• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD 105

Spellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline
I'm following a Thorens TD 105 on eBay as well as keeping an eye on one at an electronics thrift in my area. Was wondering if anyone has experience with this model. Opinions?
 
Register to hide this ad
The TD104/105 (manual/auto-return version) was Thorens' new entry-level model introduced back in the late 70s. However, in fact it was quite a bit better than just entry-level - and, especially compared to all the TD16x/14x variants, its design also was a good bit more modern or up-to-date from a technical perspective. The only things I'd really criticise were the phono cable with rather high capacity as well as the 500 series Stanton cart Thorens switched to later on, which didn't fit so well to the pretty light arm and the comparatively high cable capacity (the Ortofon they used before actually had been the better match). So, in short, if you can get an exemplar in good condition for less than some 100 to 120 bucks max., a TD105 isn't a bad idea at all.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Thanks for the advice. Seems it has a Ortofon F15E Mk II Cartridge. I'll keep an eye on it and see how the price/bids progress.
 
I dunno, man. I have no experience with that model, but it looks a little chintzy to me.

To be honest, that was my first impression as well. Also looking at a Technics SL-1600 (local buy) and a Technics SL-1300 on eBay. Neither of which are the MKII's that have the cueing issue.
 
This machine isn't chintzy. It does look different but it is superbly made. Especially for an entry level Thorens. And it's a real Thorens, not one of those later re-badged affairs at this price level. This one is also tweakable and has more in common with the older TD 145-TD 150-TD 160 lineup. Underrated.
 
Thanks, KentTeffeteller. Appreciate the input.

As I said. Appearance-wise, it was only a first impression. Nevertheless, info online is sparse at best regarding this model. Just putting in Thorens TD 105 in Google brought up mostly questions from other forums rather than any real info. Seems this model is not only underrated, but under publicized.
 
sg: Not quite - there are a couple of technical differences. For example, the arm of the TD104/105 has anti-skating via spring, the arm of the TD110/115 via magnet. And the subchassis design also is different - however, iirc, there only were significant differences in rumble & noise, when measured with a coupler instead of a test record. Both the TD104/105 and the TD110/115 probably could be regarded as sleepers, that often are overlooked, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Almost forgot to mention that the TD115 only does auto-lift & -stop, while the TD105 auto-returns as well.
 
Last edited:
sg: Not quite - there are a couple of technical differences. For example, the arm of the TD104/105 has anti-skating via spring, the arm of the TD110/115 via magnet. And the subchassis design also is different - however, iirc, there only were significant differences in rumble & noise, when measured with a coupler instead of a test record. Both the TD104/105 and the TD110/115 probably could be regarded as sleepers, that often are overlooked, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Almost forgot to mention that the TD115 only does auto-lift & -stop, while the TD105 auto-returns as well.

Other than that, I was right on...LOL
 
To revive & old thread. I've just seen a TD-105 at a local pawn and the first thing I thought too was "cheap-made" It was also missing the top platter & arm counterweight. But you say it is better than it appears, from what I read here?
 
Could not resist. Went back and got it. I remembered I had an outer platter & mat from a TD-115. Fit perfect. Has a Shure M104E P-mount, that alone was worth the $10. now I need a power supply & counterweight.

20190716_173914.jpg
 
Getting back to the TD 105 MK II!! Just picked up this beauty at an estate auction and am so impressed with it. Came with a Grado ZT + cartridge and good stylus. Didn't know if it worked before bidding, but took the jump and was well worth it. Only thing is--- Tone arm problems, I'm guessing just lube issues, but you all know so much, I thought I'd put it out there. Motor runs right, cue lever action is smooth and responsive, when I press stop, the platter slows down before the tone arm elevates, so you hear that slowing down sound on the LP, when it gets to the end, if it picks up to return at all, it doesn't make it back to the 'cradle' and drops just outside the rim of the LP. Thank you for your comments and suggestions!
 

Attachments

  • Thorens 1.jpeg
    Thorens 1.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Thorens 2.jpeg
    Thorens 2.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Thorens 3.jpeg
    Thorens 3.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Thorens 4.jpeg
    Thorens 4.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 5
I had a TD-105s with return issues. It turns out it was the light sensor that alerts the tonearm where it is. The sensor is on the auto-stop board. I bought 2 on eBay and one of them worked, and fixed all my issues.
 
Back
Top Bottom