• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

THORENS TD 145MKII vs. DUAL CS-5000

fonon

Active Member
Two good turntables - THORENS TD 145MKII and DUAL CS-5000. Which is better? Opinion needed!
f.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm just repairing a friend's Dual CS5000. You cannot compare the build quality of both TT's. Rather flimsy plastic parts in the Dual (some of them broken), a lightweight platter and inferior bearing. Go for the Thorens.
 
I'm just repairing a friend's Dual CS5000. You cannot compare the build quality of both TT's. Rather flimsy plastic parts in the Dual (some of them broken), a lightweight platter and inferior bearing. Go for the Thorens.

I have to agree about the CS5000 construction. I recently worked on a CS-5000 and I was suprised by the cheapness of the build construction. It is full of plastic parts and is nothing like the solid quality construction of Duals other models such as the 701, 1219, 505, 1019, 1009, etc. I sold my CS5000 and plan to keep my 701 for a long time.
 
I like Dual, I have a 704, excellent table also had a 1229 also excellent.
Never owned a 5000 so can't comment on them.
I have a Thorens 145 MKI, slightly different then the MKII, namely the arm and amrwand. The 145 MKII will accept high compliance cartridge (mm) and a few high output MC cartridges.
If you get the Thorens, you wont be disappointed, it's an excellent table, good quality tonearm, platter and overall mechanism.
 
Thank You for answer. The Dual-reference website characterizes CS-5000 as "Undoubtedly one of the best turntables ever made by Dual". I'm surprised that CS-5000 is low rated in your opinions.
Regards,
f.
 
Back
Top Bottom