 
I have given my TD 160 Super a good polish. The wooden part around the edge needs restoring but am happy with the result. It has had blotchy bits in the metal since I bought it, its good to see an improvement.

That looks Awesome Derek. :thmbsp:
 
That looks Awesome Derek. :thmbsp:

Thank you =) I used Polyglaze Car Polish, the type they specify for "older" cars with fading paint. I was concerned that it would take the Thorens logo off but it didnt. I tested it first on an area underneath the platter. I then finished it off with Mr Sheen cleaner. Might do another round of it in the future. It took 6 hours to get this result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_9BnTik2rc&list=UUYcS06faN2o3a6fgS5vgCIQ&index=1
 
Last edited:
Here's another 160 Super I just finished. I did this one in flat black. Awaits a TA. :banana:
 
Last edited:
:drool: They really are a lovely unit. I have played mine constantly for 10 years. I'd like to oil the bearing but I cant get the centre piece out.
 
Theres a clip that holds the center platter on. You have to unscrew from inside. You have to take the bottom plate off.
 
I dont feel confident in doing this, I am concerned I will damage the arm. I will speak to my friend who has worked with these and get some assistance. The thing that confuses me is that the centre piece my TD 165 pulls straight out, I thought the TD 160 super would be the same. It lifts up a fair way but that clip must be stopping it from coming right out. It still spins freely.
 
Thorens did it for shipping i believe. That way the oil wouldn't come out. When I service mine I leave it off.
 
Alright folks! Longtime lurker and a new member here. So be nice please!

Just purchased a Thorens TD 160 MK1 today. Have spent the majority of the day with setting things up with the turntable. Everything seems to be working nice and without problems. But the headshell/cartridge is my concern here. There is a picture below which clearly shows how the cart/headshell is leaning too heavily towards spindle. So my first question is, how can I fix this? I have checked the manual but did not find info there. Perhaps I should check The Analog Debt and few other sites next. But as a lazy sod, I'll try my luck here.

I know there's lot of Thorens' fans here in this wonderful forum, so I'd be grateful to get some help to get started with this deck. I haven't had a Thorens before, so therefore I am new to lots of things with this well known TT.

Thanks and greetings from Finland!
 

Attachments

  • kuva(2).jpg
    kuva(2).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 175
Alright folks! Longtime lurker and a new member here. So be nice please!

Just purchased a Thorens TD 160 MK1 today. Have spent the majority of the day with setting things up with the turntable. Everything seems to be working nice and without problems. But the headshell/cartridge is my concern here. There is a picture below which clearly shows how the cart/headshell is leaning too heavily towards spindle. So my first question is, how can I fix this? I have checked the manual but did not find info there. Perhaps I should check The Analog Debt and few other sites next. But as a lazy sod, I'll try my luck here.

I know there's lot of Thorens' fans here in this wonderful forum, so I'd be grateful to get some help to get started with this deck. I haven't had a Thorens before, so therefore I am new to lots of things with this well known TT.

Thanks and greetings from Finland!

Hi Daytripper and Welcome to AK, and the Thorens Owners group.

The leaning is because the headshell has twisted/rotated on the arm's long axis. This is usually because of the attachment of the headshell to its connector which then is locked onto the end of the aluminum arm tube. IME, you can grasp the arm tube, and gently rotate the headshell back to level with the stylus pointed vertically (or perpendicular) to the record. Be very careful not to damage the stylus while working around it.

Once in a great while, the problem is the attachment of the arm tube to the bearing gimbal instead. If that is the case, I believe you can still twist the entire arm tube/headshell assembly, but it may be loose and need to be affixed (glued?) in place, or possibly will stay in place from friction.

Others may need to confirm or chime in with their experience before you do anything. But for sure, your cartridge is not meant to be oriented at an angle like that, and should not be used for playing records because the stylus force will be very much directed at one side of the groove and could result in excessive wear or damage to the record, and possibly the stylus itself.
 
As mech986 said, you should just be able to *gently* twist it to where it needs to be; when i got my 160 from the seller, mine looked just like that... i use a very small level to level it up, and also place a mirror under the cart and make it sure it is sitting level (by checking the reflection so that it's not sitting at an angle); also not sure if you've done this yet, but also use an alignment protractor to make sure your cart is properly aligned (i use the stevenson i printed off the internet and that works for me really well, but others may like others)... good luck!


Hi Daytripper and Welcome to AK, and the Thorens Owners group.

The leaning is because the headshell has twisted/rotated on the arm's long axis. This is usually because of the attachment of the headshell to its connector which then is locked onto the end of the aluminum arm tube. IME, you can grasp the arm tube, and gently rotate the headshell back to level with the stylus pointed vertically (or perpendicular) to the record. Be very careful not to damage the stylus while working around it.

Once in a great while, the problem is the attachment of the arm tube to the bearing gimbal instead. If that is the case, I believe you can still twist the entire arm tube/headshell assembly, but it may be loose and need to be affixed (glued?) in place, or possibly will stay in place from friction.

Others may need to confirm or chime in with their experience before you do anything. But for sure, your cartridge is not meant to be oriented at an angle like that, and should not be used for playing records because the stylus force will be very much directed at one side of the groove and could result in excessive wear or damage to the record, and possibly the stylus itself.
 
Hi bob06,

How did you get that flat black? Did you just spray it?

Absolutely beautiful table! What TA are you thinking of?


Here's another 160 Super I just finished. I did this one in flat black. Awaits a TA. :banana:
 
Hi bob06,

How did you get that flat black? Did you just spray it?

Absolutely beautiful table! What TA are you thinking of?

Yes, Ultra Flat Black. Not sure on the TA as of yet. I have a couple of extra TA boards. REGA and SME.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom